the current emusic.com, worth it?
Dec 26, 2006 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there are users of the current emusic.com. I am interested in their selection in Jazz, Electronica, and Classical. How do you like their selection? You think it's worth it for the fee they charge? How is the quality of their rip?

$10 for 30 non-DRM tracks a month isn't bad if their selection is good. But I can't find a free way to browse the selection on their offering without signing up for a free trial.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 12
I think it's totally worth it. Not only do they not have DRM, they are very high quality VBR files. For example, this month I chose, among others, the Rodrigo y Gabriela eponymous album and it sounds incredible. Averages out at about 220 kbps VBR.

As for selection, it's great for experimenting with new genres and artists. I also got some Yo La Tengo this month -- a group whose CD I probably never would have bought but tried and turned out to like quite a bit. Same with Rodrigo.

They have many, many great Naxos classical recordings, among others. That said, I always buy my classical music on CD or lossless (magnatune.com) because I'm pickier about quality with that genrge, but in all honesty I can't hear the difference most of the time.

--Chris

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 12
I agree with the above. They don't have a lot of mainstream music, but the price is so cheap, that you can afford to experiment with the indie labels. I signed up at the old rate ($15/mo for 65 songs...basically 6 albums for the price of one). Most of my downloads are between 190 and 240 kbps VBR.

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks. I wish I got in at the old rate! I found that their frontpage didn't link to the regular store pages, but if you Google you'll get a link to their store pages which lists all the artists. They actually are offering pretty good coverage if you go away from the pop stuff, which is great.

Anyway $10 for 30 songs isn't bad, about two album's worth, I figure. Also got 20% off by paying for the whole year in advance, so $100 for 360 songs, about 36 cents each, good deal.

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if there are users of the current emusic.com. I am interested in their selection in Jazz, Electronica, and Classical. How do you like their selection? You think it's worth it for the fee they charge? How is the quality of their rip?

$10 for 30 non-DRM tracks a month isn't bad if their selection is good. But I can't find a free way to browse the selection on their offering without signing up for a free trial.

IMO eMusic is totally worth it (I did sign up at an older rate). I don't mind the lack of mainstream artists - that's the entire reason I signed up, I wanted to find artists I didn't know about. Indie music ftw!

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 12
Adding to the chorus... big fan of eMusic here, especially given that I got in at the old rate and mostly download jazz and avant albums anyway that often comein at 5 tracks or so per album. That's a lot of music in 40 downloads a month...

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 12
A note about the monthly plan. If you don't use all of your allotted tracks per month, then you lose them. They don't rollover. I found this out last month when I had one track remaining last month. When my account renewed itself this month, I lost that one song. Oh well.

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 12
They still have 100 FREE download offers floating around so still seems worth it to sign up. Lots of good music available.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Another voice in the chorus. I love eMusic. DRM-free, good quality, and great indie selection.

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Classical selection on eMusic is very good indeed. They have picked up first class labels such as Channel, BIS, and Harmonia Mundi, and between these and the massive Naxos catalog you have really good coverage of all kinds of music.

I think the jazz selection is more limited, but even then I have just picked up the new Ornette Coleman and Joe Zawinul albums, showing that newer releases do filter through.

Rips are pretty good in quality - for 22 cents a track I am not complaining!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back