THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,866 of 3,328
Composer has better bass. I always have trouble getting a proper fit with the hek stealth,plus it is much less comfortable compared to composer. Personally I find the timbre overall more natural with the composer. I don't think they are in the same league. YMMV

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #2,867 of 3,328
I tested the HEK Stealth some time ago and i liked the bass, i also like the very good detail retrieval. Does the Composer have a similar good detsil retrieval?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #2,868 of 3,328
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the Composer.

I have my troubles to choose between the Composer and the HEK Stealth. Both seem to have a highly detailed sound with good bass and fine mids and treble.
For me that’s an easy one… I’ve never had any hifiman model that was beyond OK for me, and other things like too fast product succession and interesting build problems would keep me from getting one anyway. To me they are also not comfortable, the cups are too large, esp too long for my head.

But in the nobody can help you with your decision. If you’ve narrowed it down to two, look for a place to test both, preferably with your own source. Only then you’ll know :wink:

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #2,869 of 3,328
I think the greatest strength of the composer is that he will surprise most people in the low end, you just wonder where does that come from if you listen to him
Is it really flat? And not raised/not boosted?😎

That's just the special thing, because most models just have a roll off and have thus withheld a lot from us and have not shown us what our music tracks has in it and offers
(I said to Bernie in the past...now i think its time to make one with bass/low end but please not so bright as K812 🙈 that also works easily on every dap,because
anything else would be not be in great demand .....and yes, this Baby it works really great on all devices 💪)

NOMAX

PS.Nice Weekend to all 👍

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #2,870 of 3,328

I have my troubles to choose between the Composer and the HEK Stealth. Both seem to have a highly detailed sound with good bass and fine mids and treble.
If you decide to go for the HEK Stealth, I would sell you mine and buy me the Composer. Pm me, if you are interested.

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #2,871 of 3,328
After hearing all the excitement over the Austria Audio Composer, imagine my delight when @Uncle Wilson messaged me earlier to tell me stock of the Composer has finally arrived at Jaben Singapore. Kudos to @Uncle Wilson for getting a demo unit even while I am confined for the next couple of weeks or so, :)

It did cheer me up no end! Now for some fun listening! :)

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg
IMG_3996.jpeg
IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_3999.jpeg

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #2,872 of 3,328
After hearing all the excitement over the Austria Audio Composer, imagine my delight when @Uncle Wilson messaged me earlier to tell me stock of the Composer has finally arrived at Jaben Singapore. Kudos to @Uncle Wilson for getting a demo unit even while I am confined for the next couple of weeks or so, :)

It did cheer me up no end! Now for some fun listening! :)

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpegIMG_3996.jpegIMG_3997.jpegIMG_3999.jpeg
Enjoy! Interested to hear your impressions 😁

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,875 of 3,328
My very initial impressions are that it is a very transparent pair of HPs, but yet nuanced and textured in its sound. The other thing is how easy it is to drive (relatively). I am currently confined and away from my desktop rig. So, it will be a couple of weeks before I can listen to the Composer on the desktop rig. But no issues at all since I am able to listen to it with the Shanling M9+ (22 on turbo gain), Luxury & Precision LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition (low gain).

Thus far, I am liking what I am hearing. :)

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,876 of 3,328

I have both Composer and Hifiman HE1000STEALTH and understand your difficulties to choose especially considering their price difference.
Both are neutrally tuned headphones. Hifiman has bigger soundstage and a bit elevated high frequencies, Composer is a bit more balanced with great bass weight in sub bass.
Hifimans are quite big, not heavy but a bit clumsy. Composer is very comfortable, but depending one's ear size the earcup's space might be a bit shallow.
If a had to keep only one, I would choose Composer although I like them both.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #2,878 of 3,328

HE1000 Stealth would be the brighter sounding headphone here. Composer is closer to neutral. Vocal on hifiman has that "sweetness" that also found in other hifimans headphone, while Composer would be a bit drier here. Bass has more density on Composer.

Hifiman provide airier and bigger image, although Composer is quite open and airy sounding as well. For imaging quality and micro detail I think Composer is the better performer here.

Overall for me Composer is reference, transparent, and good imaging structured, but a bit on intimate side, and there is no extra kick/bite in notes that make it sound special (perhaps they really focus on reference tuning, that's why). A bit remind me of Heddphone Two in this regard (they don't sound identical though).

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #2,879 of 3,328
Overall for me Composer is reference, transparent, and good imaging structured, but a bit on intimate side, and there is no extra kick/bite in notes that make it sound special (perhaps they really focus on reference tuning, that's why). A bit remind me of Heddphone Two in this regard (they don't sound identical though).

But for me personally, the LCD5 and the HEDD sound identical...simply dead and lifeless to my ears 🙈

NOMAX

PS.my ears come to life when I hear the composer against it...fun and pure aktion😜 ....Yes, a transparent performance can also be fun😎

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #2,880 of 3,328
Thank you all for your very nice written reviews of the HE1000 Stealth and the Composer!

I listened to the HE1000 Stealth and the V2. I think you described the Stealth very precisely. The comfort is a kind of mixed bag, one day it fits nice, on another day its heavy and big. Treble is a thing i really like, but sometimes on the Stealth and V2 it can get hot and piercing. So on the Composer it seemes to be good treble and not overly sharp. The things about soundstage, highly detailed sound and deep bass really sounds good to me.

Yes i bought them on ProjektAkustik today, a open box headphone for 1899€. I could not resist! So thanks again, i will write my opinion, when i could test them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back