The decline of stuffed cabbage rolls
Mar 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 20
Wow, I just saw this thread and remembered that the place near me that has beef stroganoff also has stuffed cabbage! Hmmm...one for $10? Is it worth it?

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 20
It is totally worth it...

You bet it is! I finally remembered at a Lebanese restaurant to order the stuffed cabbage rolls. I tried it by itself and it was rather sour from the lemon, but I tucked it into some pita bread and it tasted well together. I had some baklava before it and the sweet-and-sour combination was great. I also had a lemon-mint-mix shisha in our hookah and it all worked so wonderfully well together that I ordered this Blue-Moon-like draft to finish everything off. The tab was a little pricey...but well worth it. Thanks for bringing this stuff up, guys. :)

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 20
It's not stuffed cabbage rolls, but we do "quick pickle" cabbage. It's super easy. Just shred green cabbage and let it soak in white vinegar for about five minutes. Goes great on rice & beans, or anything rich or spicy. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Good point. Maybe in parts of old eastern Europe, it's still popular and not declined.  I hope to visit eastern Europe someday, particularly the Ukraine even though I have no idea about the country. 

That's partially because in the US what is gaining popularity is dimsum (apart from Italian meatballs) which has a lot of variety of meats and even the actual form (ie not all are essentially meatballs wrapped and steamed), especially Xiao Long Bao. That also includes Lion's Head Meatballs, which is basically Chinese meatballs (lion head) with the cabbage or other greens around it (mane)...

...and then you've got Korean BBQ, which is basically strips of (instead of ground) meat eaten wrapped in greens, plus the US-Chinese version with ground meat (we usually make chicken) cooked in sesame oil that you wrap as you eat.

AFAIK stuffed cabbage is still popular in Chicago, but that's primarily because of the Polish population still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back