The DIY'rs Cookbook
Mar 28, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #976 of 1,974

There's still the potential for plugging in an AC cord and fry the board.
The DC barrel jack in IEC socket prevents that. It doesn't prevent the use of the wrong PSU voltage, though. 
rolleyes.gif

I agree. Not so safe.

Why not remove the 2/3 pins and drill out an opening for the chassis mount DC connector? Or just use a small piece of plastic or aluminum to fit in the IEC opening? Two holes for the bolts and one for the DC connector.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #978 of 1,974

There's still the potential for plugging in an AC cord and fry the board.
The DC barrel jack in IEC socket prevents that. It doesn't prevent the use of the wrong PSU voltage, though. 
rolleyes.gif

Yep, exactly what I said to the guy who helped me. Either way, nothing's 100% fool proof.

He still wanted to add earth ground even if we went the DC cable route, so that was another reason I went the route I did.

I think everyone will have their own personal opinion what they want to do, there really is no right/wrong way to do it. Heck, you could even just remove the IEC and run a cable through that hole (who would know).

I was even thinking at one point to remove the prongs and drill a hole through the cover and plug with one of these (DC jack mounted to cover).

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #979 of 1,974
Rednet 3 Linear Power Supply Install

Hi guys. Following on from JJ, Musiqboy here is my effort following the same parts count.

Initially I had the whole parts delivery but they sent me the 7V 12.5VA transformer instead of the 9V 12.5VA. I had no idea of that matters, but regardless I asked the sender to correct the order, and he then sent me the 9V unit. Unfortunately it would cost me almost the same (25 euros) as a new transformer to ship the 7V back to China via Registered Spanish mail, so I still have it here but not used.

First I fitted a new IEC block as I needed a way too add a fuse. As you can see I had to cut the aperture deeper and 2 new holes. It fits more or less ok visually, but is rock solid tight in the housing. I used a 2 amp slow blow, and the block has a noise rejection element as the Rednet block does. 

The 9V transformer wired up and in place. All the mains wire were run down the right side edge. I am on 230V so I did the X-OX-O connection to the input side. I wired the positive on top, and the negative underneath the board as JJ did. I used a small length of wire to the bridge to pair the pads as my wire was not so thick to split into a Y section. I used some wire that came with my HDPlex's spare connectors so should be ok.

Here is the LPS fitted As you can see I chickened out on the 2 5V+ leads and used the harness, even though I bought new crimping pliers. It was too fiddly and after six goes and making the plugs I gave up. So I split the harness down to 3 wires and used that instead. I fitted a brass clip for the earth mount which I solder connected.

Here is the whole thing installed.You can place the LPS in a nice big space away from the Digital circuits. Minor point, the screw top right on the LPS PCB is close to the heatsink, so in that case I used one of the smaller screws from the SMPS for that, otherwise the screw could contact the heatsink and earth it out. Not sure if that matters, but did it anyway.

I used the switch mains wires I didn't need to mess with the switch.

Before I plugged in the harness power feed, I switch the Rednet on, and the mains transformer output read 10.3 V AC, not 9V AC. Hope that is not an issue? I have paired up the X's and O's on the output, but could defeat them to be a single pair if that would reduce the voltage a bit? 

I then measured the LPS and it read bang on 4.96V DC, nice!

I have been running it for 2 hours and everything seems fine so far. I can feel a slight warm area on the Rednet top case above where the LPS heatsinks are. Not hot or anything, so should be fine.

I will review the sound in a few days after it has burnt in, but I can immediatly hear the treble is cleaner and micro detail is more obvious. The bass is a bit tighter and I think the general sound more layered / 3D. It is similar to the sound upgrade I observed with the Mac Mini LPS mod I did las year. Quite possibly it will improve more in a week or so after the LPS caps burn in.

So very happy, and many thanks to JJ for starting this thread and doing the leg work, and Golfnutz and Musiqboy for the PMs and extra information.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #980 of 1,974

Before I plugged in the harness power feed, I switch the Rednet on, and the mains transformer output read 10.3 V AC, not 9V AC. Hope that is not an issue? I have paired up the X's and O's on the output, but could defeat them to be a single pair if that would reduce the voltage a bit? 

I then measured the LPS and it read bang on 4.96V DC, nice!

AFAIK the only downside to a slightly higher AC from the transformer is a bit more heat for the regulator to dissipate for the voltage drop to 5vdc.

Nice clean job BTW.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #981 of 1,974
Congrats Astro. The changes you're describing sound like the same thing I experienced.

This made me laugh a bit - which is why I suggested you purchase additional JST XH headers and pins. It's probably the tool you were using which caused you issues. With the one I have, it works very well.

"As you can see I chickened out on the 2 5V+ leads and used the harness, even though I bought new crimping pliers. It was too fiddly and after six goes and making the plugs I gave up. So I split the harness down to 3 wires and used that instead".

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #982 of 1,974
  Congrats Astro. The changes you're describing sound like the same thing I experienced.

This made me laugh a bit - which is why I suggested you purchase additional JST XH headers and pins. It's probably the tool you were using which caused you issues. With the one I have, it works very well.

"As you can see I chickened out on the 2 5V+ leads and used the harness, even though I bought new crimping pliers. It was too fiddly and after six goes and making the plugs I gave up. So I split the harness down to 3 wires and used that instead".

Thanks Golfnutz. I think you fast forward to full monte sound quality as you used your already run in LPS. So far so good, very pleased. I think I am close to stopping upgrades on my system now, partly as I spent so much over the last 3 years, and also I am super happy with how it sounds. I was scanning around for another R-2R DAC with a more modern build like the Lampi GG or Aqua Formula, but my old school Audio Note DAC 5 (insanely expensive when new) sounds so good, I think I will stay as is. I bought it used last year and it is in good condition.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #983 of 1,974

So very happy, and many thanks to JJ for starting this thread and doing the leg work, and Golfnutz and Musiqboy for the PMs and extra information.

Congrats on the successful install. Glad I could be of help.
I'm sure you will enjoy listening to your system more as the lps gets burned-in.

In addition to the lps mod on my RN3, I acquired 3 MeiYAN LPS to power up the Live Clock and Mutec's in my digital stack and after running all my digital gear on LPS'S for about 2 weeks now, the LPS's have burned-in and settled quite nicely and the whole rig has developed an unbelievable crushing dynamics and tremendous air and space around the instruments. Vocals have an even more scary sense of Realism that I have not heard before. Lots of micro-details being revealed that I could barely hear before. The bass even plays about an octave lower without breaking apart and no distortion at all. I would say that all the remaining veil that I did not know was there have now all been wiped clean.

I highly recommend the lps mod and many thanks again to JJ for taking the lead and doing all the homework.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #984 of 1,974
Because I'm lazy
tongue.gif

I think I will have to resort to that, yes.

I don't want you guys to think I'm pushing this, just wanted to give another alternative. Probably should have gone this way myself, it seems to be the safer option.

Could use 2 or 3 wires from the power cord. Just cut the female end from the power cord and add the DC barrel plug (or 3-pin aviator connector, or XLR connector).

I searched for days trying to find a DC plug adapter or something suitable and didn't come up with anything off the shelf that would fit in place of an IEC connection hole.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #986 of 1,974

snip  

I'm glad we all were able to provide enough useful info to give you the confidence for you to take the plunge.

And as far as I can tell, all of this fussing is worth all of the effort expended.

It still makes me go hmmmm, that these mods are so effective, especially since we are dealing with cleaning up digital devices which should be immune from this sort of deterioration of the musical signal in the first place.

JJ  :thumb

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #987 of 1,974

snip  

I'm glad we all were able to provide enough useful info to give you the confidence for you to take the plunge.

And as far as I can tell, all of this fussing is worth all of the effort expended.

It still makes me go hmmmm, that these mods are so effective, especially since we are dealing with cleaning up digital devices which should be immune from this sort of deterioration of the musical signal in the first place.

JJ  :thumb

Thanks JJ. The sound is still improving, particularly the bass extension today. I would characterise the sound with and without the LPS mod is this:

Before the LPS mod

After the LPS mod

​It is hard to describe the effect, so this is my way of understanding it. The music is essentially cleaner, wider, closer to the source, less glaze or hash, deeper colours and more liquid but not in anyway soft, in fact stronger impact and leading edges. More texture and less grain, which is a very good thing to have. The corny adjectives of 'hearing things I never heard before' is true. These details were there before but partially obscured and not separated from the core. Now the music is more 3D and layered, and because of that you can hear more musical clues even as things get very complex. And to me it hands the DAC a clean sheet to work with, instead of trying to fix things in the digital conversion AFTER they have already gained noise and other artefacts. 

I had added LPS's to other parts of my system before, and a PS Audio P10 power regenerator powering the whole system, so I was aware of the 'garbage in - garbage out' of power supplies and theory. The thing with the Rednet mod is it is as 'cheap as chips' in high end hifi terms, and has a major impact on the sound, which in this hobby is quite rare indeed.

IMO the problems of USB are also noise and possibly the fact it was not designed specifically for audio, even though manufactures fit better and better USB boards, the issues still don't seem to go away. Ethernet over 1000 baseT sounds better to me, with very low latency. A weakness to the Rednet system for some might be it's 192K sample rate limit and non DSD. For me, that is not an issue, but the current obsession of HQPlayer and DSD conversion for some means they have to stay with USB. Also the Rednet box is not small or particularly easy to set up, but IMO is well worth the effort.

After experiencing the effects of a clean power source in a music system, it seems quite odd I never considered it before. I guess I trusted the mains supply as 100% perfect, not considered the huge effect it would have on the final sound. Trying to clean up that supply is now a big deal IMO.

So my view is flush out the whole system for noise and weak points, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #988 of 1,974

Thanks JJ. The sound is still improving, particularly the bass extension today. I would characterise the sound with and without the LPS mod is this:

Before the LPS mod

After the LPS mod

​It is hard to describe the effect, so this is my way of understanding it. The music is essentially cleaner, wider, closer to the source, less glaze or hash, deeper colours and more liquid but not in anyway soft, in fact stronger impact and leading edges. More texture and less grain, which is a very good thing to have. The corny adjectives of 'hearing things I never heard before' is true. These details were there before but partially obscured and not separated from the core. Now the music is more 3D and layered, and because of that you can hear more musical clues even as things get very complex. And to me it hands the DAC a clean sheet to work with, instead of trying to fix things in the digital conversion AFTER they have already gained noise and other artefacts. 

I had added LPS's to other parts of my system before, and a PS Audio P10 power regenerator powering the whole system, so I was aware of the 'garbage in - garbage out' of power supplies and theory. The thing with the Rednet mod is it is as 'cheap as chips' in high end hifi terms, and has a major impact on the sound, which in this hobby is quite rare indeed.

IMO the problems of USB are also noise and possibly the fact it was not designed specifically for audio, even though manufactures fit better and better USB boards, the issues still don't seem to go away. Ethernet over 1000 baseT sounds better to me, with very low latency. A weakness to the Rednet system for some might be it's 192K sample rate limit and non DSD. For me, that is not an issue, but the current obsession of HQPlayer and DSD conversion for some means they have to stay with USB. Also the Rednet box is not small or particularly easy to set up, but IMO is well worth the effort.

After experiencing the effects of a clean power source in a music system, it seems quite odd I never considered it before. I guess I trusted the mains supply as 100% perfect, not considered the huge effect it would have on the final sound. Trying to clean up that supply is now a big deal IMO.

So my view is flush out the whole system for noise and weak points, it will pay dividends in the long run.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Trying to adequately describe and explain what we hear, with words, has always been difficult.
Especially for those who haven't experienced the 'After', these words can ring hollow, or in some cases fully qualifying as eyebrow raisers and even eliciting autonomic scoffs.

I have been pursuing the effects that the mains supply and especially it's distribution in our homes can have for some time now and removing those pesky CP's (Choke Points) has revealed to me the individual effects each of them has, but even more significant is the sum total of their cumulative effects, and their effects thru time.

And this latest bit of fussing in removing the SMPS's from our systems is revealing yet further validation and in new directions as well.
And I think that all who have experienced these shifts can relate as the SQ takes on qualities never before even imagined, let alone described.

And to that end I have come up with another new re-tasked descriptor for these changes we are hearing.
I call it LEDI (Leading Edge Dynamic Impact) where each voice and ALL of its related effects (harmonics, room reflections and the like) are brought into much better focus, and to the degree that we can more easily immediately identify each bit of acoustic power and KNOW what it is.
Another way of describing LEDI and it's acoustic effect is when any 'voice' (technology or organic based) and ALL of its related harmonics, room reflections, and the like, starts when its supposed to and is not 'smeared' thru time, the results are most compelling.

It becomes very obvious, and we hear, all the more, into the music.

And I too used to think that since our systems use such small amounts of power and being so simple, with an amp & dac (no preamp or huge power amp) that none of this fussing with the power distribution would or should make ANY difference.
Until I experienced an undeniable SQ shift for the better, and then the flood gates opened and I've been on this roller coaster ever since.
Indeed this thread can be viewed as a chronicle of all this fussing and the cumulative results therefrom.

This, according to the 'standard way of thinking' makes no sense, and until experienced for oneself, is all to easy to refute and in a variety of ways, all of which follow the 'standard way of thinking'.

I mean just increasing the wire gauge of the power cables alone helps.
ASSUMING the rest of the system is 'up to snuff' so to speak, which I have written about previously.

And the fewer the number of CP's that remain, the MOAR the SQ change of reducing/eliminating those CP's that do remain, seems to make.

IOW as more and more of the system gets out of it's own way, the greater the perceived SQ increases are, after the reduction/removal of any remaining CP.

And lowering the noise floor of our systems, by not generating (as much) spurious, random, 'digital' noise in the first place seems to be a significant step up.

Just a few thoughts to mull over.

JJ

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #989 of 1,974

I don't want you guys to think I'm pushing this, just wanted to give another alternative. Probably should have gone this way myself, it seems to be the safer option.

Could use 2 or 3 wires from the power cord. Just cut the female end from the power cord and add the DC barrel plug (or 3-pin aviator connector, or XLR connector).

I searched for days trying to find a DC plug adapter or something suitable and didn't come up with anything off the shelf that would fit in place of an IEC connection hole.

This might be a better choice (no soldering needed). So if you had HDPlex, you could use standard xlr cable and cut one end and attach this to the end.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #990 of 1,974
  The female XLR-3pin connector has a push to release 'button' that gets in the way of removing the board from the chassis.
This means actually being able to remove the SMPS daughterboard is not gunna happen until the button is removed (I couldn't figure out how) or it is bent out of the way (which means the end of the button breaks off, which is what happened to me).
This isn't a big deal for me but for some it would be 'better' to leave the SMPS in place and solder the LPS voltage wires to the header pins directly.

Did you figure out how to get the latch off the XLR connector? The post someone linked later in the thread mentioned a SIM card removal tool with an unspecified modification. I tried some small flat metal objects in the top hole and wasn't able to get it to come off.

I am thinking about buying one of these LPSes with dual outputs http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-mirror-style-S130-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-supply-2-way-LPS-DC-5V-24V-/132021195239?hash=item1ebd1391e7:g:59AAAOSwuzRXeg55. I could use one +5V and another +6.3V to power both my RN3 and MC-3+USB. I am thinking about just running the wires directly so I don't have to hassle with getting connectors and fitting them to the chassis.

There was talk about wiring the earth ground from the LPSes to the devices they're powering, but you're just using a floating ground right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back