The Devaluation of Classical Music
May 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 22

I'm not sure what you mean by remaindered in terms of CDs (the CD equivalent is cut-outs), but that's just not true.  I know the Stravinsky and Harmonia Mundi boxes mentioned appeared at around these prices, and there are no remainder or cut-out markings on most (probably any) of these.  They're just repackaged (and certainly more minimally packaged) versions of older recordings.
Quote:
Bear in mind that those cheap prices you cite are for second hand and remaindered stock. Plenty of people are willing to pay more for pristine product (myself included).

May 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
This concept of making recordings available at bargain prices is nothing new at all. Back in the LP era, many great recordings came out on Angel, Columbia, or RCA. Then a few years go by and the same recordings showed up on Seraphim, Odyssey, or Victrola. The pressings may not have been as good, but that was the nature of the LP beast.

The concept is not new, but the fall in pricing is.  The budget classical LPs (of A-list performers) used to cost about 30% less than full-priced, not 90% less.

I should add that I have some Seraphim's and Victrola's that sound very nice.  Last night I listened to Leonid Kogan on a friggin' Dynaflex Victrola and it still sounded pretty darn good except for congested orchestra fortissimos. Can't say the same about Odyssey.

May 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 22
I suspect that theta the labels are playing on the ignorant bias of newbies towards judging the quality of a recording by the label. When I started out, the yellow box with the title had to be at the top or I turned my nose up at it. I later learned better and found great stuff on all labels. But I think the packaging and the trend towards buying a hundred CDs of Mozart or Beethoven in a single pop is aimed at newbies.

May 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
Those buildings are ugly! Stupid postmodern gimmick buildings, grumble.... The French one looks like it's already collapsed. And its interior might have looked really futuristic in 1965.

You meant to say "surrendered", non?

May 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 22
I'd rather see classical music performed in open areas and shopping courts where the people are than to entomb it in space age musoleums

May 22, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
I'd rather see classical music performed in open areas and shopping courts where the people are than to entomb it in space age musoleums

In comparison of an open area (Hollywood Bowl/Central Park) vs something closed (like the NY Phil or the Met) I prefer the closed one as the sound is more consistent, but in some places I have found the really cheap seats (ones where you can't see the performers) tend to have the best sound.  I know there's science behind this but I don't remember, it's been years since I cracked up a text book.

But I would like to see more music played in the open.  Sometimes I find a rare treat in a classical train musician playing on the subway platforms.  The cheap price of entry to hear it doesn't hurt either 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back