The decline of the hankerchief
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days, on a hot day, a gentleman would wipe the sweat on his forehead with his hankerchief that he would carry. Maybe you've seen this in old movies.

These days, men rarely carry a hankerchief unless it's part of a decoration at a wedding.

But handkerchiefs do make sense. If you're out and you get some food grease on your hands on the bus or train, a hankerchief will come in handy to wipe your hands.

You could argue that carrying napkins will do the same thing but if you carry napkins in your pockets, eventually they all balled up and worn out. Tissues are worse.

A hankerchief is like a mini towel and more reliable in your pocket if you need it.

A proper gentleman should carry a hankerchief.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 6
I try my best to carry a hanky in each pocket; it's awfully embarrassing to hand a lady your sweaty, greased up cotton sheet.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Part of my EDC ever since visiting Japan and being told that the bathrooms have no means of drying your hands. My Dad always had one in his pocket, though he never visited the far east. Both influenced me to make it part of my pocket luggage.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 6
A proper gentleman should carry a hankerchief.

I can never tell if you're serious or taking the pisces...

Personally, I never leave the house without a handkerchief in the breast pocket of my tweed suit. It comes in handy for wiping away seepage from the Bakelite thermos in my picnic hamper, which I keep in the back of my 327 Cabriolet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back