The Dental Thread
Aug 21, 2006 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Didn't see one before.

My Barmitzvah's coming up next week and the week after that we are doing all the photos so there will be lots of smiling. Now I realise my teeth are crookid because my mom never took me to the orthodontist like she was told to by the Dentish (she believed this crowding thing will work itself out or they can yank out my teeth, but considering all my teeth are adult ones now I am a bit worried I'm stuck with these crowded teeth unless the orthodontist can still do soemthing for me, but I really don't want braces.)

Anyway, because my Barmitzvah's coming up, I've begun brushing after every meal, so atleast 3-4 times a day or more. I've bought a cheapo ORAl-B electric toothbrush (rechargerable) and some colgate platinum whitening tooth paste. I also bought some whitening gum last night and have already chewed 7 pieces. My teeth are certainly getting a bit whiter, but that could be becasue before I wasn't treating them this well and sometimes brushing 1 time a day or not at all if I was feeling lazy (I've smartened up now.)

I am going to see the dentist Tuesday for a cleaning and to discuss whitening techniques. I am thinking I'll be recommended the crest whitestrips or whatever, which I hope do the trick. When my mom was on the phone booking the appointment she also mentioned an Oral B electric toothbrush. I am guessing she is talking about the more expensive ones like the Triumph (which I think I will buy if she says it's an good idea.) Does anybody have experience with the whitening strips, are they a PITA to use, and are they bad for your teeth? Is it possible within 2 weeks to whiten your teeth decently by treating them well and brushing a lot, using the strips, chewing the gum, and going for a dental cleaning (maybe I'll get my teeth whitened at the Dentist if it's possible Tuesday, no idea.)

Anyway, that's my little dilemma. So what's yours? Have teeth problems? Share them! Did you recently have your teeth professionally whitened? Tell us about your experience. Did you recently have major surgery done? Share your story with us. Are your teeth white as can be, with perfect placement (perfect smile) and no teeth problems? Tell us, so we can envy you.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Didn't see one before.

My Barmitzvah's coming up next week and the week after that we are doing all the photos so there will be lots of smiling. Now I realise my teeth are crookid because my mom never took me to the orthodontist like she was told to by the Dentish (she believed this crowding thing will work itself out or they can yank out my teeth, but considering all my teeth are adult ones now I am a bit worried I'm stuck with these crowded teeth unless the orthodontist can still do soemthing for me, but I really don't want braces.)

Anyway, because my Barmitzvah's coming up, I've begun brushing after every meal, so atleast 3-4 times a day or more. I've bought a cheapo ORAl-B electric toothbrush (rechargerable) and some colgate platinum whitening tooth paste. I also bought some whitening gum last night and have already chewed 7 pieces. My teeth are certainly getting a bit whiter, but that could be becasue before I wasn't treating them this well and sometimes brushing 1 time a day or not at all if I was feeling lazy (I've smartened up now.)

I am going to see the dentist Tuesday for a cleaning and to discuss whitening techniques. I am thinking I'll be recommended the crest whitestrips or whatever, which I hope do the trick. When my mom was on the phone booking the appointment she also mentioned an Oral B electric toothbrush. I am guessing she is talking about the more expensive ones like the Triumph (which I think I will buy if she says it's an good idea.) Does anybody have experience with the whitening strips, are they a PITA to use, and are they bad for your teeth? Is it possible within 2 weeks to whiten your teeth decently by treating them well and brushing a lot, using the strips, chewing the gum, and going for a dental cleaning (maybe I'll get my teeth whitened at the Dentist if it's possible Tuesday, no idea.)

Anyway, that's my little dilemma. So what's yours? Have teeth problems? Share them! Did you recently have your teeth professionally whitened? Tell us about your experience. Did you recently have major surgery done? Share your story with us. Are your teeth white as can be, with perfect placement (perfect smile) and no teeth problems? Tell us, so we can envy you.

Uhhh yeah, usually when you don't brush everyday your teeth turn yellow. Solution, crack out a toothbrush, not brushing everyday is just nasty.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Uhhh yeah, usually when you don't brush everyday your teeth turn yellow. Solution, crack out a toothbrush, not brushing everyday is just nasty.

I don't know what the significance of your comment is (I obviously realies that not brushing every day makes your teeth acquire lots of plaque and turn yellow / is bad for the hygeine / teeth in your mouth), and I've smartened up and began brushing much more as of recently, and I plan to continue doing this.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 78
Your teeth really shouldn't be yellow at your age. Despite all the whitening ads you see on TV, this is not normal for a 13 year old who doesn't smoke and doesn't drink a very large amount of coffee or tea. Be sure to ask your dentist to try to identify what the underlying problem is, not just offer some kind of topical whitening as a solution (a very profitable procedure for dentists, btw). I won't admonish you for not brushing regularly, but do strive to brush at least twice a day and floss in the future. Technological solutions like fancy electronic toothbrushes do not replace (and despite the advertising, have been proven no better than) the discipline of just regular brushing. Make it a habit. You don't want to be the kind of guy who sports a Rolex or Omega and has yellow teeth.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 78
I actually work at a Dental office, I would be carefull with any whitening methods because majority of them contain some chemicals that may cause sensitivity. Unless you never ever gone to the dentist and let plaque sit there for a good ammount of time such as years you might develop intrinsic stains wich is that the tooth absorbs the color and over time starts turning yellow for good. Usually the crest strips do a pretty good job, the ones they sell at the dentist office usually have double the potency of the ones over counter. Anyways good luck and don't forget flossing can sometimes be more important than brushing.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Your teeth really shouldn't be yellow at your age. Despite all the whitening ads you see on TV, this is not normal for a 13 year old who doesn't smoke and doesn't drink a very large amount of coffee or tea. Be sure to ask your dentist to try to identify what the underlying problem is, not just offer some kind of topical whitening as a solution (a very profitable procedure for dentists, btw). I won't admonish you for not brushing regularly, but do strive to brush at least twice a day and floss in the future. Technological solutions like fancy electronic toothbrushes do not replace (and despite the advertising, have been proven no better than) the discipline of just regular brushing. Make it a habit. You don't want to be the kind of guy who sports a Rolex or Omega and has yellow teeth.

They certainly aren't yellow yellow, like a smokers, they just are a bit tinted. As a matter of fact, when I look around, I don't seem to be the only kid with it, although some kids are tinted a bit more. What I mean is that they aren't really perfectly white and clean. Don't worry though, I'm now brushing regularly. Unforteuntly floss is a PITA for me, maybe it's the crowding of my teeth (I do go to the dentist rather regularly btw), but if some leftovers from steak get in there deep it can be a bit of a PITA to get them out, but if I eat pasta or something I'm usually fine. I am actually curious from an educated point of view, what happens if you leave a piece of steak in your teeth overnight, or any food for that matter, or leave it in there for a long time? Should you be flawsing a lot even if you aren't eating food that gets stuck, but instead more soft stuff?

Ellover, I'll be sure to ask about the strips. What was the thing with those things you can brush with that come out of the pack so you don't need a tooth brush (they gave them on airplanes a while back and had a bunch of annoying commercials.) Are those decent to carry around if your eating out or something?

BTW, I think I'll take a photo of my teeth and upload it so you guys can judge what the rating of them are.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Didn't see one before.

Hey Jagwire, I actually work in a dental office as well. The best thing you can do is to have your teeth ZOOMed. It works much better than whitening strips, and the results last for years. You have to go in and get evaluated to see if you are a candidate for ZOOM though, people who have sensitive teeth to hot and cold probably shouldn't undergo ZOOMing. The process basically consists of isolating your gums with a gel, and then applying a solution to your teeth which is activated by a curing light. You only have to undergo ZOOM once, and then you are provided with a touch up kit, as opposed to using those strips for god knows how long. The results attained through the newest ZOOM lights (I think it's ZOOM 3, our office just got in two lights) is pretty uncanny.

Catch you later,
Id

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

They certainly aren't yellow yellow, like a smokers, they just are a bit tinted. As a matter of fact, when I look around, I don't seem to be the only kid with it, although some kids are tinted a bit more. What I mean is that they aren't really perfectly white and clean. Don't worry though, I'm now brushing regularly. Unforteuntly floss is a PITA for me, maybe it's the crowding of my teeth (I do go to the dentist rather regularly btw), but if some leftovers from steak get in there deep it can be a bit of a PITA to get them out, but if I eat pasta or something I'm usually fine. I am actually curious from an educated point of view, what happens if you leave a piece of steak in your teeth overnight, or any food for that matter, or leave it in there for a long time? Should you be flawsing a lot even if you aren't eating food that gets stuck, but instead more soft stuff?

Ellover, I'll be sure to ask about the strips. What was the thing with those things you can brush with that come out of the pack so you don't need a tooth brush (they gave them on airplanes a while back and had a bunch of annoying commercials.) Are those decent to carry around if your eating out or something?

BTW, I think I'll take a photo of my teeth and upload it so you guys can judge what the rating of them are.

I think brushing and flossing twice a day is the recommended average. After every meal or around three times a day is best. I usually brush twice and floss twice more if anything gets stuck in my teeth. My dentist said that over 3 times a day could possibly damage your gums but 3 a day should be plenty.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

I don't know what the significance of your comment is (I obviously realies that not brushing every day makes your teeth acquire lots of plaque and turn yellow / is bad for the hygeine / teeth in your mouth), and I've smartened up and began brushing much more as of recently, and I plan to continue doing this.

What you also don't also realize is that brushing (and flossing) helps eliminate some of the bacteria that is in your mouth and on your tongue (yes, brush your tongue). If you don't brush everyday, you are consuming food with the bacteria still in your mouth, which can then follow your food down into your stomach and possibly mess up your digestion (or other things).

Watch that whitening stuff, especially the strips, cause it's bad for your gums. As ellover009 said, it can cause sensitivity issues. I'd cut the brushing down to like 3 times a day and relax on the gum, because if you maintain a regular habit of brushing, it should turn out fine.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24
Hey Jagwire, I actually work in a dental office as well. The best thing you can do is to have your teeth ZOOMed. It works much better than whitening strips, and the results last for years. You have to go in and get evaluated to see if you are a candidate for ZOOM though, people who have sensitive teeth to hot and cold probably shouldn't undergo ZOOMing. The process basically consists of isolating your gums with a gel, and then applying a solution to your teeth which is activated by a curing light. You only have to undergo ZOOM once, and then you are provided with a touch up kit, as opposed to using those strips for god knows how long. The results attained through the newest ZOOM lights (I think it's ZOOM 3, our office just got in two lights) is pretty uncanny.

Catch you later,
Id

I have sensitive teeth to hot and cold things unforteuntly, so that idea may not be the best. I am about to go evaluate the heidous photos I took. What can I say, it's not easy photographing your teeth! You can't use a mirror because the camera is in the way more or less and you get a full face shot, so instead you need to look through the lcd through the mirror, which of course means that the crappy LCD on this camera glares, and you can't get a good photo.

BTW, how much water should be used to rinse your mouth after brushing?

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 78
Aug 21, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 78
Heh, it wouldn't pay for me to whiten my teeth. My front tooth would no longer match colors. The dentist I had did a really good job on matching the bonding, nobody can tell I only have 3/4 of a tooth. Still, brushing twice a day keeps my teeth looking pretty good. I think you're going to have to start with a professional cleaning. Regular brushing and flossing only seems to keep things in check. The whitening toothpaste is pretty weak, only keeps mild surface stains in check. I developed a tea stain one summer. The stain was finally removed when I went in for my usual cleaning at the dentist.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 78
i'm tired of this crap....i say at the national meet let's have a cage match to the death between skyline and jagwire and put an end to all the sniping comments in every thread. winner gets to continue to post here and gets the loser's rig and the loser goes home in a pine box.

ps jag, were you just kissing someone's a**, had a glass of chocolate milk or are you needing a shave?

pps so as not to be a hypocrite about polluting threads the next cage match will be between myself and jahn. prepare to lose the tower of power!

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 78
Turn the knob on your camera to macro, it should give you better shots. Your teeth don't look that bad but they a little yellow, brushing everyday should get rid of it eventually, no need to have them professionally whitened.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Heh, it wouldn't pay for me to whiten my teeth. My front tooth would no longer match colors. The dentist I had did a really good job on matching the bonding, nobody can tell I only have 3/4 of a tooth. Still, brushing twice a day keeps my teeth looking pretty good. I think you're going to have to start with a professional cleaning. Regular brushing and flossing only seems to keep things in check. The whitening toothpaste is pretty weak, only keeps mild surface stains in check. I developed a tea stain one summer. The stain was finally removed when I went in for my usual cleaning at the dentist.

I see. On the toothpaste it does recommend using it after a professional cleaning (which will happen Tuesday.) To be honest with you, I am just realising the whole dental thing, I guess when your young the Dentist doesn't want to lecture you and scare you about your teeth, but I am realising quickly that I am just beginning now to do what I should have been doing for years. I must be stupid or something, but hey, better at 13 then never.

BTW, I drink a lot of Iced Tea (well, I just began drinking a lot of frutopdia.) Could this develop any stains or anything? I do not drink any coke, pepsi, or any carbonated drink more or less except for Bawls.

Skyline, I have an Fuzion actually, and I do shave, although I am leaving it because I don't know whether or not I want a mustache in the photos. That will be decided a night or two before. I'll try the macro thing now, but if somebody took a photo for me it'de really help. heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back