The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jun 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #8,958 of 15,119
Quote:
Or she had to have her joints drained. I hope it's your version.

Yeah well I hope shes doing OK and the only reason she hasn't been online is because shes having a bang up time with her new R10. Hope you're doing well Romy you have my prayers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well surprise surprise looks like AKG ripped a page from Monster's play book and got themselves someone whose face and music career could possibly sell a lot of headphones. Ladies and gentlemen be prepared for a new line of AKG headphones that DJ Tiesto himself would wear. Considering it's his name that will be used to sell these new headphones he better wear them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #8,959 of 15,119
Quote:

Well surprise surprise looks like AKG ripped a page from Monster's play book and got themselves someone whose face and music career could possibly sell a lot of headphones. Ladies and gentlemen be prepared for a new line of AKG headphones that DJ Tiesto himself would wear. Considering it's his name that will be used to sell these new headphones he better wear them.

Yeah, I saw those in the Full-size forums earlier .. I'm not surprised, AKG did their thing with Quincy too. I haven't heard the result, but from my understanding the Quincy line is a good sounding line. I don't actually mind these celebrity endorsed headphones that much, if they can keep up with sound quality. So I'm not too skeptical about AKG's attempt here - you do what you think you need to do to stay alive in todays business, it's understandable (even if it means you have to get a celebrity sticker on your headphones). Just don't compromise the sound quality.

I'm sitting here listening to jazz on my Pro 900 and I keep getting astounded by how well it performs in my opinion. I'm a bit surprised to see the amount of hate they get (I mean, not even Romy likes them). I guess I'm just an oddball.

Speaking of Jazz, it's an uncharted territory for me for the most part. I like Herbie Manns album and title song Memphis Underground, the mixture of that monotone background with the flute and distorted guitars is just .. wow.

Anyway, do you guys have any good recommendations concerning Jazz? Yes, I've heard most of the superstars already.. so I'd like to know some of those lesser known jewels.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #8,960 of 15,119
Yeah, I saw those in the Full-size forums earlier .. I'm not surprised, AKG did their thing with Quincy too. I haven't heard the result, but from my understanding the Quincy line is a good sounding line. I don't actually mind these celebrity endorsed headphones that much, if they can keep up with sound quality. So I'm not too skeptical about AKG's attempt here - you do what you think you need to do to stay alive in todays business, it's understandable (even if it means you have to get a celebrity sticker on your headphones). Just don't compromise the sound quality.

+1. I think Koss and the odd-ball Monster (like the Miles Davis and Earth Wind & Fire endorsements) products have struck a balance between celebrity endorsement and not being godawful products (all based on reviews; I'm not interested in the signatures of any of those products to be honest, but most of them seem well regarded for their prices - I really wouldn't be annoyed if my ESPs had Tony Bennett or The Beatles or Miles Davis or whatever written on them; they'd still be killer (my old ESP/10s actually have John Koss' signature on them - it was part of the design :rolleyes:)).

I'm sitting here listening to jazz on my Pro 900 and I keep getting astounded by how well it performs in my opinion. I'm a bit surprised to see the amount of hate they get (I mean, not even Romy likes them). I guess I'm just an oddball.

I felt about the same way about the PRO2900; haven't heard the 900. They're kind of a polarizing thing, Ultrasones. I mean, when the R&D head goes off and does a controlled study to see if people like S-LOGIC, and finds that Ultrasone headphones are statistically more likely to receive polarized reviews, what do you expect? :p

The quick'n'dirty is, headband issues aside, the PRO2900 are a sub-$500 (okay I think they're $550 list) dynamic that can really get in the ring with my ESPs and not come away with a black eye. That's pretty fantastic imho. :xf_eek:

Speaking of Jazz, it's an uncharted territory for me for the most part. I like Herbie Manns album and title song Memphis Underground, the mixture of that monotone background with the flute and distorted guitars is just .. wow.

Anyway, do you guys have any good recommendations concerning Jazz? Yes, I've heard most of the superstars already.. so I'd like to know some of those lesser known jewels.

What do you consider "superstars?" :xf_eek:

I don't like lots of jazz, but I enjoy Coltrane, and Nina Simone quite a bit. If you consider contemporary artists like St Germain and The Dining Rooms as jazz, I'd also check them out.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #8,961 of 15,119
Well, I've always liked Alain Caron he's a jazz bassist from Quebec. Very underrated musician in my oipinion.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #8,962 of 15,119
What do you consider "superstars?" :xf_eek:
I don't like lots of jazz, but I enjoy Coltrane, and Nina Simone quite a bit. If you consider contemporary artists like St Germain and The Dining Rooms as jazz, I'd also check them out.

My SR-60is have Joe Grado's sig on the headband (Headphone Lounge Brown Manta band). When he signed it he asked, "you like these?" and I said, "they sure won't be the last Grados I ever buy". He got a laugh out of that. I plan on transferring the band to some HP-1s when I can find a minty set. That's as far as I'll go with seeking celebrity endorsed products. :D

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #8,965 of 15,119
Quote:
Quote:

At least something new comes out of AKG once in a while. Not that a company needs  to come out with something new every year though. After religiously being anti-Beats and looking stupid while doing it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind them (and any other celebrity 'phones) at all, at least as the owners doesn't shove them into my face about it. But so far, none of my acquaintance have done that, so that's good. And I agree on the last part: just don't compromise the sound quality. What I'm willing to predict though: it's going to be bass-centric, so that's out of my radar altogether.

Hope you're doing fine, health-wise, MF.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #8,967 of 15,119
Quote:
The Piano Forte line is indeed the ultimate niche line of earphones around. I actually prefer the PF IX to the X. The midrange of the X feels even more lush and grand, making the IX feel relatively balanced in comparison IMO.

I have compared the IX with VIII for an hour or more sometime ago. Felt that the frequency response are a little different. VIII seems to go a lower and have a nicer bass while the IX have nicer mids and highs. Both were very close. I felt that the IX got more "magic" and went with it. Haven't got a chance to try the X though.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #8,969 of 15,119
Quote:
After religiously being anti-Beats and looking stupid while doing it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind them (and any other celebrity 'phones) at all, at least as the owners doesn't shove them into my face about it. And I agree on the last part: just don't compromise the sound quality.

I remember that the same was told about Apple products. They were overpriced though well designed with inferior characteristics. For example, it was an established opinion that IPods sucked in SQ department. Not anymore.

Beats just noticed that trend which Apple had brought to mobile market and went ahead.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #8,970 of 15,119
I think the F1s are a supremely cool pair of headphones and are under appreciated around these parts. I would much rather listen to them day in and day out than a lot of other higher/high end headphones that I have owned and tried for use in my office (HD800s, LCD2s, AD2000s, HE-500LEs, RS1s, PS1000s, GS1000s, HD650s, and quite a few others). All of those phones has aspects of their sound signatures that ultimately I found disagreeable or too distracting.

Both the F1s and MA900s are sitting side by side and I have completely gravitated towards Sony's newer offering. The other open pair of headphones I use at home are the Stax 009s, and there is no comparison there. However, the MA900s deliver enough of that high end feel to my ears that if I ever step back and truly realize what a ridiculous sum I have spent on hi fi headphones and components, I could scale back to the MA900s and an iPod and live a very content audio life.

I really like the Z1000s too and hope that an MA1000 is in the works.

As usual, that is just me though, and no one should ever buy a pair of headphones based on what I think.

The MA900s and a one pair of decent closed headphones and the audio journey will be over for me ( almost).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back