The Dire Straits sound
May 24, 2006 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

luuk

500+ Head-Fier
Hey fellow members,
I'm searching for a band/bands that sound like the dire straits.
Most important: Guitar solo's(probably not the agressive ones)
Second: voice (easy to listen to)
Third: Great symphony(I like the dire straits so much because there is so much happening in there music but it still sounds relaxed and it's easy to listen to)

Any suggestions?

I understand that the description isn't really clear, but I hope you know what I mean. You've always helped me out so far, so I hope you guys will do it again this time
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Luuk

May 25, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 12
Perhaps this is obvious, but have you listened to the last 3 Mark Knopfler solo albums? If you haven't, go purchase them now and listen to each at least 2-3 times and report back.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
Perhaps this is obvious, but have you listened to the last 3 Mark Knopfler solo albums? If you haven't, go purchase them now and listen to each at least 2-3 times and report back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very important that. Very few are anthemic and the guitaring is very understated so they don't grab your attention at the first listen. The music is not driven by his guitar but by the overall melody. Besides the albums are really well recorded so you end up enjoying them more. I love his solo albums.

Edit: His solo albums sound like Dire Straits and not at the same time. I mean his song content is almost the same as what he wrote with Dire Straits but musically he experimented a lot. So there are Celtic, Scottish, Cajun influences and hence not as minimalist as Dire Straits was. I would recommend Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri-La to see if you like his new sound.

May 25, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah it's very obvious, maybe so obvious that I didn't thought of it?
Stupid me, I already had some on music of him on my computer.
Will listen to a few albums of him(I already know one of them, I think it's from 2002).
Thanks so far!

May 25, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
Hey fellow members,
I'm searching for a band/bands that sound like the dire straits.
Most important: Guitar solo's(probably not the agressive ones)
Second: voice (easy to listen to)
Third: Great symphony(I like the dire straits so much because there is so much happening in there music but it still sounds relaxed and it's easy to listen to)

Any suggestions?

I understand that the description isn't really clear, but I hope you know what I mean. You've always helped me out so far, so I hope you guys will do it again this time
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Luuk

This is a tough one. DS had a pretty unique sound.

My picks for closest sound/style:
Eric clapton
Traveling Wilburys
Tom Petty

May 25, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
Yeah it's very obvious, maybe so obvious that I didn't thought of it?
Stupid me, I already had some on music of him on my computer.
Will listen to a few albums of him(I already know one of them, I think it's from 2002).
Thanks so far!

I absolutely love Dire Straits and have since 78'. Also Mark has done many movie soundtracks that are quite good. Princess Bride, Cal and Local Hero to name a few. He's been on a country kick for the last decade. Knotting Hillbillies, Duet with Chett Atkins (awesome guitar, smooth and stylistic) and just put out a duet album with Emmylou Harris (just arrived yesterday, very nice sound).

You don't have to like country to enjoy these offerings.

No other bands I can think of capture that unique sound and style however.

May 25, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
Perhaps Aztec Camera

Hmmm? I love Aztec Camera, but wouldn't consider them that similar. Definately worth a list though! You may have heard their hit "Backwards and Forwards" depending on your age.

May 26, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 12
Nice, even more bands to explore!
Thanks for the quick input.
There's probably no band that can match the sound of the dire straits, but it also doesn't have to. I like it when a band is unique.
I'm searching for bands that play the same genre(don't know how to call that genre) and the bands named above seem to be pretty good candidates.

May 26, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 12
JJ Cale
tongue.gif

May 26, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 12
it might sound unlikely, but a band that sometimes came close to the 'dire straits sound' was jethro tull (in the 80s and later). don't believe it? listen to 'budapest' from 1987's 'crest of a knave'. it's like 'telegraph road' with flute.

there's also dire straitsey passages in roger waters' underrated first solo album 'the pros and cons of hitch-hiking'.

and another one out from left field:
the mark knopfler-produced bob dylan album 'infidels'. knopfler played guitar there, and you hear it.

none of those have the characteristic drive and groove, but your three wishes (voice, non-aggressive solos and relaxed yet intricate music overall) are there, to varying degrees. btw, i never held mark knopfler in awe for his singing, but the same can be said for/against dylan, waters and anderson
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back