bet you thought something else huh !

very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 8
that is very cool

Two old mediums-clapton and vinyl (clapton turned 58 today)

I heard about the release about a week ago then forgot all about it until today when it was announced this morning on the local radio station

a must have for the rickmeister collection

CD and vinyl

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I have been waiting on this one for a month and I forgot to buy it today.
frown.gif
Did anyone here buy a copy? How is his guitar work? Is the sound quality any good? The producer he has been using since Pilgrim gets the frequency balance all wrong IMO, he does it to bright and spitty sounding. I hope he went for a more natural rather than popish sound on this recording.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 8
I was at my local record store today, and the owner tried to sell me this. I was in the mood for something else. It did look interesting though.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

he does it to bright and spitty sounding. I hope he went for a more natural rather than popish sound on this recording.

i thought i was the only one who noticed this !

While i like top end clarity i do not like top end glare and some recent works are almost hard to bear at loud levels

almost sounds like input stage overload at the recording console

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Clapton did an interview on Bluesville (XM radio) last week promoting this album. He said that Johnson's music broke down into three or four different types, and that he was trying to cover all those types on the album. Since he was trying to cover all the types, some of the most famous songs were left off. I think he left off Cross Road Blues.
The songs they played sounded good, but with XM radio you can't really tell how good the recording is.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Bad news, this cd has that same spitty sibilance on S's. It sounds like they have some treble frequencies or treble band boosted to much. Moreover, like you mentioned rickfi, it almost sounds like break up on some hard transients.

I am going to email all the .com addresses listed on the cd sleeve and complain. I cant believe they dont hear this. Clapton is a major artist and could have any producer he wants; its about time he finds a good one.

I have read Clapton has serious hearing loss. I suppose he could be making the call and artificially boosting frequencies he cant hear. This is the LOUDEST recorded cd I have ever heard. I have to turn the volume down more ON THIS CD, than I do on any other cd I own. Maybe they are driving the electronics into clipping or miking it to close.
confused.gif
Good news is the music is very good. This cd has a cleaned up, but real 1920-30's blues sound to it, like he intended. Its still a letdown though.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back