The decline of the New York accent
Nov 18, 2015 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember about a year ago or so listening to a radio discussion about how the New York accent is declining. I think there is truth to that. Cities can change and evolve. Sometimes it's sad when a famous restaurant or store finally closes after many years of business. Cities like New York have had a history of neighborhoods changing. For example some neighborhoods were at one time German, then transitioned to another ethnic group.

Many cities throughout the world do go through changes. It can sometimes be hard to accept but sometimes, it can be a good thing too. Accents can decline especially in an era where mass numbers of people become transient and eventually settle into a city they choose.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure that it's necessarily declining. Rather that the gentrification of neighborhoods in Manhattan (and to a lesser extent Brooklyn) brings in people who didn't grow up here and therefore don't have the accent. I find that people who grow up here definitely have that accent, and people will even develop it as they are immersed into the city over the years (unless they only travel in "elite" circles).

I've lived in one of the northern suburbs for 20 years now and my accent isn't so apparent anymore, but my wife is always astounded when it returns with a vengeance when I'm around my family for any length of time.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Good point. My post was based on the radio discussion I heard. I'm not fully sure if it's actually declining too but if it is, it wouldn't surprise me since times do change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back