THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #2,881 of 3,207
HE1000 Stealth would be the brighter sounding headphone here. Composer is closer to neutral. Vocal on hifiman has that "sweetness" that also found in other hifimans headphone, while Composer would be a bit drier here. Bass has more density on Composer.

Hifiman provide airier and bigger image, although Composer is quite open and airy sounding as well. For imaging quality and micro detail I think Composer is the better performer here.

Overall for me Composer is reference, transparent, and good imaging structured, but a bit on intimate side, and there is no extra kick/bite in notes that make it sound special (perhaps they really focus on reference tuning, that's why). A bit remind me of Heddphone Two in this regard (they don't sound identical though).
Very much agree. The Composer is, to my ears, voiced for reference tuning. Very balanced and transparent. In an sense, as I was discussing with @Uncle Wilson of Jaben Singapore last night, the Composer does show its DNA from the AKG K702 and K812 (which I still have), but the Composer is probably more nuanced.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #2,883 of 3,207
This is a long shot, but has anyone tried both these and the new sony mdr mv1?

Sorry to much bright to my ears 🙈😝

NOMAX

PS.But the form factor as well as wearing comfort are nice 👍

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #2,887 of 3,207
Who is speaking Spanish?

What he says more or less, is that the composert is a top of the line headphone and that it will appeal to people who like the hd800s but with warmer mids and deeper, better (and more planar like) bass.

Of course it is a commercial. But they are suggesting you come to the store to try it (rather than blind buy it). And the impressions track what most people have been saying already.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #2,888 of 3,207
Buying blind (and that includes everything that does not include listening for yourself) always has the potential to disappoint… nothing new here :wink:
Glad we have very nice EU regulations for returning items bought online. Though out of fairness I’d offer to cover shipping in the case of a return.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #2,889 of 3,207
What he says more or less, is that the composert is a top of the line headphone and that it will appeal to people who like the hd800s but with warmer mids and deeper, better (and more planar like) bass.

Of course it is a commercial. But they are suggesting you come to the store to try it (rather than blind buy it). And the impressions track what most people have been saying already.
HD800S with warmer mids and better bass is about right. There are other things however: on my system the sound is very upclose and present, more so than some people will like who prefer something more laid back. That also means there is little sense of depth, something that the HD800S has very much, for some people too much.
In my case the Composer had replaced my HD800S which now sits in its case. After using the Composer for a few days I sold my HE1000SE as I knew I was not going to use it much again.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #2,890 of 3,207
HD800S with warmer mids and better bass is about right. There are other things however: on my system the sound is very upclose and present, more so than some people will like who prefer something more laid back. That also means there is little sense of depth, something that the HD800S has very much, for some people too much.
In my case the Composer had replaced my HD800S which now sits in its case. After using the Composer for a few days I sold my HE1000SE as I knew I was not going to use it much again.
Hmmm this sound profile will actually work very well with my system.

Interest intensity increases…

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,892 of 3,207
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,893 of 3,207
What Hi-Fi is admirably informative, too: :face_palm::face_palm: (NOT!)

AUSTRIAN AUDIO THE COMPOSER TECH SPECS

Type Open-back over-ear wired
Bluetooth? No
Codec support N/A
Battery life N/A
ANC? No
Transparency mode? No
Built-in mic and controls N/A

Cable length 3m (3.5mm (6.3mm adaptor), XLR 4-pin) 1.4m (4.4mm Pentaconn)
Finishes Black
Weight 385g (without cables)
:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,895 of 3,207
The average rating from what hifi is like 5 stars… just saying.
Yes their rating system doesn't mean much. But if you read the review, it's another time someone compare the composer favorably to the Utopia. It's getting to be a theme...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back