The DIY'rs Cookbook
May 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,096 of 1,974
@Superdad: I'm having issues with the LPS-1 and Rednet 3.

The pair had been running fine for a couple weeks. When I returned from travel, the Rednet seemed to have lost power.
Now, every time I unplug and plug back the DC jack, the RN3 powers up (as indicated by the RJ45 LED) but it doesn't seem stable. The RN3 does not show in the Rednet controller.

Other PSUs > 1.1A work fine.

Could it be some kind of wear on the ultra caps?

Interesting.I have the Rednet3 and use an internal LPS with an output of %VDC and 1.5 amps. I wonder of the 1.1 amps from yours is at it's limit? i.e. the Rednet needs 1.2 amp more or less?

Here is my unit;

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,097 of 1,974
here is my unit
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #1,098 of 1,974
When I first hooked up my D16 to my HDPlex LPS it was a bit flaky. It would actually turn off on occasion. The culprit turned out to be a less that snug fit between the male DC plug and the DC chassis adapter. I replaced the chassis adapter and now it works perfectly. Just as another data point I also tied the negative LPS leg from the DC chassis adapter to chassis ground.

May 4, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #1,100 of 1,974
I assume that you are using a 'barrel' connector as your DC plug and receptacle.

While these can be easy, useful and convenient, it is all to easy to mis-match the plug to the receptacle which results in a current limiting connection, aka a CP (Choke Point).

As a result I rarely use them even when I can properly match them together.
Instead I tend to use XLR connectors which electrically makes a much more secure, robust and reliable connection.

Just a thought.

JJ

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,101 of 1,974

Attachments

• s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,102 of 1,974
Yeah those'll work MUCH better than barrel connectors.

JJ

May 5, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,104 of 1,974
I came across this article today and thought it would be interesting to share:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy
I've seen that article before and feel it is rather self serving.

In my experience every time I have substituted a LPS for a stock SMPS, there has been a considerable step up in SQ, without exception, regardless of what type of gear it is.
However these swaps have all been on digital gear, where the use of SMPS should have little to no effect.

And I know of no analog gear (other than benchmark) that uses SMPS as a stock component.
I figure this is for a reason.

And from my own measurements (which I have posted earlier in this thread), SMPS's ARE noisy and they contaminate the ground plane which spreads to other gear thru their common connection.

And if I were to hypothesize why they are trying to legitimize the use of SMPS's in analog gear, it would be to lower the cost of the gear to make it more competitive.
I figure this effort is due to the general lowering of the cost of the gear from the chinese as well as what Schiit offers, among others.

IOW I ain't buy'n it, both literally and theoretically.

JJ

May 5, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,105 of 1,974
I figured as much.

What made my Spidey sense tingle is where they said that SMPS DO add noise, but theirs are "specifically optimized for audio applications". Which I suspect is accomplished by adding $1 worth of CRC filtering components.

May 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #1,106 of 1,974
To me, the thing is, filtering out noise is no where as effective as not generating it in the first place.
And filtering it means sending it to ground, which just raises it's noise floor all the more.

This isn't a 'good' thing in my book, as my efforts at ridding my system of them has shown me.

JJ

May 16, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,107 of 1,974
Status Report…
Ok so NOW my system is in the middle of blossom action big time.
Finally…

And what it took was adding that last bit of silver AES cable with the tweako Focus 1 xlr connectors, after adding the 2nd Mutec 3+USB reclocker.

And the SQ of the entire system is not at a peak yet as the tLFF has not reached near it's previous best yet (let alone exceeded it).

But my head is on a swivel and my body is moving in counterpoint to my head, with my feet dancing under my desk.
And it doesn't matter what music I play, it's all grabbing my undivided attention and running away, with me in tow.
The Blue Danube along with many other lively tunes from the Strauss family are especially captivating, especially when they fire off those shotguns and other artillery… ;D

And NOW!
HDSuperDuperGlue
ALL New & Improved
and
Better Than Ever… :D

JJ

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,108 of 1,974
I modded my Mutec and Rednet to use a linear power supply, but I am having an issue. It seems that if I leave the Mutec on for about a day then I start getting popping and crackling noises in the sound. I have to leave the unit off for a while to "cool down" for the popping and crackling to go away (simply restarting it doesn't fix it).

I went back to the SMPS for now, and I haven't noticed this issue no matter how long I leave it on. I did not desolder the SMPS, but I'm hoping I can avoid that.

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

May 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,109 of 1,974
Did you measure the voltage from your LPS?
Both initially and after several hours then when the popping starts?
That would be the 1st thing I'd check.

JJ

May 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,110 of 1,974
Did you measure the voltage from your LPS?
Both initially and after several hours then when the popping starts?
That would be the 1st thing I'd check.

JJ

+1

If the voltage is too high you might be asking any onboard regulators to dump to much voltage as heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back