THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,191 of 3,366
Sorry don't feel like doing paperwork when I ship 😎
But if Crinacle comes to Munich Show again this year I'm sure something can be arranged👍

NOMAX

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,192 of 3,366
It would be great if some other owner of the Composer sent their one to Keith, as its the only place I have seen where they do the CSD diaagram, and that would prove if it has the property of electrostats or not. (Surprisingly the Stax he measured had a not so fast decay)

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #2,193 of 3,366
@Rob80b

There are reasons why a very specific foam is placed in front of the Composer Transducer 😉

NOMAX

Hopefully this foam is suitable for the long term.
Pores could become clogged with sweat and germs could also form.
In my opinion, it would make sense to be able to replace this foam yourself. Can you also get this as a spare part with instructions?

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #2,194 of 3,366
If Crinacle were based in the EU.... I would have already sent him one myself 👍
Because he also has a very special way of expressing himself when he gives his opinion on a model 😎
(He is also very strict 😈 and doesn't mince his words👍)

NOMAX

His homepage is not highly current https://crinacle.com/

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,195 of 3,366
Thats definitely a large problem, larger even than it was with print magazines (where some forgot to separate the ads business from the technical/review crew).
Yes, it would be helpful to have some reviews that are not so positive to be able to calibrate for the preferences of the reviewer (its easier to derive my personal offset from someone else's experience when I know both likes and dislikes), but I fully understand few will publish scathing reviews of things they really dislike -- a waste of time in the end.

Going back to Tyll, my gold standard reviewer, there's a good example: he did not like the K812 and therefore did not want to spend the time to write a review. Many K812 fans kept asking though, so he finally write a somewhat negative review while still keeping things professional. I can understand he was hesitant to spend that time, yet the result was still helpful.

HE also once did a review of some Ultrasone model (Edition 12 or something like that) with that rather famous scene in the accompanying video where he pulls it off in disgust. As I remember it was after that when he decided not to do/publish negative reviews anymore.

So yes, I understand your point. I also understand the impression that review must invariable be paid for. What I want to say is that there might be other reasons as well. It's not that all reviewers are dishonest (though many might not be self aware enough to see their own biases -- which, I'm ready to admit, is hard), but circumstances result in positive reviews. One reason I tried to outline above, others might exist as well.

I also tend to value private opinions higher, derived from gear they bought on their own budget. Yet that introduces another bias: self confirmation for the purchase. The world's never white/black, but always shades of gray... and no, I'm not talking about the book of the same name.

That was Edition 10.....one of the worst🙈🤣

Do you remember the Technics headphones EAH-T700? 😉

NOMAX

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #2,196 of 3,366

Do you remember the Technics headphones?😉

NOMAX
Ah, 10… yes, that may be the one I was thinking of.

Oh yes, that one was strange… and heavy. Too bad, Technics getting back into hifi was actually welcome to me.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #2,197 of 3,366
Ah, 10… yes, that may be the one I was thinking of.

Oh yes, that one was strange… and heavy.

And I was once again the bad guy for a lot of people back then 😎

NOMAX

PS.The K872 was also a disaster to my ears😝
I had asked Bernie why this bad tonality?...because you can do it much better....his answer....Harman wanted a Woom Woom model for the US market🤣
I'm really glad that DCA exists with the closed ones Stealth&E3👍

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #2,203 of 3,366
On the subject of reviewers - just briefly off topic - I think Keith Howard deserves a bigger mention. It seems he's not so well known in the US, but as someone who has read much more UK and European material for years, I've always seen him as a model reviewer (for many years in Hifi News). In terms of the discussion above, he seems to me more willing to address shortcomings as he sees them than some others - although I understand most publications will avoid reviewing products having no redeeming features. I've always appreciated his deep technical background, which I find very useful in illuminating why we hear what we hear. I think he combines this with an interest in music and sound which makes his reviews approachable. His current website - in the post above - is a great resource I think and reflects his meticulous approach and attention to detail.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #2,204 of 3,366
Thats definitely a large problem, larger even than it was with print magazines (where some forgot to separate the ads business from the technical/review crew).
Yes, it would be helpful to have some reviews that are not so positive to be able to calibrate for the preferences of the reviewer (its easier to derive my personal offset from someone else's experience when I know both likes and dislikes), but I fully understand few will publish scathing reviews of things they really dislike -- a waste of time in the end.

Going back to Tyll, my gold standard reviewer, there's a good example: he did not like the K812 and therefore did not want to spend the time to write a review. Many K812 fans kept asking though, so he finally write a somewhat negative review while still keeping things professional. I can understand he was hesitant to spend that time, yet the result was still helpful.

HE also once did a review of some Ultrasone model (Edition 12 or something like that) with that rather famous scene in the accompanying video where he pulls it off in disgust. As I remember it was after that when he decided not to do/publish negative reviews anymore.

So yes, I understand your point. I also understand the impression that review must invariable be paid for. What I want to say is that there might be other reasons as well. It's not that all reviewers are dishonest (though many might not be self aware enough to see their own biases -- which, I'm ready to admit, is hard), but circumstances result in positive reviews. One reason I tried to outline above, others might exist as well.

I also tend to value private opinions higher, derived from gear they bought on their own budget. Yet that introduces another bias: self confirmation for the purchase. The world's never white/black, but always shades of gray... and no, I'm not talking about the book of the same name.
Ultrasone Ed10
I had one and it was my longest keeper.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #2,205 of 3,366

Do you remember the Technics headphones EAH-T700? 😉

NOMAX
I had the Ed10 and loved:hated it. It was badly flawed in the treble which fizzed and distorted but it had the best, most natural sound I have heard with great staging. You were really present at the venue listening to the music.
Also the treble could be cured by changing the pads covering the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back