The Difference between AKG 701 & 702?
Mar 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #18 of 27
I've only had the K702s, but from what I've read I think that there is also a difference in the headband. The headband has a series of bumps on it that rest against the user's head. I think the K701s have a bump in the center of the headband that rests directly on the top of the head, whereas the K702s have two bumps on either side of the center, so that they don't rest directly on top of the head.

Supposedly this makes a different in comfort, as I've read about some people who complain about the centered bump on the K701s.

Edit: actually, I just found this thread, where the headband issue is discussed:

AKG K702 vs K701 comfort

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 27
K701 have a 4 wire cable all the way down to the plug, where as the K702 have 3, hence K701 can be easily reterminated for balanced.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only had the K702s, but from what I've read I think that there is also a difference in the headband. The headband has a series of bumps on it that rest against the user's head. I think the K701s have a bump in the center of the headband that rests directly on the top of the head, whereas the K702s have two bumps on either side of the center, so that they don't rest directly on top of the head.

Supposedly this makes a different in comfort, as I've read about some people who complain about the centered bump on the K701s.

Edit: actually, I just found this thread, where the headband issue is discussed:

AKG K702 vs K701 comfort

Actually, there's been some K701's that also have 8 headband bumps as of late. I'm not sure whether or not all the later production ones reflect this change, but over the last months or so I've seen many different pictures of 8-bump K701's. Whether that improves the comfort is another thing... I've seen plenty of people here with 8 bump K701/2's saying that it doesn't really necessarily improve comfort
redface.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 have a 4 wire cable all the way down to the plug, where as the K702 have 3, hence K701 can be easily reterminated for balanced.

The K-702 are just more easy to recable.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there's been some K701's that also have 8 headband bumps as of late. I'm not sure whether or not all the later production ones reflect this change, but over the last months or so I've seen many different pictures of 8-bump K701's. Whether that improves the comfort is another thing... I've seen plenty of people here with 8 bump K701/2's saying that it doesn't really necessarily improve comfort
redface.gif

Hmm...interesting. Must be that AKG changed the headband design for both models to try to improve the comfort. The K702s I had were the 8-bump design, and I didn't have any problems with comfort at all.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...interesting. Must be that AKG changed the headband design for both models to try to improve the comfort. The K702s I had were the 8-bump design, and I didn't have any problems with comfort at all.

I developed a very tender scalp followed by headaches while wearing the K702's. It took me a while to discover the connection. I haven't worn them for a couple days and I'm now fine.

Those darned bumps, and I'm not bald either.
angry_face.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 27
It's weird, when I bought my first 701 I found them very uncomfortable. The second time around I haven't had the comfort issues I did before. I have no idea why. Go figure...

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #25 of 27
Maybe you grew a callus on your scalp induced by the last pair. Now that you have the new pair, you're in business. I'll be checking to see if the same happens to me. My scalp is no longer tender. I'll give it another week and then try the K702's again. :p

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #26 of 27
The detachable mini-xlr cable is what made the difference for me. I also like the stage blue color scheme. This is the color that many stage hands wear while working so as to be less visible to the audience. Sound differences; probably not.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #27 of 27
I've got Serial# 40402 of the 701 and they're the 8-bump with nothing on the center portion of the headband. I find them to be my most comfortable headphone and they're brand new compared to the broken in 580s and M50s.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back