The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,966 of 21,761
Copied and pasted from the  VTF M-100 M-100 impression thread. For those who want to read a small still unfinished book feel free to hit the link and hope you enjoy my full M-100 audio journal. For those who want the quick and to the point read below. Be advised these are very early out of the box first impressions. Some of what I've noted can and probably will change

Quote: From The Audio journal Of A DigitalFreak
October 18 2012

The Eagle Has Landed

Well looks like all my ranting against Canada Post was a waste of time. After a long wait I officially received my M-100 today. I've spent most of the day listening to it off and on and thus far early impressions seem to be mostly in the positive. Ergonomically this can seems to be a very well designed headphone and I'm guessing a lot of man hours was probably logged on trying to get the shape and size just right for mobile use. When I first set my sights on the M-100 I expected a smaller form factor but I was still shocked how incredibly tiny the carry case and folded up headphones themselves were. It's almost as if V-MODA grabbed a M-80 headband ripped the cups off threw on a pair of larger housed 50 mm drivers then modded the metal gimble parts with a hinge that folds upwards and viola new super compact mid sized headphone. Seriously, when they're folded up they're even smaller then the M-80 making them easily far more mobile then the M-80. In the comfort department I'm glad to report they're very comfortable. I was a little worried these would be uncomfortable due to a couple of people complaining the shallow cups hurt their ears but thus far after 2 straight hours my ears are still feeling good albeit a little on the warm side. Probably the only bone I have to pick with it ergonomically thus far is these cans are not the most comfortable to wear around your neck. The cups don't fold flat and I'm finding my chin, because of the larger cups, hit the cups when I turn my head. When I'm looking forward it's not to bad but thus far I doubt I will be wearing these for long periods of time around my neck.

One of the first things I did when I got them home, besides listen to them of coarse, was install my custom shields. Now that was one huge pain in the ass and after installing them I now know why V-MODA included some extra screws in their shield kit. Put very bluntly, the provided alan key stinks when it comes to unscrewing and screwing in the custom shields. Take my advice if you have a scredriver use that instead of the provided alan key. Not only did the alan key slightly wear away the screw heads it left my hand red and sore from straining trying to get the alan key to firmly fit into the screws heads. After a good 10 minutes of swearing, gripping, and regripping trying to get a proper strong enough hold on the way to small alan key to get some torque behind my turning hand I gave up and threw the alan key in the garbage and got myself a proper screw driver. Ten minutes later both stock matte shields were off and my black custom croc skin shields with tribal art cross design were installed and looking very bad ass if I do say so myself. I would have liked the tribal art cross a little bigger but overall I can't complain the design looks clean crisp and rather nice.

Alright, time to get to first impressions concerning audio. These findings are only very early out of the box impressions so take them with a very small grain of salt. I'm going to need a few more days with the M-100 before I can arrive at final impressions.

Treble

1. Easily extends farther then it's M-80 sibling.
  2. While the M-80 highs are flat and smoothed over the M-100 has sparkle and authority behind it. I would have liked a little more edge but that's just me being a nit picker. Overall from the little I've heard I'm quite pleased with them and thus far I'm glad V-MODA decided to put a little more sparkle and above all more extension and air into the M-100 treble

Mids

1. While the M-80 went for a smooth fluid presentation in it's mids the M-100 took that smoothness leaned the sound out just a tad and brought in a lot more detail
  2. As commented by others the mids have a very slight U shape to them and although I do agree I would not call the M-100 a traditional recessed mid U like say the Sennheiser HD-25. The U is very very slight so I'm glad to report thus far I'm quite relieved that the mids seem to be working for me
  3. Slightly forward vocals but not as forward as I'm used to with say my DT1350 or Grado SR60i
  1. Guitars are full and crunch well. Probably on par with my more lush sounding HD-25
  2. Sound clear but still not as clear as my DT1350
  3. Although vocals sound great it's still doesn't match the glorious vocal reproduction of my DT1350. Easily beats out the HD-25 and SR60i though

Bass

1. Extends deep, not as deep as my Bayerdynamic DT1350 but it's not far behind
  2. Warm, full bodied, and elevated above all other frequencies
  3. Although warm it's still quite detailed
  4. Well behaved and bleed into the mids is very minimal or non existent
  5. This headphone can really rumble when the music demands it

Other Attributes Of Note

1. Prat is very good but not great. My DT1350 and Grado SR 60i are quicker
  2. Soundstage is wide and dwarfs the SR60i HD-25 and M-80
  3. Mid transitioning of highs and lows is smooth and overall presentation seems coherent (very little sibilance or bass bleed)
  4. When unamped it's passable but when amped this can shines noticeably. When unamped soundstage sounds compressed mids especially guitars seem blurred and bass loses extension. This can loves it when you throw some extra juice at it and accordingly it should be accommodated
  5. Some rock actually sounds pretty good with the M-100

Again I must emphasize these are very early first impressions and some of whats been noted above could and probably will change in a few weeks when I post my final impressions. Until then the only thing left for me to do is get back to listening to more music and allowing my ears and brain to further climatize to the M-100 sound signature as well as mixing and matching different gear.

Back in a few days fellow boppers

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,968 of 21,761
Quote:
Hey DF I've been teading a bit of that new m100 thread and saw that you guys are discussing about a wiki or chronicle of sorts. Why not make an article page like what the t50rp modders did?

Well that's up to the other guys. what happened was Val wanted to try and center all comments into one thread and add chapters so one of the original posters messaged asking if I wanted to help out trying to get everything in order so people could have an easier time getting information. A wiki was suggested but one of the original posters didn't seem to like the idea. Personally I say create a wiki and paste anything informative on it. can you link me to this article page please.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #1,970 of 21,761
Quote:
Japan presents....

Bagelheads

I swear that this topic came up in this thread before, but maybe I'm imagining things. Anyway, I saw someone with one of these a couple of weeks back (at a bit of an alternative night club event, shall we say) and it was interesting. It wasn't anything like these giant bagelheads, was just a small heart shape. It was interesting but, still, very gross. From afar I thought he had some kind of growth. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #1,974 of 21,761
Re: All this AT talk:

This all seems like exciting news. Audio Technica is a company I respect deeply, even though their house sound isn't always my thing. I feel very lucky to have owned the AD2000 for a bit; that was a gorgeous headphone. (Eventually traded it for some cash + EX1000's).

I'm endlessly intrigued by the CK100Pro and CKM1000. One day I have to listen!

Hello everyone! As a fellow Head-fier, I do have a very deep affinity and respect when it comes down to Audio-technica gears, they were the ones who helped kick-start this hobby of my when I was getting sick of those sub-50 dollars earbuds/IEMs when I moved up to higher quality music sources. Still remembered I just got started getting into Head-fi around 2004/2005 period by lurking around, back at that time in terms for the portable scene Sony/iRiver players were always very popular among budding audiophiles/enthusiasts, even more so than Apple back then since they only had Classics/Minis back at that time. Shortly after I got the Sony NW-HD5 I registered around here, but I have also been reading up on alot of Audio-technica headphones gears back at that time as the AD1000/AD2000 cans just got released too, but mostly could not afford them as I was still a student, so I mostly stuck around playing with mid-fi IEMs like the MDR-EX90 NUDE monitors and Panny's RP-HJE70 which were quite popular IEMs for its time as well.

The major changing point for me was in June 2008, after finally moving on from dynamic transducer in-ears to ATH's balanced armature ones. The ATH-CK9 was my first actual Audio-technica gear purchase I picked up (was also ATH's first BA made iem model), and I still remembered back then liked it more over the dynamic sibling CK7, mostly due to the latter having very boomy/flabby bass response to my ears, while the former had a very punchy and nice slam in terms of bass quality though not more in quantity, but it's adequate enough for me personally since I have always being more of a mids/treble person myself, and not really a basshead exactly. (back in those days those who can say that Audio-technica stuff are suitable for bassheads were probably out of their mind srsly, as back then there wasn't anything like the Solid Bass series introduced for the consumer entry line-up, although there are already quite some bass heavy cans at that time such as the ATH-L3000, but it's a truth that not everyone can afford the L3000 easily lol, at least not for my case)

Well ever since then, my growing love for Audio-technica is something that cannot be explained by mere words. So far my ATH gear acquisition history goes from something like ATH-CK9 > ATH-CM700Ti > ATH-FC700 (2 pairs, one in White one in Red) > ATH-ESW9 (my first ATH woodies) > ATH-CK100 > ATH-CK100PRO > ATH-W100 (my second and only full-sized ATH woodies so far) > ATH-AD1000PRM (my latest acquired ATH gear, apart from the AT-PHA05BT LTD edition bluetooth receiver+amp which I picked up ard the same time when I bought my Walkman Z series earlier this yr).

I can confidently say so far, I have never had the urge to sell any of my acquired ATH stuffs that I have bought so far, well with the exception of the ATH-ESW9 as they were abit too dark for my listening tastes, but I do still go back to them occasionally once in awhile to listen to slow acoustic/vocal jazz genres which seems to compliment these portable cans very well. My main qualms with the ESW9's is that their comfort fit doesn't fit my ears that well, while I have pretty small canals but my ear lobes are quite large for Asian people standards, so most of the time because these are considered supra-aural cans so they are usually resting on my ears instead of over them, which kinda strains the overall wearing comfort experience so in my honest opinion they were not exactly the best cans for me. I did not realised this when I tried it out at my local stores, only after owning them for awhile in my ownership, but their overall design and richness in their mids tonality overall more than makes up for its flaws. My favourite and what I would personally considered to be my best buy through out my ATH journey so far, is the AD1000PRM Air Dynamic series, this is honestly the same Audio-technica gear that has given me alot of surprises after my CK9/CK100PRO, for the price that I have gotten them it was truly a bargain and considering it was produced in limited quantities and based on the same Permendur 53mm drivers like the presently discontinued AD2000 flagship model. (it was new and came in sealed box with everything included, according to my japanese friend the store was having some sort of annual clearance during April, and because electronic denki merchants there usually have stock clearance during April since they are finishing the stock accounting for the fiscal work year of the prev year by March every year, so I got lucky and managed to pick these up brand new for a pretty good price)

Please feel free to ask me anything about the CK100PRO's if you wanna know anything abt them, we have 2 major audio stores here in Singapore and they do carry most IEM flagships from the other brand manufacturers, so I will be able to give you guys a feedback or something if some of you need some impressions of a certain IEM model against the CK100PRO. Unfortunately I haven't heard the CKM1000's for myself yet as it's not available here, but according to what I know so far from what my japanese friend told me + several online chinese review impressions gathered from various other forums, CKM1000 is quite a step back in terms of overall resolution details/transparency and blackness in terms of background. It has a fuller/thicker body in terms lower-mids/midrange similar like the CKW1000ANV wood model, but the CKW1000ANV has slightly more resonance/reverberation in it's upper-mids treble range in terms of the sound, most japanese people generally refer to this sound characteristics or properties as "adeyaka coloration" (which also stands for glossy-sounding or enchanting in terms of describing the sound traits) so I think depending on whether you have heard other ATH higher end stuffs before, it can be a love it-or-hate it thing and definitely not for everyone. Both CKW1000ANV and CKM1000 definitely has more bass body and response compared to the CK100PRO's, this I can confirm as it has been verified by my friend as well who has heard all 3 models.

re: AT AD2000, now that you mentioned it (it going scarce) this is going to be hard on me lol. I don't know how close the sound is it (AD2000) to the A1000x (I'm thinking not close at all) but really the aggressive look of the open back and my love for the 3D wing system (which, IME w/ the A1000X fits me perfectly) are what attracts me to the AD2000. That and just the scarcity of them amongst most Head-Fiers. Still, looking forward to the new model. And with this, hopefully the revamp of the whole AD series (so that I can afford at least some of the new line LOL)
re: VMODA M100, I think a little bass tilt, and possibly treble tilt, for any portable on-the-go headphones is a good thing, since IME, noise seems to be masking a lot of the lower and higher frequency, especially when I'm using the Metro (subway). Besides, they have those custom shields, which means I can flaunt my anime love. Somehow I am regretting not following the hype of these current Head-Fi darling and pre-ordered it. This would be quite nice to wear when winter just hit later this year. (No where in forever that it would be enough to combat -5 C (possibly not even 0 C) and below though).
Of the others on your 'interest list' MF, I'm most likely looking forward to your thoughts on the STAX IEM, the FAD "Pandora Trio", the UE900 and the TH600. Of course reading your impressions of the others is also great since I can't imagine even auditioning some of the more expensive gear here (both in Moscow and Malaysia) in the short term and medium term future.

To be honest, I don't see the reasoning to get the AD2000 right now when the AD2000X has already been announced, in fact I'm actually saving up for the AD2000X right now, and will definitely be writing a review impressions and A/B comparison thread for my AD2000X, against my own pair of AD1000PRM as well. I should have them by Jan/Feb period of next yr if nothing goes wrong in terms of my wallet, this year is kinda impossible for me already as I'm going on a holiday vacation soon and I think I have already spent enough for this year in terms of my audio purchases, having just bought one of the last few avail sets of TTVJ Slim as well before Todd discontinued them in favour of the latest Apex Glacier portable amps.

Unless you can get a pretty good bargain price for a mint used AD2000 through the buy/sell section, if not I would say it's probably a better idea to go for the newer AD2000X cans if your wallet allows you. I will re-quote this portion from one of the original posts I had posted previously in one of my local forums, this analogy is usually true from what I have heard before based on my impressions from Audio-technica's own Art Monitors line-up as well as their Wood series line-up, so unless ATH decides to experiment with something drastically new, I'm actually quite sure that the AD2000X model will surpass the previous AD2000 predecessor by all possibilities given.

Haonan said:
AD2000 is actually not a "brighter" can than AD1000PRM/AD1000, you can go search it up on Head-fi yrself, there's alot of consensus going ard that AD2000 is the more balanced headphone out of the whole AD series line-up, which is also why I believe Audio-technica decide to improve it further, and name it the AD2000X. Case in pt, typically for Audio-technica cans for their Art Monitors/Air Dynamic and Wood series, when a certain specified model gets upgraded to a latest iteration with the "X" denotation after the product model, it usually shows that it has a much linear curve in its overall frequency response, and usually the bass/treble extension get refined/improved further. At least this was the case for me when I tried out the A900X/A2000X models over their non-X predecessors, as well as one of my fav woodies of all time, the W1000X, W1000's bigger sibling and successor.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,976 of 21,761
Does anyone know of the pricing of the ESW11 yet? 

Amazon Japan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B009S336UQ/
Fujiya-Avic: http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail14492.html

Most popular japanese store merchants there have started taking pre-orders for the ESW11LTD's already, listed at 49,800 yen which should be approximately around USD 628 w/o including shipping and tax.

Cheers.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,978 of 21,761
Quote:
Amazon Japan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B009S336UQ/
Fujiya-Avic: http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail14492.html
Most popular japanese store merchants there have started taking pre-orders for the ESW11LTD's already, listed at 49,800 yen which should be approximately around USD 628 w/o including shipping and tax.
Cheers.

Sigh..... 

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #1,979 of 21,761

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,980 of 21,761
Quote:
 I saw someone with one of these a couple of weeks back (at a bit of an alternative night club event, shall we say) and it was interesting. It wasn't anything like these giant bagelheads, was just a small heart shape. It was interesting but, still, very gross. From afar I thought he had some kind of growth. 

If it were a small heart shape then it's likely to be an implant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back