THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #2,251 of 3,195
lol 😂 Thats some DIY level janky headphone design. Why would you design your driver to require such a thick piece of front damping to achieve the desired tonal response - apparently still too bright even with that thick of front damping.
Thats not true, it's not to bright!

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #2,252 of 3,195
Well, slapping a thick piece of foam in front of the driver is not how most manufacturers do things. It’s either a lack of skill in designing driver with desired tonal response, too cheap to scrap the bad drivers and reorder drivers with the correct tonal response or they got some OEM Chinese drivers with limited customization of the actual driver response. Regardless thar was a bad design.

It's not bad to put acoustic foam in front!
I just remarked only that you can't easily replace it yourself. Or you could simply remove it to clean it.

For example, I know another headphone that does this in a similar way - the K1000 successor Mysphere 3 https://mysphere.at/

MYSPHERE3-CushionStandard-201126-216px.jpg

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #2,253 of 3,195
It's not bad to put acoustic foam in front!
I just remarked only that you can't easily replace it yourself. Or you could simply remove it to clean it.

For example, I know another headphone that does this in a similar way - the K1000 successor Mysphere 3 https://mysphere.at/

MYSPHERE3-CushionStandard-201126-216px.jpg
you are missing my point. There is nothing wrong with front damping but to rely this heavily on front damping to control driver output is in the realm of janky DYI stuff, IMO.

DCA even sells tuning pads which are essentially front damping materials but those are relatively thin and really meant to be a couple of dB deviation in the upper mid and treble.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #2,254 of 3,195
However, it does make a difference whether what is in front of the transducer is fixed or slips slightly 😉

NOMAX

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #2,255 of 3,195
However, it does make a difference whether what is in front of the transducer is fixed or slips slightly 😉

NOMAX
I feel like there is a layer of hidden meaning that you are trying to communicate 🤣

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2,256 of 3,195
Well, slapping a thick piece of foam in front of the driver is not how most manufacturers do things. It’s either a lack of skill in designing driver with desired tonal response, too cheap to scrap the bad drivers and reorder drivers with the correct tonal response or they got some OEM Chinese drivers with limited customization of the actual driver response. Regardless thar was a bad design.
That sounds quite clueless as to their intentions and abilities. „Reorder“ is also the wrong idea, they make their drivers themselves.
The idea of AA using cheap Chinese drivers in their TOTL model made me laugh out loud.
There are of course numerous examples of front damping for whatever reason. My only objection is that it’s glued in place and therefore not so easy to exchange later on. We‘ll see if this is actually a problem or not.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #2,257 of 3,195
Thanks to a friendly dealer, I was able to test the Composer at home, but the first positive impression at the dealer was followed by disappointment.

The music is reproduced very competently, what arrives at the ear is excellent, but I miss the distance to the music, the “view” from the front. The direct music reproduction of the Composer stresses me out and prevents emotions. The generous use of crossfeed could perhaps help here, but unfortunately I can't test it.

I can recognize the quality of the Composer, but also that he is not made for me ☹️

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #2,258 of 3,195
That sounds quite clueless as to their intentions and abilities. „Reorder“ is also the wrong idea, they make their drivers themselves.
The idea of AA using cheap Chinese drivers in their TOTL model made me laugh out loud.
There are of course numerous examples of front damping for whatever reason. My only objection is that it’s glued in place and therefore not so easy to exchange later on. We‘ll see if this is actually a problem or not.
I don’t believe them. They are at best OEMed with AA spec but I don’t even think that’s the case. You have to wonder why couldn’t they tune the drivers during the prototyping stage or even during pilot run. Sometime because of minimum volume requirements from OEMs, they won’t accommodate low volume customers. IMO slapping a thick foam in front of the driver is bad engineering.

Side note: You do know China has some of the world’s most advanced and newest dynamic driver manufacturing facilities….right?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,259 of 3,195
I don’t believe them. They are at best OEMed with AA spec but I don’t even think that’s the case. You have to wonder why couldn’t they tune the drivers during the prototyping stage or even during pilot run. Sometime because of minimum volume requirements from OEMs, they won’t accommodate low volume customers. IMO slapping a thick foam in front of the driver is bad engineering.

Side note: You do know China has some of the world’s most advanced and newest dynamic driver manufacturing facilities….
It’s fortunately not a question of what you believe or not.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #2,260 of 3,195

Side note: You do know China has some of the world’s most advanced and newest dynamic driver manufacturing facilities….right?

I wonder why most of the Dynamic Drivers have a roll off...and AA shows how to do it right with their own transducer 😉
(Who knows...maybe they are made by little gnomes in my basement🤪...and then i sell it to AA😆)

NOMAX

PS.And I don't mind what's in front of it...as long as it's firmly in place and has a positive effect on the performance 👍

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,261 of 3,195

I believe, this song was made for you.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #2,262 of 3,195
I wonder why most of the Dynamic Drivers have a roll off...and AA shows how to do it right with their own transducer 😉
(Who knows...maybe they are made by little gnomes in my basement🤪...and I then sell it to😆)

NOMAX

PS.And I don't mind what's in front of it...as long as it's firmly in place and has a positive effect on the performance 👍
Have you seen their driver manufacturing facilities? Seen the drivers made from raw materials?

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #2,263 of 3,195
Thanks to a friendly dealer, I was able to test the Composer at home, but the first positive impression at the dealer was followed by disappointment.

The music is reproduced very competently, what arrives at the ear is excellent, but I miss the distance to the music, the “view” from the front. The direct music reproduction of the Composer stresses me out and prevents emotions. The generous use of crossfeed could perhaps help here, but unfortunately I can't test it.

I can recognize the quality of the Composer, but also that he is not made for me ☹️
Well that's unfortunate.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,265 of 3,195
you are missing my point. There is nothing wrong with front damping but to rely this heavily on front damping to control driver output is in the realm of janky DYI stuff, IMO.

DCA even sells tuning pads which are essentially front damping materials but those are relatively thin and really meant to be a couple of dB deviation in the upper mid and treble.
Isn’t the DCA AMTS just from dampening? More complex but it sits in front of the driver and tunes the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back