The decline of cheap concert tickets
Aug 27, 2016 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days, it was easier to find cheap concert tickets for rock n roll events. While it's still possible to find cheap concert tickets, it was easier back then.

Here is a concert listing from 1970 in New York where you could see shows for $1 or $2.

The print is small so you might have to expand the image.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Wow...those were the good 'ol days. The artists were more into their music than monetary motivation. These days while I love live music, some of these ticket prices are CRAZY! Not that I'm blaming the artists...they have to eat too. For me though it's cheaper to just buy a high resolution recording for my home setup.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 7
At the recent Bonnaroo music festival (3 day event) ticket prices were so high that they had a monthly payment plan on credit if I read correctly. That's ground breaking.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 7
That's almost half a century ago
basshead.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 7
I've heard that if you wanted to see what shows are playing in New York, you would have to look at the advertisements in a local news paper like the Village Voice. This was during an era before newspapers declined.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 7
Here's an interesting trivia for live music fans:

In 1969, the Woodstock music festival was $8 per day. Each day was an all day and evening event of multiple live bands.

According to the CPI inflation calculator, it's the equivalent to $52.46 per day price (today's amount in 2016).

Some people complained that it was too high. In my opinion it's a fair price. Plus, I would easily pay $50 to see Jimi Hendrix anyway (he was one of the artists there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back