The decline of K Mart
May 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I just read that K Mart will be closing 68 more stores and they were already decreasing in the past decade.

K Mart is a big store that sells everything from clothes to some furniture, garden tools, toys, CDs, stereo equipment, headphones, clocks, home decor and everything!

I used to buy all my clothes and shoes from K Mart. If you needed a pair of pants or a shirt or maybe even some socks, you could always rely on K Mart and they had it. It's a great store but now they are becoming harder to find.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 20
I just read that K Mart will be closing 68 more stores and they were already decreasing in the past decade.

K Mart is a big store that sells everything from clothes to some furniture, garden tools, toys, CDs, stereo equipment, headphones, clocks, home decor and everything!

I used to buy all my clothes and shoes from K Mart. If you needed a pair of pants or a shirt or maybe even some socks, you could always rely on K Mart and they had it. It's a great store but now they are becoming harder to find.

The rise of Walmart was the decline of Kmart....Kmart was still stuck in the 1980's. We had two in our town, and one had been around since the early 70s. Both closed about 5 years ago. They also smelled funny. I don't know what it was but if you blindfolded me I could tell I was in a Kmart.

Sears is another once great retailer that hasn't been relevant for 30 years. I thought theyd be gone too.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 20
Sears owns Kmart and is in trouble too. Sears loss is getting worst every quarter. I believe they just announced last month that they will sell Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard. I've always bought Craftsman tools, their top of the line model with a great warranty. And their DieHard car batteries are really good too.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 20
I went in a K Mart a couple of months ago. Couldn't have been more than 20 customers in the entire store at the time. I thought to myself, how does this place stay in business? All that inventory just sitting there with hardly anyone to buy it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 20
  Sears owns Kmart and is in trouble too. Sears loss is getting worst every quarter. I believe they just announced last month that they will sell Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard. I've always bought Craftsman tools, their top of the line model with a great warranty. And their DieHard car batteries are really good too.

Yeah, I should have been more specific about that link between Kmart and Sears. When Sears bought Kmart I thought, now theres a sinking ship that just bought a million ton anchor.

I have a bunch of Craftsman tools I bought in the mid 80s that are great. Now they make chinese junk like everyone else. Sure, it has a lifetime warranty, but they just replace it with more chinese junk. I also used to buy a lot of Kenmore appliances. My last 2 appliance purchases were from other brands because the Kenmore stuff was needing cost prohibitive repairs within 3-4 years.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 20
Almost all the stores near me are closed now. I used to love the toy section, and occasionally we'd find some good video games, too. We didn't have Walmart or Target here growing up, so Kmart, Caldor, and Bradlees generally thrived - or so I thought, anyway. Caldor and Bradlees were first to go belly up. And now Target and Walmart are everywhere around here. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 20

Sears is transitioning into an online fulfillment center! Many online stores are choosing between Amazon FBA, Fulfilled by Sears, and Shipwire. Pretty clever, when you think about it. They are losing business to Walmart / Amazon, so they take their existing fulfillment centers and fill the shelves by selling the warehouse and fulfillment service B2B. I like it. Hopefully it will work for them. Heck, my house came from a Sears Roebuck catalog in the 1920s. It would be a shame for them to fizzle out.

Just like Radio shack.

I got into ham radio earlier this year and you can't get anything in-store anymore because all the Radio Shacks are gone. They really screwed up. When the Arduino came out and all the hacker/maker stuff started growing they kept focusing on cell phone sales. Adafruit and Sparkfun showed up and stole the show. They could have had a massive comeback and still work in their original market! I bet they are really dumbfounded as to how they missed that...

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 20
It was a great store in the 90s but has simple been outclassed in the last decade by Costco and Wal-Mart/Target in America. Its still a big deal in other countries though, I was surprised to see K-marts at malls in Australia. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Sears is transitioning into an online fulfillment center! Many online stores are choosing between Amazon FBA, Fulfilled by Sears, and Shipwire. Pretty clever, when you think about it. They are losing business to Walmart / Amazon, so they take their existing fulfillment centers and fill the shelves by selling the warehouse and fulfillment service B2B. I like it. Hopefully it will work for them. Heck, my house came from a Sears Roebuck catalog in the 1920s. It would be a shame for them to fizzle out.

I got into ham radio earlier this year and you can't get anything in-store anymore because all the Radio Shacks are gone. They really screwed up. When the Arduino came out and all the hacker/maker stuff started growing they kept focusing on cell phone sales. Adafruit and Sparkfun showed up and stole the show. They could have had a massive comeback and still work in their original market! I bet they are really dumbfounded as to how they missed that...

Ha, ha. Got my Extra class license years ago but have since let it expire. Call sign is/was AB5GS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back