The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #2,101 of 2,112
The HD800’s are great with the Taboo Mk III. The amp was voiced with the Audeze LCD-2’s.

May 4, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,103 of 2,112
Is there a decware taboo mk iv thread? trying to see if anyone pairs the lcd-x with it

Hello friend....I don't believe so. Unfortunately, the decware thread is not super active. I keep an eye on this thread, as I've been considering one myself.

If not mistaken, the LCD-X is not particularly hard to drive.

Hopefully one of our fellow head-fiers can provide you some more specific info. :sunglasses:

Dp2Xp48W4AA_SWa.jpg-large.jpeg

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #2,104 of 2,112
Hello, new to this thread. I just ordered a Taboo so my actual participation is likely ~14 months from now. That said, can anyone comment on compatibility of 6SN7/6N8S input tube via pin adapter? I have some old Foton and MELZ tubes I’ve been holding onto and would like to try out in future. Thank you.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,106 of 2,112
Quick tube compatibility question in Taboo Mk IV. Will 6n14p-k work in lieu of EL84? Thank you.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #2,107 of 2,112
Quick tube compatibility question in Taboo Mk IV. Will 6n14p-k work in lieu of EL84? Thank you.
I think those are EL83 equivalents not EL84. If you are looking for alternatives from the set Steve ships with the Taboo there are a handful of great options. I'm rather partial to the 6P15P-EV from the REFLECTOR factory.

May 9, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #2,108 of 2,112
Anyone ever compare a taboo mk iv and a linear tube audio MZ3? I bought a pair of focal utopia 2022 and am considering these as options for an amp but haven't seen any direct comparisons.

Both are on my short list because they could serve as a headphone amp but could also drive my speakers (old but still excellent sounding Bastanis Prometheus). Unfortunately, I'm not really gonna have an option to demo before placing an order so any input would be really appreciated.

May 9, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #2,109 of 2,112
Anyone ever compare a taboo mk iv and a linear tube audio MZ3? I bought a pair of focal utopia 2022 and am considering these as options for an amp but haven't seen any direct comparisons.

Both are on my short list because they could serve as a headphone amp but could also drive my speakers (old but still excellent sounding Bastanis Prometheus). Unfortunately, I'm not really gonna have an option to demo before placing an order so any input would be really appreciated.
Yes, I waited for and wanted the Taboo Mk4 and it took me almost 2 full years to get my hands on it. I have owned an LTA MZ3 for over 2 years and had both amps in my house at the same time. I don’t have a Utopia but I do have the OG clear.
Go with the MZ3 if you want a cleaner more detail oriented sound. Decware Taboo MK IV for a much more pronounced mid-focused SQ.
The Taboo has an old school tube sound quality to it. I enjoyed it but it was more for my Autuer and a bunch of Audeze Pre-razors I have sitting around. It also played pretty well with my Klipsch Heresy’s and OG, Omega Alnico speakers.
I am currently running the MZ3 on a pair of 12 ohm Spatial Audio M4 triode masters and as long as you set your expectations realistically on the single watt of output the SQ is extremely satisfying.
Two extremely different amplifiers with sound characteristics that have nothing to do with each other. It’s an Apple to Steak comparison, just two completely different pieces of equipment.

I don’t know if this helps you at all, just understand you are looking at 2 completely different options.

May 9, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #2,110 of 2,112
Yes, I waited for and wanted the Taboo Mk4 and it took me almost 2 full years to get my hands on it. I have owned an LTA MZ3 for over 2 years and had both amps in my house at the same time. I don’t have a Utopia but I do have the OG clear.
Go with the MZ3 if you want a cleaner more detail oriented sound. Decware Taboo MK IV for a much more pronounced mid-focused SQ.
The Taboo has an old school tube sound quality to it. I enjoyed it but it was more for my Autuer and a bunch of Audeze Pre-razors I have sitting around. It also played pretty well with my Klipsch Heresy’s and OG, Omega Alnico speakers.
I am currently running the MZ3 on a pair of 12 ohm Spatial Audio M4 triode masters and as long as you set your expectations realistically on the single watt of output the SQ is extremely satisfying.
Two extremely different amplifiers with sound characteristics that have nothing to do with each other. It’s an Apple to Steak comparison, just two completely different pieces of equipment.

I don’t know if this helps you at all, just understand you are looking at 2 completely different options.
Thanks... that's super helpful. I think you boiled down the essence of what the choice is extremely well. I'm probably leaning towards the MZ3, probably would provide better dynamics plus it's only a 4 week wait.

I'm also considering Spatial speakers (maybe next year though as my budget is tapped). It's good to hear the amp can drive them even in a limited manner because maybe I can stagger the upgrades and get an amp later.

May 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,111 of 2,112

I've had a Taboo MK III for a few years now, a MZ2 for awhile, and currently have a Z10e. I've spent time with OG and 22 Utopias and listened to them on plenty of systems. I agree with @NickMimi's comments overall. I personally prefer the Utopia on lusher tube amps but I'm particularly bothered by too much energy in the upper mids. The Taboo is very flexible and the presentation can be shaped considerably with tube rolling. The waiting list for Decware stuff is pretty cray at this point so the decision may be out of your control. My all time favorite pairing for the Utopia is the DNA Stratus, but those are spendy and also have a long lead time. A Eddie Current 2a3 amp should also be on your list.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #2,112 of 2,112
Edited: The MK III has a special something that I find addictive. I agree with those in the Decware forum who recommend the Mullard CV593 (not shown in photo). Also, Telefunken EL84 are spectacular with this amp.

Thank you for your tube recommendations. If you can manage to get one, the WE422A is even better than the Mullard CV593. For the input stage of the MK III, the Amperex 7308 tube is my current favorite.

Also, I recently found a way to enjoy the beautiful sound of my Taboo MKIII with my low sensitivity HiFiMan HE6seV2 headphones by adding a Topping PRE90 between the xlr outputs of my dac and the rca inputs of the MKIII. The Topping pre seems quite deserving of the high praise and Class A rating it received from stereophile. It does not appear to change the sound at all when inserted into the signal chain using the terrific Mogami interconnects built by Jerry Seigel at 10 Audio. It just gives you the ability to listen louder without added noise or distortion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back