The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10,171 of 15,119
Recently I tried out two DIY headphones that have really made me question the value of stuff that's on the market. The first is LFF's Paradox, a modded T50RP that isn't available to the general public. This thing is ridiculous: LFF managed to make these sub-$100 Fostex drivers compete on the level of the HE-500 and LCD-2. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking I was full of it, and before actually hearing it I too would be skeptical of such claims. It also doesn't help that other T50RP mods I've tried in the past (RastaPants, BMF, various iterations of Smeggy's Thunderpants) weren't particularly impressive to me. I feel the Paradox is on another level however. Where it truly excels is in its neutrality: it's quite simply one of the flattest sounding headphones I've ever heard. Basically it's the full-size headphone equivalent of what I imagine the UERM to be like. This gives it a very specific appeal and sets it apart from both the HE-500 and LCD-2, providing another flavor to suit different tastes and float different boats; someone looking for a more stereotypical fun-sounding or euphonic headphone would probably do better to look elsewhere. 

Personally speaking however I find it to be an effective palate cleanser and serviceable reference point in evaluating other sound signatures, and as someone who doesn't find flat boring, I also think it's enjoyable in its own right for listening to music. Furthermore it's a closed design and isolates rather well, so by default it may very well be one of the best closed, fully isolating full-sized headphones out there right now. Aesthetically the Paradox is mostly unchanged from the stock T50RP; the main differences are new pads and the addition of a suspension headband, both of which vastly improve wearability and comfort over the stock model. As previously mentioned LFF chooses to keep his mods to himself, a decision I respect given the unfortunate precedent of a few individuals profiting off of others' ideas (such as replicating Smeggy's mods, even down to the Thunderpants name).

The other DIY project I've had a chance to sample is the StratoKOSSters. Created by head-fi member statocaster, this headphone consists of Koss KSC-75 drivers inside a custom-made Grado-type enclosure. First off, the build on these things is pretty damn nice:

The cups are made from mahogany and bloodwood, and the padding is lambskin. Very plush and soft. Very comfortable. I also dig the orange creamsicle dye job of said leather.

Soundwise, these are surprisingly capable little headphones. They're somewhat mid-centric in balance, with a very clear and nicely rendered midrange I find quite pleasant. They have good bass extension as well. On another set that was measured by purrin, he had commented on the bass volume lacking somewhat, but on this particular set I find it to be quite satisfactory, and I think this has to do in part to the different pads used and subsequently a slightly better seal being obtained. The top end is fairly mellow and laid back to my ears, which I like, though I'd say the highs are probably the least refined aspect of these and sound somewhat grainy. As purrin stated in his impressions, that's just a limitation of the drivers it seems. Imagining is fairly spot-on, and spatially they're in keeping with what I'd expect from a closed headphone, with an intimate but accurate presentation. Overall the StratoKOSSters are a pleasure to use, and I'm glad I had a chance to try them out along with the Paradox.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #10,172 of 15,119
Wait, the paradox is not for sale anymore? I kmew it was on sale in a limiged scale, since LFF didn't (i assume he didn't) want to make a business out of it. Well that's a shame. I dreamt of buying one along the ardous and long road (and way in the not-to-distant future) but looking at current happenings, i can see why he did it.

The description using it as a palate cleanser seems rather intriguing, sort of like eating the pickled ginger before eating different sushi.

Glad that you shared your thoughts on them. You've grown to be one of the more trusted mostly-subjective-impressions reviewer/member, considering how many people are out there that sounds too good to be true. Although i still haven't found many (or any) common ground yet, as mostly your impressions are of gear i haven't heard (and won't be able to hear for a long time still). The stratokosster though, that's somewhat more achievable.

Again, many thanks for the bed time read.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #10,173 of 15,119
I'll also second that on the Paradox. I love my pair! To be completely honest, it's actually very strange moving from a more colored headphone to the Paradox. They're quite flat, and it takes a moment to adjust to that. My only "complaint" is that the pads seem to soften up while being worn due to body heat and clamping force, and they sound a bit better after that period. In other words, I'm impatient. :wink: Still, LFF has made something truly excellent!

Thanks for the impressions! I'm still hoping I get a chance to hear the StratoKOSSter in the future.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10,174 of 15,119
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/my-wife-doesnt-get-it-an-audiophiles-quest-for-domestic-tranquility/120#post_8538944
Yeah, they're as heavy as they look.
wink.gif
Time for a muscle relaxer and a little sleep.

I hope you have the proper room for those, bass traps and all
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #10,175 of 15,119
Quote:
Recently I tried out two DIY headphones that have really made me question the value of stuff that's on the market.

Interesting, especially the Paradoxes. It's a shame the current environment drove LFF to keep his info to himself, but I understand the motivation.

I wonder, though, how much these two cans are a reflection less of what the real value of our equipment is, and more a reflection of how much labor is needed to properly optimize that equipment. The ortho thread has people who've built some amazing things, but they've also kind of transcended what any commercial entity could manage with similar materials after considering the hundreds of hours they've each each spent on tuning and tweaking. A hobbyist can afford -- or at least rationalize -- a level of selectivity that few commercial manufacturers could afford -- even boutique shops.

But I also wonder what a small manufacturer could do with a large enough stock of Fostex-supplied T50 drivers. The world needs more closed orthodynamics (I think the world needs more good closed headphones generally), and if it were possible to get close to LFF's quality at a reasonable price (by head-fi standards), I think the world would be pleased.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #10,176 of 15,119
Quote:

Ah, but see, that's a common misconception.

There have always been ridiculous headphones. There was the HP1000 HP2 in the late 80s. The R10 was $3,999 USD in the early 90s (which in today's money would be closer to $7,000). The Sennheiser Orpheus system was like $12,000 USD when it come out in the early 90s. Then there was the SR-Omega going into the mid-90s. In the late 90s Audio-Technica ramped up their flagship line, culminating in the W2002 for like $1,200 USD and L3000 for around $1,500 at the turn of the century. There was also the Grado PS-1 at around $1,300 and then the Ultrasone Edition 7 at around $3,400. The Omega 2 at $2,600. Etc. Etc.

Point being, there has always been a summit-fi. Now people are just more aware of it because more people are aware of audiophile-grade headphones as a whole.

To me there is more sanity in summit-fi than there is in consumer brand headphones.  I can understand that it is hard to maintain objectivity when reviewing lower end headphones and gear but to me the headphones you find in your apple store are where the insanity resides.  At least summit-fi have some understanding of the products they are buying.  What irritates me most is when people equate price with performance without any further insight.  For example B&W p5 to me has a $100 sound signature (not to mention confort) and a $300 price tag.  No idea why anyone would recommend it...

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #10,177 of 15,119
Thanks for the great read MF, I never even knew LFF was into the modding scene. I know RhythmDevil is a huge ortho modder and I read a recent thread from him about modding the AKG K550 sometime back. By the way do you still have the K550? Considering RhythmDevil is known for liking his gear as neutral as possible maybe checking out his thread and opening up your K550 and experimenting with his mods might be some good fun for you.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #10,178 of 15,119
I thought I might canvas some opinions: how similar does the HE-500 sound to the LCD-2? The reason why I ask is that I would consider a HE500 purchase as well, but I've only heard the LCD-2. Both seem like great options, but obviously the price of the HE-500 is much more attractive especially considering the Moon Audio sale.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #10,179 of 15,119
Quote:
I thought I might canvas some opinions: how similar does the HE-500 sound to the LCD-2? The reason why I ask is that I would consider a HE500 purchase as well, but I've only heard the LCD-2. Both seem like great options, but obviously the price of the HE-500 is much more attractive especially considering the Moon Audio sale.

What sale? I just checked the site 699 minus 50 bones with coupon code 50off. I haven't checked up on HE-500 pricing in awhile but 650 to 700 depending on where you buy them sounds about right. Not exactly a huge sale considering I once even saw them on Amazon USA being sold by a third party for 640. Mind you factor in the seller was charging a stupid amount for shipping which was something like 50 or 60 bones and the cheaper price no longer became so cheap.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #10,180 of 15,119
Quote:
What sale? I just checked the site 699 minus 50 bones with coupon code 50off. I haven't checked up on HE-500 pricing in awhile but 650 to 700 depending on where you buy them sounds about right. Not exactly a huge sale considering I once even saw them on Amazon USA being sold by a third party for 640. Mind you factor in the seller was charging a stupid amount for shipping which was something like 50 or 60 bones and the cheaper price no longer became so cheap.

10% OFF HEADPHONES at Moon-Audio.com  Valid 7-17-12 thru 7-22-12  Code = JulyTen

**Not Valid on Audeze, Grado, Recabled Headphones, & Promo Priced Headphones

This means I can get them for 629 with express shipping to Australia.

For that price I could actually buy almost two LCD-2's.

Edit: Wait, sorry, that wasn't including the shipping price it turns out. For $700 I would be better off getting them locally if I so choose. : P

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #10,181 of 15,119
Quote:

10% OFF HEADPHONES at Moon-Audio.com  Valid 7-17-12 thru 7-22-12  Code = JulyTen

**Not Valid on Audeze, Grado, Recabled Headphones, & Promo Priced Headphones

This means I can get them for 629 with express shipping to Australia.

For that price I could actually buy almost two LCD-2's.

Edit: Wait, sorry, that wasn't including the shipping price it turns out. For $700 I would be better off getting them locally if I so choose. : P

Lemme see here, after throwing in the JulyTen coupon I'm getting a price of 629.10 add in shipping of Priority Mail International of 37.99 to Canuckville and I'm getting a grand total of 667.09. That's not bad at all. Oh man why is it every time I see a good sale on I'm eitherer broke or I have my extra bones already earmarked for something else? Damn my rotten luck. I really got to get my IEM experimentation out of the way and get back to headphones.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #10,182 of 15,119
I'm thinking of getting the UHA4 in the coming days, but still have a few questions:
  • Would it save more battery life if using an amp instead of my phone/DAP since it took less power/volume from the source?
  • Which opamp for the least coloured/neutral/transparent sound, since I want to use it with a variety of (un)coloured headphones/IEMs?

I feel that I'm more mobile than sitting at one spot so I figured that getting the UHA4 instead of the Obj2 like I planned before is more appropriate. I thought of the UHA6 mkII, but I want the crossfeed, as IME made most of my songs somewhat better for me (this is compared using (un)crossfeed'd on foobar2k).

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #10,184 of 15,119
I'm thinking of getting the UHA4 in the coming days, but still have a few questions:
  1. Would it save more battery life if using an amp instead of my phone/DAP since it took less power/volume from the source?
  2. Which opamp for the least coloured/neutral/transparent sound, since I want to use it with a variety of (un)coloured headphones/IEMs?

1. Not really. The CPU, data seek/retrieve, and especially the display are going to be the primary energy drains anyway.
2. The default one. It's worth asking Leckerton, though, in case he has anything to say about your particular setup.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #10,185 of 15,119
The default OP-Amp used in the UHA4 is the 8610. It is quite neutral yet has a hint of warmth. The mid-range is the best part of this amp IMO along with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back