The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3,768 of 21,761
Dec 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3,770 of 21,761
Quote:
I need to go to work today instead of head-fi lol.  Need to take a break this place......

じゃね

Me too. I'm going to be getting a fountain pen once my Tzars come in and try to redo my terribad handwriting into something better. Semester is over and other than my PS1 project, I don't have funds for much else due to Christmas/buying books for next semester.

Anyone got exp with fountain pens here? Thinking of picking up a Kaweco Sport, I like the looks of it and it's cheap.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,771 of 21,761
You'll be back quicker than I can change 
tongue_smile.gif
 my avatar! 

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,772 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
I need to go to work today instead of head-fi lol.  Need to take a break this place......

じゃね

Me too. I'm going to be getting a fountain pen once my Tzars come in and try to redo my terribad handwriting into something better. Semester is over and other than my PS1 project, I don't have funds for much else due to Christmas/buying books for next semester.

Anyone got exp with fountain pens here? Thinking of picking up a Kaweco Sport, I like the looks of it and it's cheap.

I'm loving my twin Pilot Falcon Metal fountain pens I picked up a few months ago. Absolutely a pleasure to write with...they glide.

I have Blue ink in the left pen, Purple inside the right one...

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #3,773 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm getting a Zana Deux soon, and was wondering if it's powerful enough for ortho's?

I own the HE-500's, LCD-2's and LCD-3's and I can tell you that claims as to what you need to drive any of those are greatly exaggerated.  I'd imagine the ZD is just fine for everything but the HE-6's.  Don't let anyone tell you you need an inferior sounding amp (compared to the ZD) like a Lyr or something for moar power.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3,775 of 21,761
Quote:

U-Boat makes cool-looking watches, but they're massive (usually at least 44mm and more like 46 or 48mm), and they don't exactly conform to haute horlogerie; they pretty much use off the shelf ETA movements, which is not worth it when it's >$5000 IMHO.

If you'd like an affordable mechanical watch, I recommend Japanese. Orient makes great quality mechanical watches that are done in-house, and the trusty Seiko 5 is always a great choice. There are some dark horse candidates from New Zealand in the form of Magrette, which uses nice Miyota (Citizen) movements or an US company that makes their watches in Switzerland called Xetum.

I've thought about a Xetum. I first heard about Xetum through Head-fi when they had a banner linking to a site selling Xetum. I've actually come pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Xetum Stinson but pulled back at the last second thinking I should maybe look around more. I like Xetum for the simple fact it's a nice sleek simple looking watch with a nice big round face that gives it an old school like look mixed in with modern minimalist. I'm not a big fan of leather straps so I would swap it out for a metal strap. From what I understand Xetum provides the customer with the option of choosing a metal band if you buy through their site.

The only leather strap watch I've ever worn would be back in the day when I bought a Fossil watch that came with one of those huge over sized brown cowhide leather straps with metal rivets on it. This is going back when I was in my late 20's when I could still pull off such a look watch wise and when Fossil was new to the mainstream and put out time pieces that felt well made and had edgy style and didn't look overly gaudy and cheap like they do now. I had that watch for 5 years original leather band and all until one day it was stolen from my locker when I was at the YMCA. I know Fossil isn't considered much amongst watch collectors but I still miss my old Fossil watch. Believe it or not if I ever ran across the same watch on a used for sale listing I'd probably buy it without a second thought just for nostalgia's sake.

As for U-Boat yeah I agree their stuff is monstrously sized. I think their stuff is probably as large as some of the Invicta watches you see being flashed around town nowadays by the late teen early 20 crowd. I consider stuff from U-Boat and Invicta more display pieces then time pieces if truth be known. I wasn't really thinking of buying that watch especially at such a price. I just thought it was a pretty nicely styled watch is all. Now if I could just find something similar in styling to that U-Boat watch and a bit smaller and under 500 bones I'd be a happy camper. This cheapo Caravelle doesn't look half bad but I doubt it will last the test of time and I'd be surprised if it was still in one piece 5 years from now. The Xetum, the only reason I haven't bought it is because it's such a pricey watch. It's not that I have a problem slapping down my hard earned bones on a good watch I have a nice 800 plus dollar Bulova dress watch I break out for special occasions. It's just I really have a problem spending so much on a watch that's meant for everyday wear. I also work as a bus driver and my hours are mostly at night. I really don't like the idea of wearing such a nice looking expensive watch in a big empty bus with some lowlife on board. It's asking for trouble wearing something that expensive. There's been other drivers I know who had expensive watches and wound up either losing them to some crook or getting patched up at the hospital because he fought tooth and nail to keep it or both. I could always keep it covered up of coarse which isn't a problem in winter but in summer our driving uniform consists of short sleeve shirts due to the heat.

I dunno, I seem to always have trouble finding something I like when it concerns clothing or mens jewellery. When I somehow luck out and seem to find something I really like down the road something always happens to either destroy it or it suddenly mysteriously disappears when I'm not looking. I just seem to have the worst luck in those two departments.

@kitki
Sorry, that's my final post about watches lol. I vote for the aqua blue by the way. It will go great with your eyes and your business suit lol.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,776 of 21,761

@kitki
Sorry, that's my final post about watches lol. I vote for the aqua blue by the way. It will go great with your eyes and your business suit lol.

I have solid green eyes, thanks for the suit and office idea though.  The blue / green do look quite classy (unlike my CIEM's.............................)

Edit:  I mean, dark chestnut ...............

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3,778 of 21,761
I know i said I wouldn't talk about watches anymore but

Pricing for this little beauty is only 1895.00 bones

I think I'm going to cry

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3,779 of 21,761
That's a big ass watch.

Also, I'm having a personal conundrum. Since I switched my order from an analytical Tzar 350 to the safer bet of the Tzar 90, I'm becoming curious as to whether I like an analytical sound. What would be a good option thats <$200 or so? Or if anyone has an analytical pair they wouldn't mind loaning to me for even a week or so? I believe the closest I've tried was the R-50, but those were more just hot treble than detail to me :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back