The Dear Leader's Headphones?
Mar 12, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...subTopicID=182

Why does this list contain North Korea at the end? The only person in North Korea that I can imagine enjoying these headphones is the Dear Leader Kim Jong Il.

Good to know that someone who already enjoys all the finer things in life appreciates the finer headphones as well.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 14
HeadRoom won't ship Grado stuff to North Korea, just like with a lot of other countries (so Grado can get more money by raising prices at authorized dealers within those countries). I don't understand what you are trying to say?
confused.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Being a Korean (and not a Korean American raised in the West) and knowing the situation up there pretty well, I'm just amused by the fact that there is an authorized dealership in North Korea. Nothing more.

Basically, who else in North Korea can afford these kinds of luxury goods? If it is true that there is an authorized dealership in North Korea, it's sad that there's enough demand for Grado headphones for such an audio dealership. Perhaps, given the country's "rogue" status, Grado just isn't allowing any shipments to the country regardless of their dealership status. I am pretty sure U.S. has trade restrictions with the nation, but I do not know the details.

If the average well-to-do North Korean had the economic power to purchase such headphones, I would have no problems whatsoever. But, do a bit of research and you'll see why I am so surprised.

Feel free to shoot me down. I know these kinds of comments will attract flames, but I still think it's very amusing.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted this in the Headphones forum - cound a moderator please move this thread to a more appropriate forum if necessary? Thanks in advance!

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 14
Maybe they won't ship there because of all the ... economic sanctions the US has placed on N.K.?

In other words I don't think you should take their explanation with so much confidence in it being true.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Maybe they won't ship there because of all the ... economic sanctions the US has placed on N.K.?

That would be my first instict but it's funny how the page states:

Grado Labs has asked us to respect their distributor and dealer territories and decline all orders from these countries.

Hmm...
confused.gif

[edit]

Well I hope my previous post is pretty clear on that my surprise/amusement comes under the premise of NK being an official distributor, which I have doubts about.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
That would be my first instict but it's funny how the page states:

Grado Labs has asked us to respect their distributor and dealer territories and decline all orders from these countries.

Hmm...
confused.gif

[edit]

Well I hope my previous post is pretty clear on that my surprise/amusement comes under the premise of NK being an official distributor, which I have doubts about.

I believe what they are tryin to say is that they won't ship to NK, not that NK contains an authorized distributor. That is the NO SELL list.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 14
Hey Doobooloo,

You have to go to Grados site to get the rest of the story. Grado will not sell to or have dealerships in the counrties listed. Nor will they allow their Grado dealerships to ship to those countries. Reasons? US Policy driven, their own political motivations, who knows. Anyway, Headphones.com is, reluctantly, honoring Grados policy. I think Fearless Leader will acquire anything he wants by hook or crook, but it is disheartening that some of the more modestly priced grado offerings will not be available to the general populations of some of these countries. Certainly there are some good people who should have access to them
eggosmile.gif
---- Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...subTopicID=182

Why does this list contain North Korea at the end? The only person in North Korea that I can imagine enjoying these headphones is the Dear Leader Kim Jong Il.

Good to know that someone who already enjoys all the finer things in life appreciates the finer headphones as well.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by digicom_t1
Hey Doobooloo,

You have to go to Grados site to get the rest of the story. Grado will not sell to or have dealerships in the counrties listed. Nor will they allow their Grado dealerships to ship to those countries.

Where do you see this explaination on their site? I was under the impression that Grado simply will not allow one contry's distributors to sell into another country to protect the 2nd contry's distributors.

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMalt
Where do you see this explaination on their site? I was under the impression that Grado simply will not allow one contry's distributors to sell into another country to protect the 2nd contry's distributors.

Exactly.
"Grado Labs has asked us to respect their distributor and dealer territories and decline all orders from these countries."

Mar 16, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Excuse me while I gingerly extract my size 10 foot from my mouth!

It does appear I knew not where of I spoke. Please accept my apologies for that bit of mis-information. I did call and it is as you say. --- Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMalt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back