The DACs in galaxy s6 and the m9.. What do we know?
Mar 7, 2015 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

elmtube

New Head-Fier
So, a big deciding factor on which one to get is the sq. Please post when you find out which one is in them. I'm guessing Samsung is sticking with Wolfson DAC as usual, but which one?

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 17
So, a big deciding factor on which one to get is the sq. Please post when you find out which on is in them. I'm guessing Samsung is sticking with Wolfson DAC as usual, but which one?

Implementation is more important than which specific DAC chip.

The Samsung S6 lost it's MicroSD card slot. That makes it much less attractive for head-fi.

My Nexus 6 doesn't have a micro sd slot either. Guess I'll have to carry my DAP instead of trying to strap a dac/headphone amp to it :wink:

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 17
Me personally, I don't care much about SD card either. I do have lower standards when I'm on the go. I'm fine with extreme mode on Spotify. However, I think I'm opting for the 64 GB if I go with Samsung. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 17
The Samsung S6 lost it's MicroSD card slot. That makes it much less attractive for head-fi.

It does come in a 128Gb variant. I find this acceptable. I personally use a Note III, I'm hoping they don't make the same mistake with the Note 5 in September but I won't be too incensed unless they start charging Apple prices for the storage size.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 17

Lol, here in Norway at least, the S6 edge is about 50-80 euro more expensive than the iPhone 6 Plus (off contract). Pretty steep, but the regular S6 are on the same level as the iPhone 6 Plus. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Me personally, I don't care much about SD card either. I do have lower standards when I'm on the go. I'm fine with extreme mode on Spotify. However, I think I'm opting for the 64 GB if I go with Samsung. 

Because it's not my primary player, I'm happy with putting only 500 to 1000 320K songs on my phone, which is only about 5 to 10 GB. So I ended up with the 32GB Nexus 6. Still have plenty of extra room on the phone for photos, a few videos, plenty of apps, etc.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 17
So, a big deciding factor on which one to get is the sq. Please post when you find out which one is in them. I'm guessing Samsung is sticking with Wolfson DAC as usual, but which one?

99% guaranteed Wolfson for S6 and Qualcomm M9. And with all the work Samsung put towards the S6 lets hop the really put some effort into the audio output. That way it's pretty good out of box. And I wonder what this will do for the 1.5x louder speaker......Speaking of which can anyone help me out with this? If ringing DB is apx 76DB.....What is 76DB x 1.5? Decibel adding/multiplying is not so easy.

Quote:

It does come in a 128Gb variant. I find this acceptable. I personally use a Note III, I'm hoping they don't make the same mistake with the Note 5 in September but I won't be too incensed unless they start charging Apple prices for the storage size.

While we all hope the prices are not too high. Respectfully the iphone charges Galaxy prices lol. The Galaxy has some of the most expensive and advanced parts and software. Much of it being home brewed. Costing way more in RnD and time as well.
iPhone just charges a lot for cheaply bought parts. Which is why iOS has 11% global sales and 80% global profit compared to 80% global sales Android and 11% global profit.....I know...The literal flip flop sounds like a crazy random claim.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 17
Mar 31, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 17
My wife and I are both in the market for a new phone with our Jump program from T-Mobile and the S6 Edge and M9 are the obvious choices.

The thing I'm wondering, does either phone play anything 24/96 or above without down sampling?

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 17
I took delivery of an M9 yesterday - it's still in its sealed packaging, and I'm considering taking it back to swap for an S6 (once they're out).  My phone is my primary DAP, so the apparent quality of the M9 is a valuable plus point, but I also require it to do phone stuff - nothing sounds great with a dead battery, and it's this area that worries me with the M9 if the tests are to be believed.

Also, on the point of the S6 not having expandable memory:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-storage-performance-test/

I'm honestly not sure how much I'd notice this difference in daily use, but the numbers look very impressive...

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Just read it. A sad read indeed, I was really hoping the s6 would come out on top as I like the phone more overall. Now I don't know..

I took delivery of an M9 yesterday - it's still in its sealed packaging, and I'm considering taking it back to swap for an S6 (once they're out).  My phone is my primary DAP, so the apparent quality of the M9 is a valuable plus point, but I also require it to do phone stuff - nothing sounds great with a dead battery, and it's this area that worries me with the M9 if the tests are to be believed.

Also, on the point of the S6 not having expandable memory:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-storage-performance-test/

I'm honestly not sure how much I'd notice this difference in daily use, but the numbers look very impressive...

Exactly. The S6 is just a way better overall all phone. And we were really hoping that with the newer Wolfson and attention to detail it would come out ahead. And at least by number while very improved and not far behind the M9 still edges ahead.
Don't know howneach sounds respectively in variation of ones perfered music in actual practice but m9 does take a small lead.

The plus side? Well if you prefer the M9 there you go. If you like the S6 its not far off. And if you root or do mods we should see noticeable gains soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back