The decline of pickles
Apr 13, 2015 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was at a barbecue restaurant and the waitress says that the BBQ sandwhiches and plates come with a small amount (2 little slices) of pickles, I've noticed that many customers asked for no pickles.

It seems like these days, pickles are so unpopular unless if you have a garden and you have no choice but to pickle your vegetables by default to prevent waste.

Nobody gets excited about pickles. I like them actually but most people don't or they have no opinion on it. My theory is that most people have no opinion of pickles because it never comes up in conversation.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 14
I think people like *good* pickles, but the problem is that good pickles are horribly difficult to find. You certainly aren't going to find them pre-cut and stuffed into a gallon jar. Those are limp and horrible.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 14
I've noticed that most of my friends expunge pickles from their burgers, which is a strange thing to do when you think about it. A good pickle is hard to beat; the nucleus of the burger and the backbone of its family.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 14
i used to hate pickles growing up.  but when i became a man, i loved pickles. 

i like that notorious BIG song where he goes "now i play hard, like my girls nipples be. the game sour like pickle be". 

i'm all about bbq.  im doing 2 racks of baby backs and possibly a boston butt this weekend on the smoker. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah that's a good description- "expunge pickles from the burger". It does happen. Or "hold the pickles" as some would say.

Back in the 1920s or so, an immigrant would live in New York and especially in the lower east side, you could go to a neighborhood corner and buy a pickle for a around nickel. And they would be pickled on the premises. You could also pick the pickle by its age too. For example if you wanted an older pickle, you ask for a sour pickle but you could also request a fresh pickle too and eat it as a snack in the afternoon.

Ah yes, those were the good old days of pickles.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Pickles seem to be pretty big in Brooklyn, but the problem is the popular ones aren't any good, and they could be turning people off to pickles for good. I think the Brooklyn pickle craze must be more of a hipster style/social thing than any actual affinity for pickles, because all of the popular local, organic, blah blah blah brands sell vegetables soaked in vinegar and spices. That, my friends, does not a good pickle make. A real lacto-fermented pickle is the only way to go and is one of life's great delights. Vinegar pickles just taste like, well, vinegar. Blech. My local grocery used to stock like 4 different types of great fermented sour pickles. Now? None. Nada. Replaced by freakin unrefrigerated Rick's Picks, and they're flying off the shelves so people can put out trendy local snacks for their friends, regardless of the fact that said snacks suck. Insanity!

On a side note, the other day I asked for extra pickles at a burger place and the server went on for a good while about how I was the first person in days to ask for extra pickles rather than no pickles. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 14
Bread and butter pickles for sandwiches. Regular dill pickles on burgers. So good!

Like someone else said, growing up I did not like them. Though the older I get, the more I absolutely must have them in food! Heck, I'll eat them without anything else as a snack!

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 14
I blame McDonalds for their burgers with pickles for the decline in love for pickles.  People are so picky.

May 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 14
God I hate pickles. Been picking the darn things out of burgers and sandwiches ever since I could remember. They completely overwhelm the taste of everything else in the food.

May 2, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Needs a tastebud infusion..........  
blink.gif

May 3, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 14
I couldn't live without a pickle in my burger. Beetroot is pretty essential. I'm the weird person who doesn't like tomato in his burger. I get funny looks when I say: Can I have some extra pickle? But please take out the tomato
eek.gif

May 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 14
Sounds good to me.... 
wink_face.gif
   except I like tomato that doesn't taste like blotting paper....... 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back