The Decca Sound: The Analogue Years Boxed Set.
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently picked this up as a birthday present to myself.  As we speak I am piping Verdi's Requiem through my stereo.  The sound is fantastic!!!!  It worked out to 2.40 per cd.  I am definitely going to be picking up more of these huge box sets soon.  

This is definitely a worthwhile pick-up.  Any other box set recommendations out there?  They don't have to just be labels either. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 10
I bought the Living Stereo box set a few months ago. Started a thread, which was rather short lived as not much interest, sadly.

This Decca box set is interesting, but frankly, with 60 Living Stereos to get through, I have enough classical music to keep me going for a long time.

One thing to mention though is to keep an eye on the price of these box sets. I paid just £56 on amazon.uk for the Living Stereo box - now it's £63, still great value at around £1 per CD. But the link to amazon.com shows a price of $260 gulp. Definitely pays to shop around, and these days the US is no longer automatically the cheapest place to be building CD collections.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 10
We got us the RCA Living Stereo box and the Philipps Original Jackets box for Christmas.
Both are gorgeous, content wise and sound wise. The RCA box is especially breathtaking, because its recordings are all from the 50s. The sound quality is not only outstanding, it all sounds so natural that I prefer these recordings to many contemporary ones.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 10
I am so tempted by that Decca set. I have several of the recordings already (some on both LP and CD).  However, I've just bought quite a number of boxed sets that I haven't even digested yet, including the big Bernstein Sony box and the Karajan 1970s DG box as well as smaller compilations featuring Stokowski on RCA and Giulini on DG.  I keep telling myself to space out my buys, yet am also keenly aware that prices tend to shoot up on some of these boxes once they run out.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 10
  I am so tempted by that Decca set. I have several of the recordings already (some on both LP and CD).  However, I've just bought quite a number of boxed sets that I haven't even digested yet, including the big Bernstein Sony box and the Karajan 1970s DG box as well as smaller compilations featuring Stokowski on RCA and Giulini on DG.  I keep telling myself to space out my buys, yet am also keenly aware that prices tend to shoot up on some of these boxes once they run out.

Bernstein set is also great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back