The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jul 17, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #10,111 of 15,119
Quote:
So the ODAC is here. It works with every other computer in the house except mine. -_- Initial impressions (running it straight out without amp to an Ety ER4S) - forward!!!! in my face!!!! aggressive!!! whoa!!! (not sure if it's a good or bad thing).

Yeouch!!

You do realise that the ODAC is terminated with 10k ohm and delivers 2V p-p but with near zero current?? No wonder it was so agressive, it clipped like mad. Beware
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #10,112 of 15,119
Quote:
Yeouch!!

You do realise that the ODAC is terminated with 10k ohm and delivers 2V p-p but with near zero current?? No wonder it was so agressive, it clipped like mad. Beware
tongue.gif

Wow I was confused for a while. 
Quote:
I wouldn't start that up, better to just leave a lackluster review.

No I don't mean to rewrite a scathing impressions, but just post what I've already posted here yesterday. Maybe end it with something like "I guess I can join the tin-ear club now.", but I don't think fanboy would look at the last sentence and just rip me a couple new holes on me, anyways. :\

On second thought, I won't be considering anymore. It messes up my anger management.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #10,114 of 15,119
I checked purrin's CSDs and FR of the dt1350, though not all. I might guess the store's demo model is one of the "good", but I think I want to listen to it again and compare to his 4 measurements again. Although I won't know too sure how my listening would correlate to CSDs. What to look for if I'm going to listen, and compare to the CSD graph? Or if there are any sound sample that's better than songs?

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #10,116 of 15,119
No I mean, after I tried it yesterday, I looked at the graphs. I thought that my impressions yesterday mostly sound the way the "good" measurement looks like. But as with audio memory, you can't be too sure as they deteriorate rather quickly. That's why next week I'm going to go and have a listen again, just to be sure. Or probably the store's dt1350 is yet another deviation of quality.

I still value subjective impressions as much as accurate measurements. I still can't understand why people tend to either be extremist subjective believer or overzealous measurement crusader.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #10,117 of 15,119
I'd just listen to whatever music you have on your playlist. You can stare at graphs all day long but they aren't measurements of your headphone.

+1. If it sounds bad to you, just go with that - it's like personal safety training: trust your instincts, they help you. At least you know better what you do and don't like now. :)

And yeah, I'd probably keep such impressions out of that thread/area - some people get too emotionally invested to have rational discussions sometimes. :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #10,118 of 15,119
Quote:
No I mean, after I tried it yesterday, I looked at the graphs. I thought that my impressions yesterday mostly sound the way the "good" measurement looks like. But as with audio memory, you can't be too sure as they deteriorate rather quickly. That's why next week I'm going to go and have a listen again, just to be sure. Or probably the store's dt1350 is yet another deviation of quality.

I still value subjective impressions as much as accurate measurements. I still can't understand why people tend to either be extremist subjective believer or overzealous measurement crusader.

It's better to walk the path in-between both lines. Have a balance. Although I'll trust my own ears any day over a graph. If a graph says something will sound like crap and my ears don't agree, I'll listen to my ears instead of the graph.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #10,119 of 15,119
It's better to walk the path in-between both lines. Have a balance. Although I'll trust my own ears any day over a graph. If a graph says something will sound like crap and my ears don't agree, I'll listen to my ears instead of the graph.

+1. The centrist view is usually the easiest line to walk, and usually involves the least grief and maximizes your fun. It's like food - you can be a zealot about health, and annoy everyone when you go out to eat, or you can be a glutton, and do much the same, but if you're like most people you'll probably try most anything at least once, and be satisfied. If that makes any sense.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #10,120 of 15,119
Quote:
+1. If it sounds bad to you, just go with that - it's like personal safety training: trust your instincts, they help you. At least you know better what you do and don't like now.
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, I'd probably keep such impressions out of that thread/area - some people get too emotionally invested to have rational discussions sometimes.
frown.gif

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'll stick with what headphones are supposed to first and foremost: give me enjoyment of my favourite music. If they fail at it, I won't buy it. 

@lee, thanks, I'll keep that in mind too. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #10,122 of 15,119
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/my-wife-doesnt-get-it-an-audiophiles-quest-for-domestic-tranquility/120#post_8538944

Yeah, they're as heavy as they look. :wink: Time for a muscle relaxer and a little sleep.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #10,123 of 15,119
No problem. That is the only reason why I am here. To find enjoyment in my music and to improve it if I can. In a sense that takes both listening to your music and your gear. The gear part is only to get more enjoyment out of my music though synergy and preference while others will take it to a whole other level. Just as people claim certain headphones/gear portray the music as the producer intended, I feel there is quite some subjectivity in those claims as well.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #10,124 of 15,119
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600088/my-wife-doesnt-get-it-an-audiophiles-quest-for-domestic-tranquility/120#post_8538944
Yeah, they're as heavy as they look. :wink: Time for a muscle relaxer and a little sleep.

While those are very gorgeous - I feel for you on the weight. Did you at least have a hand-truck to help you?

I think we'd also appreciate more pics after you get them set-up! :)

No problem. That is the only reason why I am here. To find enjoyment in my music and to improve it if I can. In a sense that takes both listening to your music and your gear. The gear part is only to get more enjoyment out of my music though synergy and preference while others will take it to a whole other level. Just as people claim certain headphones/gear portray the music as the producer intended, I feel there is quite some subjectivity in those claims as well.

+1.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #10,125 of 15,119
Quote:
While those are very gorgeous - I feel for you on the weight. Did you at least have a hand-truck to help you?
I think we'd also appreciate more pics after you get them set-up!
smily_headphones1.gif

+1.

At least he won't have to worry about someone walking off with his gear. They'd end up in the hospital for a hernia :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back