the demise of the CD
May 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why have they never designed a decent CD box over the years?

why they hang onto them jewel cases is beyond me. I hate them! and DVD cases even more so. but I have seen some very creative CD cases out there for certain releases. cooler than LP's in my opinion. even seen some Japanese reissues that are very much made to resemble LP covers.

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/Bowi...ues9907CD.html
David Bowie Japanese Reissues
With artists as successful as David Bowie, whose own long recording history has moved the performer through a multitude of musical styles, it’s only natural that immense bodies of work would be revisited, time and time again, to provide every nuance of packaging and enhancements to the truly dedicated fan. Despite some shouts of “double-dipping” and “opportunism,” labels continue to re-supply the market with new ways of presenting the music of high-profile artists. I, myself, have never had a problem with multiple reissues of the same title. If I’m a fan, and I want the new reissue, I’ll buy them. If I don’t find a use for the reissue, I ignore it. It’s a simple perspective and should always guide fans in their purchasing decisions.

The recent US importing reissue of the popular Japanese form of reissue (LP-styled replication that has always interested import devotees) capitalizes on that growing interest. Japanese reissues of titles have carried a sense of respect for decades; ask any collector of imported music. Many bands have had their music remastered and re-released in packaging that is faithful in many ways to the title’s original LP release. Designed mini-cardboard sleeves with the CD sheathed in disc-protecting plastic will be familiar to anyone who has purchased a vinyl LP. It is completed by foldout inserts that contain lyrics (in Japanese and English), and credits. The entire CD package is, itself, protected by a resealing plastic cover with an inserted paper spine to provide a measure of retention as well as identification (if you can read Japanese).

CDs have outgrown the industry standard of bulky, boring, and useless jewel casings. Over the decades, the packaging of CDs have started to lean toward the more artistic digipaks and other methods of packaging, thus returning (or evolving) to a new era of artistic creativity in presenting music. I applaud this because I hate jewel-casing. With Japanese mini-LP formats, storage becomes a dream. For addicted collectors, a “shoebox” like storage system allows the entire CD package to fit nicely into an easily retrievable format without compromise of any assembled pieces, i.e. booklet, lyric sheet, CD.

EMI (US) has provided easy access to David Bowie’s large Japanese mini-LP reissues/remasters (1999) catalogue beginning with Bowie’s first album on through his first with Tin Machine, releasing them in three waves rather than dropping them all at once on a buyer. These sets of releases are a desirable approach for fans, providing easy – but limited – domestic access to otherwise expensive Japanese reissues. While these import introductions into the US domestic market will only attract solid fans and collectors, it would still be nice to see this type of domestic access revisited more often with a wider variety of bands.

May 20, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MD could have been the best format, as said. No scratches, large capacity etc. Sony screwed up on that one.

I haven't bought a CD for 5 years, I buy about 5 - 10 full albums every week, cheaply, legally, downloaded in flac or 320. I pay for flac if I think it will be a well recorded album or something I know I will want to pay attention to the most details on, or 320 kbps for stuff I know is badly recorded anyway, or that I will never really focus on anyway.

Not sure if we are aloud to discuss which site here though?

If I can get 99% of albums I want in lossless, the rest in 320kbps, all cheap and from my desk, why buy a cd? If I want art I'll buy a painting. Lyrics are on the web. I pay for music only.

I download the album, burn it to a cd if I want, back it up on my internal and external HD (which I unplug once backed up) and also back up to my portable HD which I take every time I leave the house in case it burns down (also has precious photos etc).

I think once I am able to afford to start back buying music again and can afford a higher speed connection again I am gonna start buying music online. I'd say a third of me music is already on CD-R that friends have burned for me and that I have acquired though various sources. just having a copy of the music itself means the most to me, though I will still buy CD's at the store.

May 20, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if we are aloud to discuss which site here though?

You mean the site that has become impossible to use since Visa/Mastercard blacklisted them?

Have you found a replacement (with FLAC)?

May 20, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...don't tell me you are trying to suggest that CDs are more susceptible to scratches and damage than LPs..?

I wouldn't find it that hard to believe. Especially when you consider that a CD will outright not play if it's damaged, whereas there is still hope for the rest of the LP that isn't damaged. I've also witnessed myself plenty of examples of CD decay, and trays in CDPs that just completely rape the disc while it's spinning.

Many have told me that vinyl will almost always outlive the owner, but the same hasn't been true for many with CDs.

May 20, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not at all but they are just as susceptible to being scratched and such. rented and borrowed DVD's about drive me crazy that have been scratched and freeze up on me computer not allowing me to play them. the protective case that MD's come in was a blessing in my opinion.

Hmm... if rented CDs are that bad, imagine a rented LP. I would imagine it having nasty scratches, dirt, warping, etc... And with a CD, as long as the scratches are not so deep that they penetrate the shiny layer (almost impossible unless you take a knife to it on purpose), they can be repaired.

With an LP, once it's scratched, it's scratched. And they are a lot easier to scratch to boot. Once it's warped, it's warped. Once dirt gets in the grooves and it is played over and over, the dirt will be there to stay.

And what is wrong with CD jewel cases? They protect the CD a lot better than a plastic sleeve would.

Now I am not badmouthing vinyl; I like it a lot. I am just stating the obvious.

May 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 80
But jewel cases can be easily replaced, and cheaply at that. I have plenty of 70's vinyl with worn covers that I can't replace.

May 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the site that has become impossible to use since Visa/Mastercard blacklisted them?

Have you found a replacement (with FLAC)?

Yeah I use that one, there are ways around it. Email me for info!

May 20, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... if rented CDs are that bad, imagine a rented LP. I would imagine it having nasty scratches, dirt, warping, etc... And with a CD, as long as the scratches are not so deep that they penetrate the shiny layer (almost impossible unless you take a knife to it on purpose), they can be repaired.

With an LP, once it's scratched, it's scratched. And they are a lot easier to scratch to boot. Once it's warped, it's warped. Once dirt gets in the grooves and it is played over and over, the dirt will be there to stay.

And what is wrong with CD jewel cases? They protect the CD a lot better than a plastic sleeve would.

Now I am not badmouthing vinyl; I like it a lot. I am just stating the obvious.

rented DVD's not CD's. DVD's are much worse than CD's when it comes to scratches, boogers and such.

believe me I am right there with ya on Vinyl. I much prefer CD's over Vinyl. I have had me days with Vinyl and glad it's out of me life as medium. enjoyed it while I had it, never thought I'd feel this way cause it took me forever to start collecting CD's after they came out.

but then again the industry has put us right there once again with mediums that are still susceptible to easily being damaged.

I'm not comparing Jewel Cases to LP's. I just do not like Jewel Cases period! there are better alternatives that hold the art as well. I have taken all my CD's and placed them in the Univenture CD Sleeves. I can store around 35 to 40 CD's in the space of 10 Jewel Cases.
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/de...uct_id=su10196
bagsunlimited is a great place for storing your CD's, LP's, etc..

http://www.univenture.com/

May 20, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't find it that hard to believe. Especially when you consider that a CD will outright not play if it's damaged, whereas there is still hope for the rest of the LP that isn't damaged. I've also witnessed myself plenty of examples of CD decay, and trays in CDPs that just completely rape the disc while it's spinning.

Many have told me that vinyl will almost always outlive the owner, but the same hasn't been true for many with CDs.

LP's have the ability to out live any other medium with limited play and propering storing but if your playing them over and over again your only taking life away from them at being their best SQ.

May 20, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #42 of 80
Sorry I haven't read the replies, but here is my useless input.

CD will be around for awhile, even after it's not popularly produces it will still be cherished. Once digital has become as daily that all people uses computer and their cars has mp3 player instead of cd players, then it will mass transition to digital format only. If physical medium for music extinct completely today, than video wouldn't have follow? It will be sometimes from now.

As for the big internet sales now, I heard there will be more lossless being provides. IMO, it will only be worth it to charge the same as a CD if high res artwork are included. I wouldn't pay $10 for 10 flac songs anda crappy 300x300 pixels front cover, if I can buy a CD with more artworks. Mostly it's the DRM that turns me off. At the sametime piracy is very easy without. Its hard to compromise between the two, there has to be a very universal system for this to work, or the music industry can just screw us over and force us on it like its doing now.

Less relating to this topic, I am pro about digital format too, such that musicians can voice themselves easier.
All in all I think I am happy about with it being half and half, I like CD and I like mp3, one allow quality and one allow versability.
---------------------------------------

I have a better sense of ownership with the physical medium. One harddrive or a stack of few hundred CDs.

I can sell a rare cd or lp for a lot of money on ebay. I can't individually resell a digital format.

I am not paying $300 for a digitally generated painting even at 20,000x15,000pixels. I might pay a good amount for an actual Ivan Aivazovsky painting.

May 20, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #44 of 80
I expect the Red Book CD to stick around for many years to come.
It has become the medium for audio during the last 27 years, and wont be fully replaced in a long time.

Sure there will be major CD sales hits when (note that I am not saying "if") lossless audio becomes the standard on online music stores (iTunes Store, etc.). But there will always be those who prefer a physical product.

May 20, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #45 of 80
the one thing about cd's is that the very first one i bought sounds like
i just bought it today after many years and plays can not say that for
any other format i have qwned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back