The death of headphones, or just a neat gimmick?
Oct 25, 2004 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.swiminfo.com/lane9/news/8316.asp
(updated to a link that has an actual picture)

I've heard lots about bone-conduction audio on a theoretical basis, but this is the first consumer product I remember seeing that actually uses it. So are we all going to be ditching our headphones for bonephones in a few years, or is it just a neat trick for specialized situations (like underwater use)?

And has anyone here actually heard this or something like it?

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Bone conduction headphones have been around for a long time. They seem to have an advantage over normal headphones in noisy environments or with people who have hearing problems. I don't think they have the fidelity of normal headphones

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Special Ops in the military have been using them for quite awhile. I used to have a sample of what it sounded like. As I remember you could hear the voice clearly but that was about it.

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 6
They actually sell bone-conductor earpieces that look like IEMs on line -- you can check it out here
wink.gif

They don't just stop there though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by National Defence Magazine
In ACIN Phase I, engineers demonstrated a wireless “tooth mike” for clear, hands-free communications in high-noise environments. Clipped to the user’s premolar, the intra-oral bone conduction microphone reduced the 110 dB(a) background noise of an M1A1 tank by 30 to 40 dB(a) to transmit clear speech for other soldiers or automatic speech recognition systems.

Really interesting stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back