The Doors vs. Jimi Hendrix.....Cast your vote (again) :)
Jul 25, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they aren't stylistically similar.

…duck!!!

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #62 of 78
It doesn't have to be a stylistic comparison.....

For me the poll was conceived because their lifespan was almost identical and their popularity at least in airplay is almost identical.

Yes...Hendrix is a guitar virtusoso first and foremost
whereas The Doors are more of a keyboard-based jam band with a charismatic frontman.

Even still.....the significance of Light my Fire could be compared to Purple Haze, or The End compared to Foxey Lady or Voodoo Chile compared to Riders on the storm, etc.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the poll was conceived because their lifespan was almost identical and their popularity at least in airplay is almost identical.

But those have absolutely nothing to do with the musical aspect of each side, so either way I am still lost on the comparison between both of these.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But those have absolutely nothing to do with the musical aspect of each side, so either way I am still lost on the comparison between both of these.

Well lets just end this part of the discussion here, as I have no way to convince you of it being a valid comparison. If it in anyway bothers you, you don't need to vote:)

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100 years from now people will know who Jimi Hendrix was.

Oh, come on…they'll know the Doors, too. "Light My Fire"? "Touch Me"? Those are like pop-rock evergreens.

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #67 of 78
Jimi Hendrix all the way
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #69 of 78
This poll is insane, what a choice to make! Both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Doors have been such massive influences on music at the time through to today.

My personal vote goes to The Doors, Jimi, no The Doors, No Jimi....

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #73 of 78
Jimi Hendrix is my pick. Both are excellent, though. But in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, I liked Jimi Hendrix's yellow/gold loafers and old boyhood chesterfield over Jim Morrison's Boy Scout shirt and drawings.

Cheers!

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jimi Hendrix is my pick. Both are excellent, though. But in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, I liked Jimi Hendrix's yellow/gold loafers and old boyhood chesterfield over Jim Morrison's Boy Scout shirt and drawings.

Cheers!

Jim Morrison was a freakin' Boy Scout?!! Oh my, I think my head just exploded. That is too much; the things you learn on Head-Fi!

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #75 of 78
Jimi Hendrix gets it by a small margin. Mostly because he is one of my favorite guitar players and has influenced my soloing technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back