The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #3,541 of 21,763

So you are true to your name ... Combat ...

Yep. That's actually how I got my nickname in the first place. MMA was said to be human "rooster" fighting, which I found rather laughable (no, MMA is not about touting two innocent small animals trained to kill eachother in the same area, MMA is a sport albeit looking pretty violent to bystanders) so I created the nickname "Fighting Rooster". In French, to be a little special

No, you are right, MMA is sport, it's not "the most realistic" since they are stuck on the floor hugging eachother all the time and that never happens on the street.  Even the way MMA fights often end won't happen on the street (tap out).

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #3,542 of 21,763
Quote:

Yeah, that's automatic constancy, which I actually think is an issue with fast-switching, time-aligned ABX tests.  My assertion is - even if it isn't - those variables increase the risk either way, yet of course this is just a "theory" and I haven't "proved it", so I'd get banned from hydrogenaudio for questioning their templar of servitude.

Do you mean that, for example, switching fast between a bassy headphone and a trebley headphone increases the perception of how bassy and trebley they really are, as we are comparing their sounds relative to eachother instead of a "ground zero" (so to say)? I guess my question applies to headphones with big "headstage" versus headphones with small "headstage"...

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,543 of 21,763
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you mean that, for example, switching fast between a bassy headphone and a trebley headphone increases the perception of how bassy and trebley they really are, as we are comparing their sounds relative to eachother instead of a "ground zero" (so to say)?

-5db treble versus +5dB treble becomes 10 in a fast switch, instead of +-0 versus +5dB?  That makes sense.

However, what I meant is if you are comparing two amplifiers, and the difference between them is 2%, then our mind makes that 0%, since it considers the 2% "confusing information", which is automatically deleted so we can concentrate on important, solid patterns, instead of slight differences.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #3,547 of 21,763
Quote:
OMG Xiao answered me and sent me a whole zip file full of pictures of a CIEM he made for me like 1 year ago?!!  OMG I have to pay for it ASAP.

Surprise CIEM? That's pretty cool, but also kind of stressful lol.

I still want a universal-fit custom from Gui Ling. I want to pair it with my universal-fit Rooth, and the two can be best buds.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #3,548 of 21,763
Quote:
OMG Xiao answered me and sent me a whole zip file full of pictures of a CIEM he made for me like 1 year ago?!!  OMG I have to pay for it ASAP.

Yay!

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3,550 of 21,763
Quote:
Yeah, that's automatic constancy, which I actually think is an issue with fast-switching, time-aligned ABX tests.  My assertion is - even if it isn't - those variables increase the risk either way, yet of course this is just a "theory" and I haven't "proved it", so I'd get banned from hydrogenaudio for questioning their templar of servitude.

Another way to think about it, continuing my color analogy:

Green is the label we give to a particular range of nanometer-length lightwaves.

If a given surface or cast light is in that range, it's green.

However, we don't experience green -- we experience greenness -- something either looks green or it doesn't. We do not experience greenness in isolation, because the greenness is in a context of other colors (or absence of colors). And so we do not evaluate greenness on its own, but only in context. And we are experiencing the color-ness of the other colors in the same way we are experiencing the greenness of the thing among them.

If everything was exactly green, green would have no meaning: Our perception of green comes in part from the contrasts and complements of green.

As a consequence, it is easy to fool our eyes. Something can look green -- emulate greenness -- when the context around that non-green thing can successfully exploit our assumptions about the non-green thing that appears green.

Objectively we can analyze that green-seeming thing, sniff and say "it's not green", and totter off to measure some reds. Or subjectively we can relish its peculiar greenness.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #3,551 of 21,763
I think sometimes this is why optical illusions tend to fascinate technical minds more than artistic minds. There's an extent to which the technical mind dwells on how what they perceive and what they know can differ, how this is a flaw to overcome. The artistic mind is more willing to accept that this happens, that it can be wonderful or awful, and use it as a natural phenomenon that allows them to do their work.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,553 of 21,763
I agree but did not express this verbally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back