The decline of chop suey
Jan 30, 2016 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days when the concept of eating Chinese food was new in America, the popular dish was chop suey. It was considered exotic, mysterious and an alternative to the standard American food.

These days, nobody eats chop suey. If you went up to some friends and say hey lets go out for chop suey, you would sound like someone from the 1950s and you might as well be wearing a bow tie which has also declined too.

It's an old forgotten dish of the past that may never come back probably because it was never really that good anyway. But compared to the American bland food of the old era, chop suey was a something that pointed to a new direction of future food.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 22
I remember my father ordering this stuff back in the days of my childhood. Can't say I've even ever tried it. I do however enjoy the bastardized "American" version.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 22
  Does anybody watch The Pickers?

I think those vintage signboards will interest the pickers.

American Pickers? Or maybe it's only called that over here... anyway, I've seen it. Like any of these shows (Storage Wars, WWE etc.), I strongly suspect a lot of it is set up. If you put that to the back of your mind though, it's still an enjoyable rummage through random items. I'm always amazed what they say they can get for old signs, yeah.

By the way, does anyone know why they always refer to $150 as a buck 50? I always thought a buck was a dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back