The dreaded post
Feb 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dondoh

Head-Fier
Fairly new to Head-fi.
I have recently bought 6 new sets of phones with an idea to pick one or two to keep and sell the rest on the FS forum.
Folks here seem to suggest that I upgrade the source audio on the computer before I make the phone decision.
From reading this forum, I would have bought the Chaintech card, but it looks like that boat sailed a while ago.

So, now I feel compelled to ask the dreaded soundcard noob question...

I want to get an inexpensive soundcard to upgrade my current setup. What is out there?
I know this is probably the equivalent of the "best gaming phones under $100" post in the Headphone forum, and I am willing to take your derision for asking it, but ask I must...

I have a cheese-motic Dell computer with integrated audio.
I am fairly clueless, so any solution should be pretty entry-level. (I can put in a PCI card however.)
I have a small Xenos amp that may or may not help the situation.
I am a cheap person.

Help me please.

The current list of modest headphones are as follows.
Sennheiser 595 and pmx60
Grado sr80
Goldring DR150
Denon AH-D1000
Jvc Marshmallows
Koss KSC-75

Did I mention that I am cheap? I am looking for the soundcard equivalent of the KOSS's or Marshmallows. Inexpensive but passably good.
Cheers!

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 4
From my experience reading the forums I would recommend picking up an external DAC in order to avoid the electromagnetic interference inherent inside a computer case. I just got my DAC today and I have a laptop so I can't directly compare to your situation.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 4
I would recommend getting a DAC w/ or without a built in amp. Some are USB or digital, if you PC has a digital out you can use that or purchase a USB to optical converter.

These are a couple ive looked into under $200

The ZERO has a really good thread going for it.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/

The Zhaolu has seen a couple of updates.
Zhaolu D2.5a DAC & Headphone Amp

The Beresford TC-7510
Home HIFI

I own a SVDAC04, build is good and sound is better than PCI cards ive used (audigy zs, AV-710 using line out). Its my first DAC/AMP and have nothing to compare it to, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Pacific Valve & Electric Company DIYEDEN SVDAC04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back