The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Aug 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #17,506 of 21,761
Quote:
It is probably the Flash. Adobe has gotten completely out of control in recent years. If you google "Flash 100% CPU" you will see zillions of posts complaining about Shockwave & Flash eating the CPU. Flash & Shockwave have simply become horrid - they need to die. I would like to support Jude and head-fi - but if the choice is between having my laptop temp climb until it shutsdown or running ABP - well, sorry Jude...

I have to agree with this Flash has progressively gotten worse and worse. I've noticed how sluggish my browser can be at times on headfi. It can get so bad where the browser will freeze up and I'll have to kill the process and reload. This has been going on for a while now. Hell I even have errors on Adobe Reader when opening documents up lol. They use to have their crap together. Not any longer....

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #17,507 of 21,761
Quote:

I too cut my finger open cutting off support material! You can see the bandage in my latest video haha. I tend to bless every new technology product I own with my own blood.

I actually have been working on something cool in the past few days and I think I want to start a new 3D printing thread if it isn't already one here. :3

Nice to know that there is someone else here with a printer. Did you have any long term plans for it? :3

Yeah... the problem wasn't knifework, it's that the raft stabbed me.

Perhaps you could start a "3D printing for audio" thread: If it's general then it's best posted elsewhere IMO. Then we could all share audio accessory stuff we feel happy sharing.

I'm now 30 minutes into design of the PCDP stand. Decided to keep the overall shape, but I've enclosed the open side and put in extension buttons. I thought I might be able to print out the buttons in place with supports, so that I could just tap them out. So I test printed that section, and...

... not so much. The gap is there but the filament laying wasn't accurate enough to maintain a gap and supports - so the button is fused in place. I can't make the gap between button and hole much more as it'll rattle around too much. The support for the text also made it halfway illegible once I'd cut it away.

OK, I nix the buttons and print them out separately... fine. But the problem I now face is how to print the legends and the holes accurately. Obviously I need supports for the holes, but if I print with supports it will probably put in supports for the text as well and that detail will be screwed up again. Hmmm...

...Ironically all of this is much easier, or feels like it, with a commercial-grade machine. I guess I'll need to rummage around the gCode to delete the supports for the text.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #17,508 of 21,761
^^That's pretty cool, does makerbot use powder or that molten plastic stuff?

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #17,510 of 21,761
Quote:

OK, I nix the buttons and print them out separately... fine. But the problem I now face is how to print the legends and the holes accurately. Obviously I need supports for the holes, but if I print with supports it will probably put in supports for the text as well and that detail will be screwed up again. Hmmm...
 ​

What if you rotate the piece so the hole and the text is facing upwards? Wouldn't make the support for it unnecessary?

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #17,511 of 21,761
I have my Surface Pro and I quite like it. I think Metro is a really awesome touch based interface and so much more productive than Android or iOS for a mobile OS. Their mistake was to call it Windows. But then what else can you call it if the selling point is full windows backwards compatibility through that weird shoe horned old/new interface? It seems like a really awkward and painful transitionary design but I am impressed with Microsoft's cornered animal daring.

I have an HTC Windows 8X phone, and I agree with you - I really like it for all the things you really need to do with a phone: phone calls, email, texts, quick browsing and GPS navigation. If MS had kept it to phones & tablets, I think it would have been great. But Metro and the frameless windows are HORRIBLE on a desktop/laptop. Trying to create the "one OS to rule them all" is a stupid, stupid, STUPID idea...

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #17,512 of 21,761
I have an HTC Windows 8X phone, and I agree with you - I really like it for all the things you really need to do with a phone: phone calls, email, texts, quick browsing and GPS navigation. If MS had kept it to phones & tablets, I think it would have been great. But Metro and the frameless windows are HORRIBLE on a desktop/laptop. Trying to create the "one OS to rule them all" is a stupid, stupid, STUPID idea...

Very much agree. The tiled apps on the laptop/desktop are a nightmare of usability. If one could strangle an "app," I would have buried the body of Skype tiled app already.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #17,513 of 21,761
Quote:

My guess is that you'll be eating your words in a few year's time.

Either that or Apple goes and puts their 'innovation' on it and everyone will be too busy dancing around it in glee to notice that it is what it is.

I like Windows 8 in general on the right hardware... and that is kind of the problem. People are complaining about it on their (often crappy as well, not helping the issue) last-gen systems. 8.1 is probably when I go fully Windows 8 on my systems... at least, fully apart from the Boot Camped last-gen systems
wink.gif

I mean, the truth is that a lot of us nerds spent hours configuring things like Omnimo to get stuff to look like Windows 8. And it's a great launchpad in the way that OS X Launchpad most definitely isn't. The rest is Windows. Some people really have problem with a really very slight in the overall scheme of things learning curve... I don't, I have to say. Must everyone else take Apple's lead and mandate that all new computing tech be usable only by infants and over?

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #17,514 of 21,761
Quote:
People are complaining about it on their last-gen systems.

A mouse, keyboard, and finger print free monitor?

(I actually have no 8 experience, so feel free to elaborate...)

-Edit-

To clarify, I know that, in use and with Start is Back, 8 is basically a snappier 7, but your "last-gen systems" remark seems peculiar to me, especially in reference to the posts you're responding too.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #17,515 of 21,761
My guess is that you'll be eating your words in a few year's time.

Either that or Apple goes and puts their 'innovation' on it and everyone will be too busy dancing around it in glee to notice that it is what it is.

I like Windows 8 in general on the right hardware... and that is kind of the problem. People are complaining about it on their (often crappy as well, not helping the issue) last-gen systems. 8.1 is probably when I go fully Windows 8 on my systems... at least, fully apart from the Boot Camped last-gen systems :wink:

I mean, the truth is that a lot of us nerds spent hours configuring things like Omnimo to get stuff to look like Windows 8. And it's a great launchpad in the way that OS X Launchpad most definitely isn't. The rest is Windows. Some people really have problem with a really very slight in the overall scheme of things learning curve... I don't, I have to say. Must everyone else take Apple's lead and mandate that all new computing tech be usable only by infants and over?

It's not a bad idea, it's just badly done on desktop. There's often no indication to swipe which way, how much is there, what is where, how to do anything or get anywhere, even how to exit and what "exit" even means and why it's not consistent from app to desktop software. It isn't a problem of a learning curve so much as a needless learning curve. It has nothing to do with Apple.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #17,516 of 21,761
It's not a bad idea, it's just badly done on desktop. There's often no indication to swipe which way, how much is there, what is where, how to do anything or get anywhere, even how to exit and what "exit" even means and why it's not consistent from app to desktop software. It isn't a problem of a learning curve so much as a needless learning curve. It has nothing to do with Apple.

EXACTLY!

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #17,517 of 21,761
Quote:

I've upgraded from windows 7 to 8 on my laptop, and I LOVE it. My computer is faster, snappier, runs applications better, boots quicker, and I like that the metro interface is separate from the "desktop" interface. The outrage is simply overblown IMO, and comes from people who probably have never sat down with Win8 for more than 30 minutes.

The issue is that if you don't pay attention during first setup you'll miss certain tips they show you.

This is what Win 8.1 is out to fix, as well as adding a few tweaks along the way.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #17,518 of 21,761
An all in one OS isn't a bad idea if the integration is seamless from desktop to tablet to handheld. The problem is Windows 8 integration isn't seamless and that fact has nothing to do with Apple. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of coarse but it Microsoft doesn't wake up soon the so called giant is going to wake to a 10 ton monster chomping down on its throat. Right now both Google and Apple are experimenting into NFC as an answer to true seamless multi platform integration. If Microsoft thinks they can look the other way like they did with handheld revolution they're in for a shock as far as their future is concerned.

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #17,519 of 21,761
Oh it runs and boots really fast. I'm still impressed with that stride MS made, though booting into safe mode is a whole new thing lol.

But the separation between metro Start and desktop is part of the problem I think in that it's still required since it replaced the start menu, so it's never really separate. It's in a state of half integration. Don't know if that's been changed in any update, since I only use it on my father's computer.

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #17,520 of 21,761
Quote:
But the separation between metro Start and desktop is part of the problem I think in that it's still required since it replaced the start menu, so it's never really separate. It's in a state of half integration. Don't know if that's been changed in any update, since I only use it on my father's computer.

That's partially true. I guess their reasoning was that it would be unwise to suddenly antiquate the millions of applications that ran on the previous versions of windows.

With the separation of the metro interface, I have the best of two world...the power user desktop interface for when I need to get 'er done, and the metro interface when I just want to use apps and the like. It's like emulating my iphone on my computer.

If you'll notice, win8 doesn't even default boot to the desktop, and when you click the desktop icon it's like loading a separate entity altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back