The DIY thread.....
May 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

akash neagi

100+ Head-Fier
As the name suggests this thread is about DIY projects!!!
But no strict guidelines like other threads as this is in the members' lounge feel free to talk about anything!!!!!

May 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 33
Hello!

I can imagine that sooner or later, soldering is going to come up.  And since not everyone is born with that skill or knowledge, here are some excellent tutorials from tangentsoft.com:

Tutorial #1: Basic Soldering Equipment — Tangent's advice on the basic equipment necessary for DIY electronics work. 27 minutes.

Tutorial #2: Basic Soldering Techniques — How to solder thru-hole components, plus basic advice for all sorts of soldering. 9 minutes.

Tutorial #3: Surface Mount Soldering Techniques — How to solder surface-mount components using only basic DIYer equipment. Covers SO-8 chips and 2-lead parts in 1206 and larger size packages. 14 minutes.

Tutorial #4: How to Desolder Electronic Parts — How to remove electronic parts from circuit boards. Focuses on typical tools and simpler part cases, but does touch on special tools and more difficult desoldering problems. 14 minutes.

Tutorial #5: How to Clean Circuit Boards — How to clean rosin flux from circuit boards. Covers choices for solvents, tools and techniques. 8 minutes.

May 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:
Currently I have started on something......
Headphone stands!
these are the two I am making!

akash, I can understand making the wood bits by hand for the first stand, but where are you sourcing the glass and metallic bits from?  Or are you going to replace that with wood as well?

May 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks for the links but I actually learned soldering from my father!!!!
he is a DIYer and a perfectionist!!!!!

As far as the wood and glass goes,
I live in Bangladeh,
We are a small yet proud nation beside India......
Scenario here is a bot different to the western countries.......
You can source pretty much anything here......
I am getting the glass from a local glass dealer and the tube on top is being custom made by a local welding company....

May 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:
Thanks for the links but I actually learned soldering from my father!!!!
he is a DIYer and a perfectionist!!!!!

Well, you know, maybe some of the other posters might need it.

Quote:
As far as the wood and glass goes,
I live in Bangladeh,
We are a small yet proud nation beside India......
Scenario here is a bot different to the western countries.......
You can source pretty much anything here......
I am getting the glass from a local glass dealer and the tube on top is being custom made by a local welding company....

Yeah, see, we don't do that here.  But we are the world's best at buying finished goods!  #1 in fact! 
wink.gif

Quote:

I might get http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aialls.html
as my first diy head amp........
any thoughts?

Um, wow.  I was going to suggest an Oatley K272C or something...

May 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 33
I'm an advocate of DIY anything really. If you are determined, you can build anything within reason even if you fail multiple times. Last year, I built a 1950s style guitar tube amp, a popular design of Fender style amp used on many studio recordings in the music industry. I was surprised that I was successful. But it was actually relatively easy because I bought the parts from a kit and there was a good tech support forum on the website with lots of helpful people, similar to what you see on the Head-fi forum. Here's the sexy explicit internal pic for you to enjoy.

May 13, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
I'm an advocate of DIY anything really. If you are determined, you can build anything within reason even if you fail multiple times. Last year, I built a 1950s style guitar tube amp, a popular design of Fender style amp used on many studio recordings in the music industry. I was surprised that I was successful. But it was actually relatively easy because I bought the parts from a kit and there was a good tech support forum on the website with lots of helpful people, similar to what you see on the Head-fi forum. Here's the sexy explicit internal pic for you to enjoy.

That is a thing of beauty........
hey how much did it cost you to build it?
I am going to buy a orange micro pix or a fender mustang 1.......
if I can make one for $100 I might not buy a fender or an orange.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back