the differences between ultra micro and more upscale amps
Dec 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi i currently own the ultra micro amp which is fantastic, sounds really amazing(i can compare only to my total airhead which was my first amp purchase) and i wanted to ask if there is a significance difference in sound in the more upscale headroom models such as: desktop line ,home line etc.

i guess the general sound signature remains the same(which i really love by the way! very precise and farward sound and warm when the music needs it)
but i would like to know if there is improvements in sound . and if it could be felt not only to high sensitive audiophiles listeners.
thx, an already satisfied customer!

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi i currently own the ultra micro amp which is fantastic, sounds really amazing(i can compare only to my total airhead which was my first amp purchase) and i wanted to ask if there is a significance difference in sound in the more upscale headroom models such as: desktop line ,home line etc.

i guess the general sound signature remains the same(which i really love by the way! very precise and farward sound and warm when the music needs it)
but i would like to know if there is improvements in sound . and if it could be felt not only to high sensitive audiophiles listeners.
thx, an already satisfied customer!

The biggest differences are at the power supply level and in the quality of the potentiometers. The Desktop Power Supply gives you most of that goodness, but in the Home there are dual supplies, separate for each audio channel for greater purity and channel separation.

In the larger amps the potentiometers are also better (the standard Nobel and Alps are good, and the Stepped Attenuator is excellent). These are slightly cleaner sounding to my ears, especially the SA, and have better matching between the levels of the two channels (again, especially the SA).

There are very minor differences elsewhere but the above components make up most of the difference.

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 18
Potentiometer: volume control.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

will the better power supply effect the sound noticeably? and what is potentiometers?

I am sure there will be a perceived effect on the sound, but to what level idk. I will try to post some thoughts soon seeing as my astrodyne PS's are currently "On Fedex vehicle for delivery".

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure there will be a perceived effect on the sound, but to what level idk. I will try to post some thoughts soon seeing as my astrodyne PS's are currently "On Fedex vehicle for delivery".

thx, i will be glad to hear your honest opinion about it.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 18
another question i have : is there a difference between the ultra micro amp and the ultra DESKTOP regarding the electronic part inside of them?
i know it's the same "max module" but are the size of the parts are bigger in the ultra desktop? are there some parts in the ultra desktop that are not inside of the ultra micro?
thx!

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

another question i have : is there a difference between the ultra micro amp and the ultra DESKTOP regarding the electronic part inside of them?
i know it's the same "max module" but are the size of the parts are bigger in the ultra desktop? are there some parts in the ultra desktop that are not inside of the ultra micro?
thx!

The Desktop line has more inputs and outputs which take up a lot of space as some of them are full size RCA's rather than minijacks. As I mentioned the volume control is also larger. Otherwise, there are more capacitors on the power input. And of course, there's the large Max DAC module in it. There is also the 'brightness' filter that is missing from the Micro (no space for it) which adds 3dB of boost from 1.5khz or 3khz depending on the setting.

Those things added together account for the size difference.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Desktop line has more inputs and outputs which take up a lot of space as some of them are full size RCA's rather than minijacks. As I mentioned the volume control is also larger. Otherwise, there are more capacitors on the power input. And of course, there's the large Max DAC module in it. There is also the 'brightness' filter that is missing from the Micro (no space for it) which adds 3dB of boost from 1.5khz or 3khz depending on the setting.

Those things added together account for the size difference.

wow!..."brightness filter"...!? thats a new one for me. and i presume this is a good thing right...? so basically youre saying that all this "little" changes are doing only good to the sound? but is it noticable? i mean..will i notice the change? cause i really feel that i havnt reached to the peak yet, i know i can get even better sound that what i have now.
but i dont wont to buy another amp unless it will be really worth it .
thx for your answer.
o2smile.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Related to the jacks on these units, since the micro line has minijacks and the desktop line has RCAs, what difference do people find with those connections, if any?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 18
The power supply makes a huge difference. I have worked the whole HR power supply chain with my Desktop: Wall wart->Astrodyne->DPS. I was amazed how much better the sound got with each step up.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The power supply makes a huge difference. I have worked the whole HR power supply chain with my Desktop: Wall wart->Astrodyne->DPS. I was amazed how much better the sound got with each step up.

would it be worth to upgrade my ultra micro with the dps power supply or the astrodyne will be enough?
maybe the dps can be too much for the ultra micro...? or there never enough?

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 18
That DPS is pretty spicy! Maybe if I could get it to power my DacMagic too, it would be worthwhile.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The power supply makes a huge difference.

Glad your digging it, but I'm not sure I'd call the stp between the Astrodyne and the DPS "huge". There's a difference, but there's a diminishing returns curve, too.

Money is tight these days. It's a good time to be realistic about these things. Gains are available for people who can afford them. But if money is hard to come by for folks, it's prolly spent better in other ways.

I do appreciate your comment, mate, but we'll just end up with returns if people suffer too much buyers remorse. And again, glad your digging your stuff; one good thing about our gear is that once you have it, you'll be able to enjoy it for a long time without spending more if'n you don't want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back