THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 4, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #2,056 of 3,330
There was not only this edition of the Composer in the tests, but an even brighter one 😝
Too much brightness has nothing to do with a realistic performance; yes, it can be impressive, but it can also be stressful and have a negative effect on the listener
In any case, I'm glad that the version we have now is this one that is not so bright and doesn't remind me of that time
And for those if the composer still seems too bright as it is now... who knows what else AA will surprise us with😉
You can not only intervene with the DSP but also technically..... with a different ear pad 😎

NOMAX
What bright and less bright editions are you talking about?
What did I miss? Are there different versions with different tonalities on the market? (Serial numbers?)

I have to admit that I didn't follow this thread for longer time until yesterday (so excuse my cluelessness).
I have one of those Composer headphones, and this thread caught my attention again, so I read through January.
The thread is indeed becoming unreadable, as @Fegefeuer correctly commented (imho).
The discussion goes back and forth and back and forth. With pretty hardened fronts, no real movement.

As for EQ, it works very well on the Composer btw (haven't noticed any audible distortion or clipping yet, but I don't hear at 120dB tbh, so it's all relative :wink:).
My conclusion is, as already written, that I found the Composer to be of very high technical quality (intrinsic technical aspects, in particular linearity*, resolution, dynamic stability). And in such a case you can easily do all the sound manipulations you want, linear (=EQ) and non-linear. I like it even without EQ, but I'm a Stax aficionado, so my weird taste in brightness doesn't mean much :wink:.

*) by "linearity" I do not mean the frequency response. I mean the linearity of the technical behavior, i.e. the absence of intermodulation (IMD) and resonance effects.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #2,057 of 3,330
@Rob80b

.......😎
❗️So there are reasons why we, as enthusiasts, don't just listen to one model ❗
❗️However, two for at home and one for on the go should be enough to cover your genres❗

NOMAX

PS.Only a very honest opinion and view from a crazy guy from Austria😎

Although I have reduced my collection, I also listen alternately with the few headphones I still have. For Composer I wait for the velour/alcantara pads.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #2,058 of 3,330
What bright and less bright editions are you talking about?
What did I miss? Are there different versions with different tonalities on the market? (Serial numbers?)

I have to admit that I didn't follow this thread until yesterday (so excuse my cluelessness).
I have one of those Composer headphones, and this thread suddenly caught my attention, so I read through January.
The thread is indeed becoming unreadable, as @Fegefeuer correctly commented (imho).
The discussion goes back and forth and back and forth. With pretty hardened fronts, no real movement.

As for EQ, it works very well on the Composer btw (haven't noticed any audible distortion or clipping yet, but I don't hear at 120dB tbh, so it's all relative :wink:).
My conclusion is, as already written, that I found the Composer to be of very high technical quality (intrinsic technical aspects, in particular linearity*, resolution, dynamic stability). And in such a case you can easily do all the sound manipulations you want, linear (=EQ) and non-linear. I like it even without EQ, but I'm a Stax aficionado, so my weird taste in brightness doesn't mean much :wink:.

*) by "linearity" I do not mean the frequency response. I mean the linearity of the technical behavior, i.e. the absence of intermodulation (IMD) and resonance effects.

I said that the version we have now (the puplic offical ) is not that bright...there were others that were brighter in testing before release😎

NOMAX

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #2,060 of 3,330
Feb 4, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #2,061 of 3,330
And for those if the composer still seems too bright as it is now... who knows what else AA will surprise us with😉
You can not only intervene with the DSP but also technically..... with a different ear pad 😎
That's good news, staying tuned here

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #2,062 of 3,330
Different opinions are just fine, different takes on the same headphone as well. As long as the person writing did in fact hear the headphone in question.

Just repeating over and over that Nomax is not to be trusted is simply nonsense and doesn’t add any value to this thread that might help others decide.

I now know Nomax for many years, and while I can fully understand if someone takes offense at his style of communication, I’m sure it’s his honest opinion and not some shady association with any company.

As @WernerW already mentioned several comments here were simply unfair, unfounded and just not helpful. I understand that the anonymity of a forum always furthers such tendencies. Yet I think enough is enough.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #2,063 of 3,330
The Ignore function has been really useful for me here. Some people really need to get a life. :smile:

Two of my latest goosebump sessions with DX300 as streamer into Aune S16 DAC feeding a Flux Lab FA-10 Limited :

81xtajISPGL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

61Q7IhG-ysL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

ACT and ECM albums are always a treat to listen to, with my D8000 Pro and now the Composer.

I really enjoy the lightning fast DD driver from AA. I find it as amazing as the Heddphone but the Composer timbre has my preference. Its comfort too, obviously, even next to the Heddphone 2.

It's an intense experience, when the volume is right, usually a bit more than half the course of the potentiometer on the FA-10 Limited in low gain mode (Æon 2 Noire on the same system is 60% volume at high gain).

For acoustic music / jazz, I don't need EQ unless there's a problem with the mix. For other genres that are mixed with too much gain on the high mids / treble for my taste, here's my current parametric EQ settings in UAPP / Toneboosters:

Composer1.png

Note the settings in the top left corner :
output level -3.0dB
gain effect 100% => I usually reduce it to 60%

The low shelf can be disregarded if bass is enough for you stock.

Love my music sessions with this headphone. :two_hearts:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #2,064 of 3,330
He certainly is. I tried to visit his grave when I was there last and couldn't get anywhere close to it. This was 25 yrs ago. It was guarded by Rastas with guns... haha
Yea,, a rough area. My driver wouldn't drive from the main hwy to trenchtown, saying it was too dangerous.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #2,065 of 3,330
Yea,, a rough area. My driver wouldn't drive from the main hwy to trenchtown, saying it was too dangerous.
What a beautiful Island with amazing people

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #2,066 of 3,330
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #2,067 of 3,330
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #2,068 of 3,330
This thread has become unreadable.
The claims of giving you the sun and moon has never been intense until this thread. Until I've personally auditioned a phone, this thread or any other thread is all but entertainment to me. Lastly, I am very confident to judge a headphone against my preference and the most super uber hyped ones usually misses the mark.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #2,069 of 3,330
Now it would be boring and less informative if we all just beat the same drum.
.... at the same tempo, with the same change-ups .... 🥁 😉

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #2,070 of 3,330
Two of my latest goosebump sessions with DX300 as streamer into Aune S16 DAC feeding a Flux Lab FA-10 Limited :

81xtajISPGL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

61Q7IhG-ysL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

ACT and ECM albums are always a treat to listen to, with my D8000 Pro and now the Composer.

Love my music sessions with this headphone. :two_hearts:

Wollny.....my way to him and to this track here.....through someone from the forum few years ago..... Thanks for sharing👍
One of my test tracks when it comes to how far the low end goes and how full it is
The important thing for me is the extent to which this abundance is clearly presented
Really brilliant with the Composer this part of the tonal performance 👍
Too much fullness would disrupt the rest of the performance...and something would be missing if the composer have a roll off 😉
And I'm really glad he doesn't have it 😎

NOMAX

PS.Wish you all a nice evening and greetings from Austria

😎

IMG_9777.jpeg

🤘

IMG_9780.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back