The Contradictions and the Inconsistencies regarding upgrading of headphone cables - please add to what you think are inconsistencies.
Oct 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 17
Well, you are pedantic, I won't grumble because your trait is in essence positive one, useful for mankind and useful on a site like this. But since the talk is of headphones cabling I'd better use term impedance instead of resistance so you won't jump on this less correct term.

"What are you talking about? What "distortion"? Ideally what you want is that "downshift..."

Yes, in an ideal conductor, which on this planet means silver or copper. Not in a brass one with gold coating and that is what the talk is about. If the coating of gold was really thick that 'downshift' might not be that preferable. As far as I remember brass, compared to copper, 'transmits' something like between 25 to 30 % of an electrical current that went in so to speak. The 25 to 30 % is a percentage of a percentage of what copper transmits. The rest is lost to heat conversion. Then there are greater phase shifts of a current in brass due to greater reactive inductance, the greater lagging power factor, the greater total harmonic distortion effect of brass that is coated with another material. I am not sure if there is also the case of the transmission of very high frequencies being boosted. The skin effect [the skin effect depth calculated as per 37% of a current at this given depth] 'takes care' of a part of a current. The higher frequencies should propagate better, relative to lower frequencies, in a material with higher impedance to that of copper. I cannot find a conductivity / frequency graph of a brass conductor so I am guessing. Correct me if I am wrong. The lower end of them, the very high frequencies, should have an effect on the resulting sound. Brief info. According to a japanese study, by Marantz, the listeners could tell difference between the music samples that had either frequencies ending at 20 000 Hz or not cut off and up to 80 000 Hz. See if I am right on this one : a 60 000 Hz signal will strengthen for instance every sixth wave of a 10 000 Hz signal and every third wave of a 20 000 Hz signal, when in phase and cancel the same when out of phase. The interactions of the high frequency inaudible spectrum on the audible one, in other words the frequencies of sound we do not hear, have an effect on the sound we hear. If the aim of the audio toil is to get an audio signal from one end of an audio chain to the other without having, to a greatest degree, its audio signature changed then compared to a signal travelling through silver a signal travelling through brass plated with gold is distorted. That is what I meant. If materials different than silver or copper had the same audio transmission quality properties as silver and copper then audio hi-fi world would use for the audio systems aluminum wires coated in zinc, because of its excellent anti oxidizing properties. I do not see anybody using them.

"The unit of resistivity is the ohm-meter."

Right, and that is a common usage formula. But we do not live in a 2 dimensional world and a conductor fills out a volume in space. That is why I wrote  "per unit of volume [of a conductor]" The formula means the same except the wording should be better.

"...it's not 1.69 ohms, it's 1.69 to 10^-8 or 0.0000000169 ohms"

I plead guilty, I dropped ' 10^-8 '.

"I'm afraid not even Emmylou Harris, even in her young age, and even while being given a Texas titty twister could hit 1MHz."

A. - On this one I submit a proper defense. I scanned the chart/column quickly and saw 1 kHz instead of 1 MHz at the head of a column. [letters are small]
Short attention and absent-mindedness due to watching a TV debate and typing a post for Head-fi forum and eating early morning dinner at the same time. You should try doing it sometimes.
B. - Using the expression " being given a Texas titty twister" when in relation to mentioning EmmyLou Harris is disrespectful of this very charming lady to whom we owe a lot, and to boot, a real southern lady. Please apologize, it does not have to be done in public, you can do it quietly and even when there is nobody around. On your honor. God sees everything.

Thanks for your post.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 17
I just want to say that this has got to be one of the funniest threads ive ever read on headfi. The cables forum never fails to deliver.

On topic, i think people should just stop worrying about this cable business. Whether or not you expect sound quality change, if you're satisfied with your purchase, who should blame you for it. That being said, i think the reason so many people are against the purchase of aftermarket cables is because there are other components in the chain like the amp or dac that more obviously improve the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back