The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #16,531 of 21,763
www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Electrostatic-Headphones-Earspeakers-w-Adapter-SKH-700-/171064699166

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #16,532 of 21,763
Kmart at one time actually had an electrostatic amp???? I'm floored to the point of being speechless.
blink.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #16,533 of 21,763
Jul 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #16,535 of 21,763
Quote:

Does anyone want a milkshake? :wink:.

I'll have a fatboy with all the fixings an a extra large order of onion rings with my shake. Make the shake chocolate please.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #16,536 of 21,763
An audio treat for the rocket geek:

Thank you JGray!! That was the coolest video I have watched in a looooong time! You made my entire day!!

I was surprised the SRB kept accelerating after separation until it had fallen enough to again start to hit denser atmosphere - then it slowed VERY quickly. I'm thinking the camera must be on a vibration isolating mount, or it uses some really good image stabilization (or both), because it was MUCH clearer than I expected it to be.

I miss the great things the US Space program could do. Something as amazing at launching a craft weighing tons into space became so mundane that we hardly paid any attention unless there was an accident. And then, all we can focus on are the few things that went wrong rather than the millions of things that went right. We need to strive to get back to a level of achievement where such things are not considered impossible or a waste of resources. We are in a time when scientists from all over the world can collaborate more openly and more effectively than at any previous point in history. NOW is the time to make great scientific progress.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #16,537 of 21,763
I just came from the post pics of your headphones thread. Check out the blast from the past below. I remember rocking a Walkman and similar looking headphones like that, my Sony logo was slightly different, as far back as 1984. The Walkman looks exactly the same though. I used to sit at the back of Math class bopping away while my teacher turned red faced and screamed I had detention for not listening to the lesson. My principal once got fed up with me being sent to the office so many times over my Walkman she took it away from me and wouldn't give it back until my parents came in for a meeting. My folks bought my Walkman home and then banned me from using it for a month after that meeting. They also took away my cassettes and Sony ghetto blaster. I still remember my dad complaining over all the allowance and birthday money I spent on cassettes. He made me clear out a corner of the storage room in the basement to accommodate the 4 boxes he stuffed full of tapes he grabbed out of my room. He nearly even packed my LP's away but decided against it since the turntable was in the living room and it was easy enough to watch that I didn't spin any vinyl. That was one long and boring month.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #16,539 of 21,763
Quote:
Thank you JGray!! That was the coolest video I have watched in a looooong time! You made my entire day!!

I was surprised the SRB kept accelerating after separation until it had fallen enough to again start to hit denser atmosphere - then it slowed VERY quickly. I'm thinking the camera must be on a vibration isolating mount, or it uses some really good image stabilization (or both), because it was MUCH clearer than I expected it to be.

I miss the great things the US Space program could do. Something as amazing at launching a craft weighing tons into space became so mundane that we hardly paid any attention unless there was an accident. And then, all we can focus on are the few things that went wrong rather than the millions of things that went right. We need to strive to get back to a level of achievement where such things are not considered impossible or a waste of resources. We are in a time when scientists from all over the world can collaborate more openly and more effectively than at any previous point in history. NOW is the time to make great scientific progress.

Oh man. Don't go there.

At it's peak Apollo was costing 1 dollar per taxpayer, and they killed it because it just wasn't good tv.

Canned the X15 project and we are just now getting to where it left off.

High cost of manned space flight is more than offset by the horrendous cost in lost applications and opportunities of NOT doing it.

Governments run their space programs like the minimum wage neighbour who's going to save his way to a million dollars.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #16,540 of 21,763
Kmart at one time actually had an electrostatic amp???? I'm floored to the point of being speechless.
:blink:

Yep, it was the same as the one sold by Radio Shack and Montgomery Ward (the latter being almost impossible to find, as there were only ~15 sets made as samples).

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #16,541 of 21,763
High cost of manned space flight is more than offset by the horrendous cost in lost applications and opportunities of NOT doing it.

Governments run their space programs like the minimum wage neighbour who's going to save his way to a million dollars.

I would heart you if I could.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #16,542 of 21,763
Quote:
Yep, it was the same as the one sold by Radio Shack and Montgomery Ward (the latter being almost impossible to find, as there were only ~15 sets made as samples).

Don't know about the USA but the Canadian version of Kmart was the 70's/80's version of WalMart, Rexall Drugs and Dollarama all rolled into one. Kids back then used to laugh at their parents when they bought stereos and speakers from that store because everything they sold sounded so terrible. My dad once bought a turntable from there and as frugal as he was even he took it back because he thought it was a terrible cheaply made turntable. The freaking needle dropped out second day in because the mechanism that held the needle was buggered up. i used to hate it when my mom bought my school clothes from there. The t-shirts had the dumbest designs on them. Now that i think about it I think the turntable was a low end Sanyo, not sure. When I was a teen it was either Sony or Pioneer or it wasn't worth it, lmao.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #16,543 of 21,763
Oh man. Don't go there.

At it's peak Apollo was costing 1 dollar per taxpayer, and they killed it because it just wasn't good tv.

Canned the X15 project and we are just now getting to where it left off.

No doubt - I think JFK is now considered BOTH the greatest proponent AND deterrent to the US space program. The X-15 and the lifting bodies were always the right long-term solution - but it would have taken much longer to achieve the big television milestones than the big von Braun rockets.

If you want to lose an entire evening, check out this site: http://falsesteps.wordpress.com/
It is a huge archive of blog posts about space vehicles and projects from all around the world that never made it. It is fascinating! One of them is the X-15B, which was a proposed follow-on to the X-15 that would achieve orbit. One of the biggest issues was the materials needed to withstand the high temps:

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #16,544 of 21,763
HEY GUYSSSSS!!!
I got the email from LFF a few minutes ago. My T50rp Paradox is in the final stages of QC and should be ready to ship by this coming Tuesday. WOOOOTTTTT WOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!
TIME TO DANCE FOR JOY

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #16,545 of 21,763
Quote:
HEY GUYSSSSS!!!
I got the email from LFF a few minutes ago. My T50rp Paradox is in the final stages of QC and should be ready to ship by this coming Tuesday. WOOOOTTTTT WOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!
TIME TO DANCE FOR JOY

Congrats! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back