The DIY'rs Cookbook
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #46 of 1,974
Just talking about this quote above.

This is the inverse of a phenomenon that has been reported frequently over the past 20 years or so.... which is that people listen to music for shorter periods of time since the advent of Digital Audio.   (Which probably explains the shift back from albums to single songs, that became set in stone by the iPod Playlist.)

Digital Audio, using cheap components, has a hard, cold sound without details and without normal room ambience.  So, it is fatiguing to listen to Digital Audio for 99%+ of people.  This is one reason for the resurgence of vinyl.

So, what people are experiencing with a Multibit DAC with normal detail and ambience, is the actual musical performance. 
Not perfect fidelity, but close enough that the mind can actually listen without fatigue.

It's like an audio Event Horizon.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #48 of 1,974
It's like an audio Event Horizon.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaha

I like this analogy, a lot.

Do you mind if I 'borrow' it?
I may have to use it in the future…

JJ :thumb :thumb

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #49 of 1,974
A great piece of work on the Bimby and Gumby, guys! Looks like Schiit has lit a bomb under that market segment.

Since you have an unlimited budget, when are you going to throw a Musette into the mix? :wink:

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #50 of 1,974
The Theta opened my eyes so much earlier this year in May when I got one. I had the Uber and it swept the floor with it. I can justly say the Bimby is one hell of a DAC and your ears are all finally being graced with the musical bliss that the Yggy people were all dancing around about but with less overall resolution. If you have an Uber you should upgrade it or sell it cause it isn't worth listening to once you get the Bifrost MB

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #51 of 1,974
Just talking about this quote above.

This is the inverse of a phenomenon that has been reported frequently over the past 20 years or so.... which is that people listen to music for shorter periods of time since the advent of Digital Audio.   (Which probably explains the shift back from albums to single songs, that became set in stone by the iPod Playlist.)

Digital Audio, using cheap components, has a hard, cold sound without details and without normal room ambience.  So, it is fatiguing to listen to Digital Audio for 99%+ of people.  This is one reason for the resurgence of vinyl.

So, what people are experiencing with a Multibit DAC with normal detail and ambience, is the actual musical performance. 
Not perfect fidelity, but close enough that the mind can actually listen without fatigue.
I've been 'tracking' this and similar aspects that are changing as the equipment continues to improve, and as these improvements trickle down to lower priced gear.

The Bimby is the epitome of this, where HUGE improvements manifest in (comparatively) very inexpensive gear.
But the beauty is in matching this level of performance with equally as scaleable supporting gear in the same price bracket.

So in this case not only has this $1500 system 'broken' that '1 track at a time' paradigm it has done so in a way that negates its very existence, ie. you CAN'T stop listening.

Now there are other systems, WAY more expensive systems that can do this as well, but not ALL big bux$$$$$$ systems can grab ones attention,
and
not let go!

I expect to hear more of these types of reports.
BUT…
There are whole nuther levels/layers to this "and not let go!", that are just around the corner, so to speak.
I'm starting to see and hear evidence of this just peeking from around that very same corner.

And these 'further developments' will be noticed by more and more folks, AND these "'further developments'", will be a source of involvement directly with and IN the music few heretofore have experienced.

It's WAY frick'n cool when these 'further developments' kick in.

JJ

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #52 of 1,974
A great piece of work on the Bimby and Gumby, guys! Looks like Schiit has lit a bomb under that market segment.

Since you have an unlimited budget, when are you going to throw a Musette into the mix? :wink:

WELL, now that you mention it… :atsmile:

Have you got one you can donate, ya know for Science and Mom and Apple Pie, so we can gain more experience as we approach that "audio Event Horizon"? :atsmile:

I just thought I'd ask, is all…
You know in the name of science and stuff… :atsmile:

JJ

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #53 of 1,974
"Interesting Observation Alert!
Has anyone else noticed the comments being made recently, with increasing regularity, that people are finding it REALLY HARD to take their headphones off and STOP listening?"

JJ, here's an addition to your quote above. Now, a few months into Yggy on my desktop, the "fiddle factor" has gone way down for me. I haven't even bothered to unplug the HD 650 and listen to another can for weeks, haven't changed cables, tubes, nothing. Just ripping more of my cds, buying more music, and sinking into albums.

That doesn't mean I can't improve the system. That will still be fun, especially going to meets and listening to "new", but this is just so...relaxing.

Actually, it's the staggering transparency/relaxed presentation combination that has me knocked out. Will try to put some words to that when I have time.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #54 of 1,974
"Interesting Observation Alert!
Has anyone else noticed the comments being made recently, with increasing regularity, that people are finding it REALLY HARD to take their headphones off and STOP listening?"

JJ, here's an addition to your quote above. Now, a few months into Yggy on my desktop, the "fiddle factor" has gone way down for me. I haven't even bothered to unplug the HD 650 and listen to another can for weeks, haven't changed cables, tubes, nothing. Just ripping more of my cds, buying more music, and sinking into albums.

That doesn't mean I can't improve the system. That will still be fun, especially going to meets and listening to "new", but this is just so...relaxing.

Actually, it's the staggering transparency/relaxed presentation combination that has me knocked out. Will try to put some words to that when I have time.

Glenn, you need  to hear the Bifrost MB with the Project Sunrise III and HD650. Fiddle factor goes waaaaay down. Only ZDSE or Liquid Crimson steps the game up, but for 10x investment. Gungnir MB also gives more resolution, when desired, but at 2x cost. The modest system evaluated is a major player at not much money. However I see a lot of hours on the Liquid Crimson and BiMB in my future. There is something special happening with the parallel conversion of the AD5547 DAC.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #55 of 1,974
Glenn, you need  to hear the Bifrost MB with the Project Sunrise III and HD650. Fiddle factor goes waaaaay down. Only ZDSE or Liquid Crimson steps the game up, but for 10x investment. Gungnir MB also gives more resolution, when desired, but at 2x cost. The modest system evaluated is a major player at not much money. However I see a lot of hours on the Liquid Crimson and BiMB in my future. There is something special happening with the parallel conversion of the AD5547 DAC.

I'll bet it is special, your Gumby setup sure was impressive.

Plus, the Bifrost is a gem, fit, finish, and form wise. Mine is under wraps, semi retired.

The Yggy really is a big clunk on my desktop, especially since I don't like to stack components.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will return with some more suitable thoughts when I have a chance.

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #56 of 1,974
That Sunrise amp is a real sleeper.
To be able to pair well with both the 650’s and 800’s means it scales really well right along with the Bimby and with other ‘optional’ hardware tweaks (like a better outboard power supply, cables, etc.)
It has the best of all worlds, (runs in class A, NO feedback, tube and mosfet, 6 or 12 volt tubes, easy bias etc. etc.) all neatly setup in an easy to tweak/configure/tube roll/package.
And it scales REALLY well right along with the HD 650’s

Was the Project Sunrise III amp used simply because it was something that was "on hand"?

I ask because it is designed for 32-64 ohm headphones like the HE-500s, and the same guy has a similar amp specifically designed for high impedance headphones like the HD650, which he calls "Project Horizon III":

http://www.garage1217.com/G1217PRODUCTS/Guide/Comparison%20Guide.pdf

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #57 of 1,974
I'll bet it is special, your Gumby setup sure was impressive.

Plus, the Bifrost is a gem, fit, finish, and form wise. Mine is under wraps, semi retired.

The Yggy really is a big clunk on my desktop, especially since I don't like to stack components.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will return with some more suitable thoughts when I have a chance.
As I see it these sorts of comments are precisely what this thread is about.

What does, and what doesn't work for our systems and WHY!

Insights gained and shared hopefully will invite additional comments and so feed upon itself.

As the saying goes, "It isn't the destination, but the journey that is important".

JJ

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #58 of 1,974
  Was the Project Sunrise III amp used simply because it was something that was "on hand"?

I ask because it is designed for 32-64 ohm headphones like the HE-500s, and the same guy has a similar amp specifically designed for high impedance headphones like the HD650, which he calls "Project Horizon III":

http://www.garage1217.com/G1217PRODUCTS/Guide/Comparison%20Guide.pdf

Available that day were a Zana Deux SE, Violectric V200, Project Ember, Bravo V2 (blech!), Matrix Mini-i, Leckerton UHA-6SmkII, and a few others I can't remember right now. I chose the PS-III as I felt it provided the best synergy short of the ZDSE which wouldn't fit within a budget oriented theme. The PS-III is designed for 32-300 ohms. It sounds very special with the Bifrost MB and HD650, with an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7. Not bad for a budget system that plays in a much higher league than the modest investment would suggest.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #59 of 1,974

Hello AtomicBob,

I'm getting excited by my readings of the PS111.  

How long have you had this and where on earth did you discover it? 

Seems like you hit a vein.  

Tony in rainy Michigan listening to Van the man Morrison

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #60 of 1,974

Hello AtomicBob,

I'm getting excited by my readings of the PS111.  

How long have you had this and where on earth did you discover it? 

Seems like you hit a vein.  

Tony in rainy Michigan listening to Van the man Morrison

I first heard a Garage1217 Project Ember at a head-fi meet at BottleHead headquarters on Bainbridge Island awhile back. I was intrigued by this open frame hybrid amp. Then I picked up the Bravo V2 as it was a cheap (really cheap) open frame amp. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't sound all that good either. Then I noticed that G1217 also made a hybrid with a circuit topology similar to the Bravo (but the PS-III is designed correctly.) I took a chance and acquired one. The topology has a tube providing what it does best, voltage gain, and the output of the tube plate goes directly to the gate of a mosfet running class A, doing what it does best, current gain.

Am I glad now I took this chance. Subbing a Linear Power Supply for the SMPS, pairing with a Mousai MSD192 and HD650 and before i new it I had a rocking budget system. Recently we put the Schiit Bifrost MB in place of the MSD192. The evolved budget system busts preconceived notions that you have to spend enormous amounts of money to achieve auditory delight. Now I have other systems that can delivery higher resolution or greater (name your favorite parameter here), but they require a lot more investment. Sure the Liquid Crimson or ZDSE rocks. At 10x the price of the PS-III. And I do appreciate the Liquid Crimson and ZDSE for the extra performance that they deliver. Not everyone can justify such investment. So the goal is how far up the Receiver Operating Curve of price performance can we put a budget system. This one will be hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back