The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Mar 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,266 of 15,119

Quote:
Pretty cool store you've got there...

Yes.  It's a great, little place for people who want to get rid of music/games/videos that they don't use any more and great for music/movie bargain hunters like me.  I've been picking up a bunch of Diana Krall CDs for about $5.00 a piece and a whole bunch of other stuff as my music tastes expand.  Just finding a whole bunch of classics from my past, has been pretty fun.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #2,267 of 15,119
^That sounds awesome :D

Every once and a while I check out the local thrift shops but I rarely find anything that I feel like buying their. I tend to find more stuff at yardsales. Out here in the suburbs people tend to not realize what they have, so they sell very valuable (imo) vintage stuff for insanely cheap prices...

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #2,268 of 15,119
Dear Diary,

Thales, one of the earliest known Pre-Socratic philosophers, is said to have been so entrenched in his thoughts that one day he  stumbled into a literal trench because he wasn't looking where he was going. This singular act of klutziness makes for a prized story in the philosophic tradition. In one sense it can be seen as a warning: Thales was chastised by a passerby who asked how he could ever expect to understand such lofty matters if he didn't even notice what was in front of him. From another point of view however, it represents a turn from physicality toward an emphasis on contemplation. So great was his dedication to the life of the mind that Thales---for an instant---completely neglected the physical world around him. This moment is said to have ended with the careless thinker lying on his back in the dirt looking up at the stars.

Philosophy can only exist when there is leisure, or so it has been said. Yet we are also to understand that philosophy is necessary for our betterment, as a guide for living what the ancients called "the good life." The philosophy of the ancients aims to discern the truth, certainly, but it also seeks as its goal the achievement of happiness. For all of its metaphysical wanderings, ancient philosophy is at its heart a practical endeavor. Perhaps then ending up in a ditch beneath a Grecian night's sky is in one's best interest.

Myself, I've bumbled into door frames and failed to avoid the edges of tables on numerous occasions, but those are really only minor victories I suppose.

In some ways I'm like a stereotypical bachelor when my partner is away on business. Instead of cooking something, I'm more likely to just eat slices of deli meat and cheese. Perhaps I'll indulge in something microwaveable from time to time. It's not so much a matter of my lacking cooking skills as it is a lack of motivation when I'm by myself. On the whole most philosophy professors I know are incapable of taking care of themselves for extended periods of time. I at least have an edge over them in that I can dress myself reasonably well. I'm also blessed with a certain obsessive compulsive disposition, and this has served over the years as a safeguard against a messy living space.

The whole concept of blocking people on forums is an understandable measure to implement, in theory, but in practice I generally find its use to be a bit crude and unnecessary. As someone who genuinely dislikes drama, I don't like arguing for its own sake. Most of the time it's not worth the expended energy. I think reaching a diplomatic solution is preferable and genuinely possible often times. Blocking someone seems like the Internet equivalent of plugging one's ears and singing loudly. It's ignoring a problem rather than confronting it. On top of that, it's often a means for some people to "get the lost word" in an argument (or at least perceive this is the case, since they can no longer see the other party). This happens all the time even without invocation of the ignore function when someone makes the classic "I'll be the bigger man and no matter what you say I wont respond" speech. I think it ultimately boils down to an intense aversion to being in the wrong. We like feeling justified. I certainly like feeling justified.

The Fostex TH900 discussion thread has unfortunately derailed into all sorts of off-topic discourse: Recommendations for closed headphones, D7000 versus DX1000 impressions, electrostatics, orthodynamic mods, and so on and so forth. At least it's not the usual price justification and value-for-money debates. Hopefully the TH900 will start shipping soon, and mine will arrive from PriceJapan; I've been wanting to spend time with this headphone since it was first announced, back when it was just "the new Fostex flagship" and head-fi didn't even know if it was orthodynamic or dynamic. In a way I'm glad Fostex didn't go with an ortho for their flagship as much as I'd like to see a high-end closed product of that sort. It would have been hyped to the ends of the earth and back in that case, but as a dynamic it's mostly ignored.

It's rather unfortunate that the SRH1840 isn't getting more attention, though.

A bit surprising just how much sway certain voices have here in this community, certainly, but I can't attribute the lack of attraction to that entirely. These headphones do measure quite perplexingly. From a purely objectivist standpoint they should be awful. That, or some mis-measurement is to blame. Whatever the surrounding circumstances however, the time I've spend with them thus far has been time well spent in my view. They belong to a certain category of highly detailed headphones I find to be thoroughly easy (and pleasurable) listens; this classification positions them alongside the SA5000 and ESP 950 in my current roster. I'd say they share certain similarities.

I'm curious about the SRH1440, but that audition will have to wait.

The latest InnerFidelity update has me scratching my head a bit. I guess my tastes are completely at odds with Tyll's often times. The D2000 the strongest of the Denon lineup? The K550 "spectacular" and bound for the "wall of fame?" Uhhh... okay.

Diff'ren' strokes!

The two IEMs I've been listening to the most lately are the EX700SL and Heaven S. Despite my fondness for both, I find myself at a loss for meaningful things to say about them. They sort of just... are.

Both seem to be somewhat controversial in their respective lineups. The EX700SL in particular gets labelled harsh and unnatural; I find there's something to these criticisms, but at the same time the EX700SL seems to do certain things very right to my ears. In particular it has a certain presence, a certain something I like to call "thereness" and often harp about. It's a phenomena I'm always on the lookout for, and it's not so much an "out of head" experience as it is one's brain being lulled into perceiving sounds as physical manifestations of what they represent. Soundstage and weight both play a supporting role, however I've encountered certain headphones and IEMs with this sense of presence that are lacking in these other qualities. The results in these cases are generally interesting: a sense of physical presence within the confines of one's head or the sense of very real instruments floating around as if in zero gravity, respectively. The EX700SL is more inline with the former rather than latter. It's a cerebral experience, but it gives those phantasms a more definite substance. Its tone is artificial enough however to add further interest by giving what seems very present an unnatural quality. Much like a dream (or nightmare) that seems very real at the time.

As for the Heaven S, well, it's such a brilliant little object of desire with its shaved brass and gold-plated shell. I just can't say much at this point. There's an interesting set of contrasts at work, and FAD extends its art form to include both the sound and the packaging of that sound. The shell itself is Apollonian, bright and gleaming with a certain intensity in its appearance. The brown cable and ear tip add to the sense of masculine energy. Yet when you first wear them, you feel the distinct cold of the metal. I can't help but fall back on trite visualizations like frozen flames. The sound signature itself seems to mirror this: there's a definitely warmth and sizzle, yet plenty of analytic detail despite the energy being exuded.

Next week I should be getting the Piano Forte IX in, as well as the review units for RedGiant.

Since everyone seems to be posting music, I'll take it upon myself to contribute. The following track is from Pere Ubu's 1978 debut full-length The Modern Dance. For those unfamiliar with Pere Ubu, here is a brief plot synopsis: the band formed from the remains of Rocket from the Tombs, a neat band few people care about, in 1975's alternate universe Cleveland (kind of like Bizarro World, but less square). Their frontman was a chap by the name of David Thomas who was ---and still is--- rather enormous and probably mentally unstable. Their name comes from a French play, and they coined the term "avant garage" to have an answer when asked what genre they represent. They've broken up and reunited a bunch of times, though their more recent stuff is generally regarded as less interesting by interstellar authorities.

That's all for now I suppose.

XoXo

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2,269 of 15,119

Quote:
Dear Diary,

Thales, one of the earliest known Pre-Socratic philosophers, is said to have been so entrenched in his thoughts that one day he  stumbled into a literal trench because he wasn't looking where he was going. This singular act of klutziness makes for a prized story in the philosophic tradition. In one sense it can be seen as a warning: Thales was chastised by a passerby who asked how he could ever expect to understand such lofty matters if he didn't even notice what was in front of him. From another point of view however, it represents a turn from physicality toward an emphasis on contemplation. So great was his dedication to the life of the mind that Thales---for an instant---completely neglected the physical world around him. This moment is said to have ended with the careless thinker lying on his back in the dirt looking up at the stars.

Philosophy can only exist when there is leisure, or so it has been said. Yet we are also to understand that philosophy is necessary for our betterment, as a guide for living what the ancients called "the good life." The philosophy of the ancients aims to discern the truth, certainly, but it also seeks as its goal the achievement of happiness. For all of its metaphysical wanderings, ancient philosophy is at its heart a practical endeavor. Perhaps then ending up in a ditch beneath a Grecian night's sky is in one's best interest.

Myself, I've bumbled into door frames and failed to avoid the edges of tables on numerous occasions, but those are really only minor victories I suppose.

In some ways I'm like a stereotypical bachelor when my partner is away on business. Instead of cooking something, I'm more likely to just eat slices of deli meat and cheese. Perhaps I'll indulge in something microwaveable from time to time. It's not so much a matter of my lacking cooking skills as it is a lack of motivation when I'm by myself. On the whole most philosophy professors I know are incapable of taking care of themselves for extended periods of time. I at least have an edge over them in that I can dress myself reasonably well. I'm also blessed with a certain obsessive compulsive disposition, and this has served over the years as a safeguard against a messy living space.

The whole concept of blocking people on forums is an understandable measure to implement, in theory, but in practice I generally find its use to be a bit crude and unnecessary. As someone who genuinely dislikes drama, I don't like arguing for its own sake. Most of the time it's not worth the expended energy. I think reaching a diplomatic solution is preferable and genuinely possible often times. Blocking someone seems like the Internet equivalent of plugging one's ears and singing loudly. It's ignoring a problem rather than confronting it. On top of that, it's often a means for some people to "get the lost word" in an argument (or at least perceive this is the case, since they can no longer see the other party). This happens all the time even without invocation of the ignore function when someone makes the classic "I'll be the bigger man and no matter what you say I wont respond" speech. I think it ultimately boils down to an intense aversion to being in the wrong. We like feeling justified. I certainly like feeling justified.

The Fostex TH900 discussion thread has unfortunately derailed into all sorts of off-topic discourse: Recommendations for closed headphones, D7000 versus DX1000 impressions, electrostatics, orthodynamic mods, and so on and so forth. At least it's not the usual price justification and value-for-money debates. Hopefully the TH900 will start shipping soon, and mine will arrive from PriceJapan; I've been wanting to spend time with this headphone since it was first announced, back when it was just "the new Fostex flagship" and head-fi didn't even know if it was orthodynamic or dynamic. In a way I'm glad Fostex didn't go with an ortho for their flagship as much as I'd like to see a high-end closed product of that sort. It would have been hyped to the ends of the earth and back in that case, but as a dynamic it's mostly ignored.

It's rather unfortunate that the SRH1840 isn't getting more attention, though.

A bit surprising just how much sway certain voices have here in this community, certainly, but I can't attribute the lack of attraction to that entirely. These headphones do measure quite perplexingly. From a purely objectivist standpoint they should be awful. That, or some mis-measurement is to blame. Whatever the surrounding circumstances however, the time I've spend with them thus far has been time well spent in my view. They belong to a certain category of highly detailed headphones I find to be thoroughly easy (and pleasurable) listens; this classification positions them alongside the SA5000 and ESP 950 in my current roster. I'd say they share certain similarities.

I'm curious about the SRH1440, but that audition will have to wait.

The latest InnerFidelity update has me scratching my head a bit. I guess my tastes are completely at odds with Tyll's often times. The D2000 the strongest of the Denon lineup? The K550 "spectacular" and bound for the "wall of fame?" Uhhh... okay.

Diff'ren' strokes!

The two IEMs I've been listening to the most lately are the EX700SL and Heaven S. Despite my fondness for both, I find myself at a loss for meaningful things to say about them. They sort of just... are.

Both seem to be somewhat controversial in their respective lineups. The EX700SL in particular gets labelled harsh and unnatural; I find there's something to these criticisms, but at the same time the EX700SL seems to do certain things very right to my ears. In particular it has a certain presence, a certain something I like to call "thereness" and often harp about. It's a phenomena I'm always on the lookout for, and it's not so much an "out of head" experience as it is one's brain being lulled into perceiving sounds as physical manifestations of what they represent. Soundstage and weight both play a supporting role, however I've encountered certain headphones and IEMs with this sense of presence that are lacking in these other qualities. The results in these cases are generally interesting: a sense of physical presence within the confines of one's head or the sense of very real instruments floating around as if in zero gravity, respectively. The EX700SL is more inline with the former rather than latter. It's a cerebral experience, but it gives those phantasms a more definite substance. Its tone is artificial enough however to add further interest by giving what seems very present an unnatural quality. Much like a dream (or nightmare) that seems very real at the time.

As for the Heaven S, well, it's such a brilliant little object of desire with its shaved brass and gold-plated shell. I just can't say much at this point. There's an interesting set of contrasts at work, and FAD extends its art form to include both the sound and the packaging of that sound. The shell itself is Apollonian, bright and gleaming with a certain intensity in its appearance. The brown cable and ear tip add to the sense of masculine energy. Yet when you first wear them, you feel the distinct cold of the metal. I can't help but fall back on trite visualizations like frozen flames. The sound signature itself seems to mirror this: there's a definitely warmth and sizzle, yet plenty of analytic detail despite the energy being exuded.

Next week I should be getting the Piano Forte IX in, as well as the review units for RedGiant.

Since everyone seems to be posting music, I'll take it upon myself to contribute. The following track is from Pere Ubu's 1978 debut full-length The Modern Dance. For those unfamiliar with Pere Ubu, here is a brief plot synopsis: the band formed from the remains of Rocket from the Tombs, a neat band few people care about, in 1975's alternate universe Cleveland (kind of like Bizarro World, but less square). Their frontman was a chap by the name of David Thomas who was ---and still is--- rather enormous and probably mentally unstable. Their name comes from a French play, and they coined the term "avant garage" to have an answer when asked what genre they represent. They've broken up and reunited a bunch of times, though their more recent stuff is generally regarded as less interesting by interstellar authorities.

That's all for now I suppose.

XoXo

i actually learnt something from this post

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,274 of 15,119

Quote:
whoops sorry :p 

It's all good.

Quote:
Reminds me of my Western Civilizations class...Really nice post though. It almost feels like I'm taking an online philosophy course :D

I'm sure I'd get some confused looks if I started talking about my weird eating habits and headphones in the middle of class.

...Actually maybe not. Most of the faculty has their fair share of eccentricities.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #2,276 of 15,119
Quote:
I'm sure I'd get some confused looks if I started talking about my weird eating habits and headphones in the middle of class.

...Actually maybe not. Most of the faculty has their fair share of eccentricities.

lol, I'd hope your students don't judge you, but from the sound of it you've had an interesting experience so far :p

I don't know, bringing up the sheer value of your headphones probably would get the biggest stares. When I tell people how much my C3 or K271 cost my friends stare...Were only talking $100 and 150 respectively but that's $250 right there. I often get asked why I have so many headphones, when most people have one inexpensive headphone; going to school with a different headphone every day of the week seems weird. I just tell them honestly that I like listening to the different ways that headphones present the music. I don't bring up the quality of the headphones; if they ask to try whatever pair I have on me than they can. I've noticed that not saying anything before hand about my headphones at all gets more honest answers. If I started off saying "**** beats my boutique brand is the best, TRY IT" I don't think the individual will really listen to whatever headphone of mine they are trying.

I don't think I've ever had a "normal" teacher, whether it be highschool or college. All my teachers have been eccentric to a degree but they've been awesome. The most unique ones are the ones I remember the most. My current sociology teacher minored in drama so his lectures get pretty wild. In one class he started claiming out of nowhere that he takes medications for all sorts of serious mental instabilities and asked us if we wanted to see the gun he keeps in his bag and takes to school with him everyday. Of course he was being purely hypothetical; he just makes a gun symbol with his hand after taking his hand from his bag, But he was completely believable and gave most of us a scare.

My West Civ teacher on the other hand is a young lady, perhaps around your age. She has tattoo's all over her arms, I think I remember seeing an Anke on one...

I find my class lectures to be quite fun.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2,277 of 15,119
i actually learnt something from this post

You learned how to quote very long posts when you are the first reply?

Oh dear... you quoted me without editing it and now my humungous diary entry is showing up twice in a row lol.

LOL didn't even read this post before I made the part above ^

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #2,278 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

lol, I'd hope your students don't judge you, but from the sound of it you've had an interesting experience so far :p

I don't know, bringing up the sheer value of your headphones probably would get the biggest stares. When I tell people how much my C3 or K271 cost my friends stare...Were only talking $100 and 150 respectively but that's $250 right there. I often get asked why I have so many headphones, when most people have one inexpensive headphone; going to school with a different headphone every day of the week seems weird. I just tell them honestly that I like listening to the different ways that headphones present the music. I don't bring up the quality of the headphones; if they ask to try whatever pair I have on me than they can. I've noticed that not saying anything before hand about my headphones at all gets more honest answers. If I started off saying "**** beats my boutique brand is the best, TRY IT" I don't think the individual will really listen to whatever headphone of mine they are trying.

I don't think I've ever had a "normal" teacher, whether it be highschool or college. All my teachers have been eccentric to a degree but they've been awesome. The most unique ones are the ones I remember the most. My current sociology teacher minored in drama so his lectures get pretty wild. In one class he started claiming out of nowhere that he takes medications for all sorts of serious mental instabilities and asked us if we wanted to see the gun he keeps in his bag and takes to school with him everyday. Of course he was being purely hypothetical; he just makes a gun symbol with his hand after taking his hand from his bag, But he was completely believable and gave most of us a scare.

My West Civ teacher on the other hand is a young lady, perhaps around your age. She has tattoo's all over her arms, I think I remember seeing an Anke on one...

I find my class lectures to be quite fun.

your lucky last year my english teacher couldnt spell awesome

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #2,279 of 15,119

Quote:

I generally keep mine covered, as the faculty isn't quite as open minded about that sort of thing. There's another young professor who teaches Latin who has them all over his arms though, and he wears these goofy long sleeve shirts most of the year, which definitely sucks in the summer months (a good portion of the year here). He kind of looks like Waldo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back