The Diary of an Englishmen trying to spend money on a high end DAP - all distributors and manufacturers should read this
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KT66

Headphoneus Supremus
I already have an HM-601 and Studio - could be a V or maybe not - who knows? 

So I am looking for that next big step, my final DAP for at least a year.

After doing 100s of hours research here and elsewhere I narrow it down to three

Colorfly C4 - plus points- great styling, no bad reviews, full UK dealer support, 
minus points, no hires flac and no line out

Ibasso DX100 - plus points has all the features I want, latest technology, everyones favourite dap here. 
minus points , a 638 page thread about bugs and issues, There is 1 UK dealer I can find who won't talk to me on the phone, and doesn't appear to have a trading address,  may or may not have stock, won't answer my question,

HM-801 or 901 - 801 plus points, many, I like the Hifiman sound, lots of support here, line out, not fussy about formats 
minus points - you can't actually buy one new, I  did see a used one in the classifieds and it is already sold to someone, good luck with that sale!

901 - could be the dogs danglies, will have no dealer support in uk - probably only available abroad next year so will end up costing £1000 with duty and import taxes

also looked at AK100 - not out in UK, lousy reviews, no line out (I plan to use this into my good 2-channel set up), can't play with one to see if the reviews are wrong.
They often are.

Call me old fashioned but I want to see and feel something working in my hand before I shell out over £500, or at best a face I can put the sale to, or at
very least talk to someone. I always quote my mobile on my messages.

So my choices are C4 from Advanced MP3 players, who I thought had put notice up that they were stopping trading? I could be wrong , very nice on the phone though,
at least made an effort, or Audio Affair in Birmingham, for whom I am an existing customer.

I have worked bloody hard this year, deserve this gift but can I spend my money easily? 
Can I f...

In this times of recession I am really surprised at this experience, having worked in hi end 2-channel retail for the most successful shop in the UK, maybe Europe, they
have survived for 40+ years, when everyone else around them has gone bust, they survived for a reason and it is not price, it is SERVICE.

They and I know how to sell, and how to retain a customer, I really want this industry to survive and thrive. But it seems doomed to me if this is a common story.

I might go with Audio Affair, I got my Voyager from them. 

Or I might just get a Troika re-tipped and buy some records.

Some c'mon Portable Audio Retail in the UK, get your act together and take my money
Please

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 3
If you happen to have a decent smartphone. Checkout Apex Glacier - connect the DAC to your smartphone. Some compare the sound DX100 but I havn't tried it myself. I know it's not in the UK but I tell you TTVJ is known for their good service.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 3
You've blown the bugs and issues regarding the DX out of proportion (at least in my experience).

Most of us ordered the DX directly from iBasso (shipping from China to N. America is usually blisteringly quick - compared to shipping within the continent - can't speak to shipping to the UK though), and they provide very good service - some of the best I've had from any company.

I'd say wait a little longer - things are happening with the DX100 at the moment to make it even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back