May 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the one thing about cd's is that the very first one i bought sounds like
i just bought it today after many years and plays can not say that for
any other format i have qwned.

What?

May 20, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #48 of 80
I cant believe there are people here seriously trying to argue that LPs are more durable and last longer than CDs.

If you play a CD and it comes out scratched, then you have a crappy and/or cheap CD player. You wouldn't play your LPs on a cheap and/or crappy turntable, now would you? For obvious reasons.

Not only that, but minor and even some major scratches usually don't have any affect on a CD. And even if they do, you can buy kits to repair the CDs. Filler kits and buffing kits made for CDs can restore a badly scratched CD to new without any loss in quality. As I explained, as long as the shiny layer is not broken, which is generally impossible unless done on purpose, the CD can be fixed 100%.

There is so much more I need to say but I'm busy now and in a hurry. I might be back later if there is any more question.

May 20, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 80
i think this thread has gone a bit mad, the original theme of this tread was basicly if digital distribution can displace physical distribution of music,

and its become a flamewar between CD and Vinyl junkies,
im just waiting for someone to bring the vacum tubes out,

May 20, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #50 of 80
^^^ LOL

Well, then to get back on topic:

I STRONGLY prefer a physical product. Only if they can offer the digital music at 1/3 the normal price will I buy digital downloads, and then only if they are in the full wav format.

May 20, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #51 of 80
I'm not supporting CDs or LPs (I love both), I am just stating that CDs are in fact a lot more durable than LPs. Just holding an LP from it's edge long enough could cause it to warp. Will they last a long time if properly taken care of? Yeah. But so will CDs. And even if not properly taken care of, CDs will last a REALLY long time. Try treating LPs the way CDs are treated and handled.

Not so durable anymore, huh?

As for physical vs digital. If I could buy lossless album downloads, I would. It would be a lot easier. I could then burn as many copies as I needed.

May 20, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #52 of 80
its all about DRM, today 80-90% of download services give you mid to low quality music, which is protected by draconian methods which limit your ability to burn to CD or distribute the music on your different players and storage units,

the main hurdle today isnt format or quality, its DRM, its the differance between owning a copy and just having a piece of paper that says "you can listen to this song on this device"

May 20, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #53 of 80
Really!? They do that!?

I've never bought any digital downloads, but that sounds crazy!
How can they expect people to pay $10 for an album they don't have complete control over?

It amazes me people are actually doing it.

May 20, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #54 of 80
itunes, the song can only be on 3 devices at the same time,
and you can only have it on 3 computers,

heres the funny part, if your hard drive goes bye bye, even if you bought the song, theres a limit on the times you can redownload it from itunes, after that, you have to pay again,

but the best part is,
digital downloads are limited to supported devices,
so, if you buy music off zune marketplace, all your music depends on you having a zune,
if you buy music off itunes, all your music depends on you having a ipod,

change player, all your music goes down the drain....

May 21, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #55 of 80
omg....

then I'm definitely never buying digital downloads. I'll stick to physical CD's.

May 21, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #56 of 80
i see you have a Sony NW-HD1, means that the only music store you can get downloaded tracks from is Sony Connect, and them come in lovely metallic sounding acra.. atrac,

May 21, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see you have a Sony NW-HD1, means that the only music store you can get downloaded tracks from is Sony Connect, and them come in lovely metallic sounding acra.. atrac,

heh, well I've never actually bought anything from the connect music store.

But I don't really have a problem with atrac3 (I'm guessing the "3" was just to make it sound like "mp3"
tongue.gif
)... I don't have a dedicated headphone amp, and my portable headphones are just the cheap 15 dollar ones - so it'll always sound like crap.

But using it through my home amp with the decent headphones, it actually sounds very nice. Not perfect, but nice enough to enjoy without banging my head against the wall with rage
tongue.gif

EDIT: also, I just got a D-EJ2000 PCDP off ebay for like $22 shipped! Comes with the remote/battery/charger/and everything! I thought that was a pretty sweet deal
wink.gif

May 21, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #59 of 80
Full digital media is the future. No doubt, but I'll always buy CD's and LP's as long as I am able to.

That said, don't let anyone scare you into thinking that downloading will lock you into one unit. There are plenty of means of securing your download and transcoding it into a format that will be useable for quite some time. Think dbpoweramp for starters.

May 21, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #60 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
itunes, the song can only be on 3 devices at the same time,
and you can only have it on 3 computers,

heres the funny part, if your hard drive goes bye bye, even if you bought the song, theres a limit on the times you can redownload it from itunes, after that, you have to pay again

wrong (you can put the song on AS MANY ipods as you want)

wrong (you can authorize a song to play on 5 computers at one time - you can deauthorize a computer if you want to put it on another to play - you can have the data on as many computers as you want)

heres the funny part, if you break your cd, even if you bought it, you cannot ever get another copy from the store. you have to pay again.

you also mentioned burning to a cd above. you know you can burn itunes store tracks to a cd as many times as you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back