The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 2, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,152 of 3,155
I haven't used my DX90 in many years - switched over to the DX220 when it was released. I did use my DX90 extensively from it's release up to the DX220 and checking back I stuck with FW 2.4.0. Found some issues with 2.5.1 and reverted to 2.4.0.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #3,154 of 3,155
Hi fellow Dx90 owners,
First post on head-fi. I bought a second hand DX90 2 years ago and paired it with an old Akg K501. At the time, I thought it might be the last DAP with removable battery and easy to access buttons. I don’t know if there are still many DX90/DX50 users around, I imagine many people let them collect dust because of their poor playlist management. For the sake of making the information available to even one person, let me tell you how I export the playlists created on a computer to my DX90!
Being a long time ipod user, it took me a while to find an alternative to itunes capable of syncing my ipod classic and ipod mini. I wanted a library with a nice interface and at least all the options Itunes had. I experimented with MusicBee and finally find a way to sync the ipods reliably.
When I acquired the DX90, I obviously wanted to sync the DAP through MusicBee. It worked well except the damn playlists would always be empty after importing. And if you own a DX90, you know there is no way you’d want create large playlists directly on the device. Some users on head-fi indicated that the Ibasso playlist were linux/android formatted and that the best way was to export a template and manually change the file path in notepad, what a chore ! Especially when i use smart playlist based on ratings or genres in MusicBee. But lo an behold, MusicBee could do it for me!!
So here is my method:
- Connect the DAP to your computer, both the DX90 and SD Card name should appear on the left side panel.
(If not: In MusicBee, select Preferences - Devices - Add a virtual Device - enter the path of the Ibasso player)
Note: if the player fails to be recognized, it can help to launch musicbee as Administrator

- Click on the device you want to sync, the second one should be the SD card. It opens the synchronize window where you can sync your entire library or playlists only.

-In Sync window select settings, look for playlist storage section, select save as format M3U and add " /mnt/external_sd/ " to path prefix for tracks
From now on, any playlist synced from MusicBee will have the correct formatting.
Check what you want to add to the device and click synchronise on the top right corner.

- The last step is done on the Dap. Go into directory - SD card - Playlist - Select your playlist, import it and…. wait (it can take quite a while depending on the number of tracks) . It will scan all the songs and create the playlist with its name in the My Music menu.

the only caveat is that you’ll have to repeat the last step (import playlist in the player interface) if you add tracks or modify the MusicBee playlist. It will sync the new tracks but they will not appear in the already imported playlist.
It may apply to other Ibasso DAPs, let us know.
Hope it helps

Cheers,
Julien

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back