THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #1,786 of 3,434
And the composer is still excellent on Chamber. Symphony is something that really should be heard on speakers or in the hall. But the composer does great for a headphone. But the HD800S's wider soundstage wins the day.

The only difference is that the soundstage is not on the recording the way the HD800/S presents it😉
(It is up to the acoustician how far away from the ear and at what angle he places the transducers...but this has nothing to do with the authenticity of what is on the recording)

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #1,787 of 3,434
You choose a music that sounding better on Utopia and says Utopia is different league. 🤣

Years ago, the Frenchman was already in a completely different league to the HD800S..That's what I meant😉

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,788 of 3,434
The only difference is that the soundstage is not on the recording the way the HD800/S presents it😉

NOMAX
That is true for every headphone. But the wide soundstage is more like what you would hear on speakers....

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,790 of 3,434
Yeah, Utopia driver failure rate is completely different league compared to HD800S. 🤣

Strangely enough, I've never had a problem with mine 👍
(Actually only once many many years ago with the Denon D7000)

NOMAX

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,791 of 3,434
This discussion makes no sense. Both Utopia and HD800s are top headphones for a reason.
I owned both and I won't consider any of them to be better, just different. Each one has his strengths, but for me, they are in the same league.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #1,793 of 3,434
This discussion makes no sense. Both Utopia and HD800s are top headphones for a reason.
I owned both and I won't consider any of them to be better, just different. Each one has his strengths, but for me, they are in the same league.

For me, a sound stage is not the most important thing...I'm more interested in the sound and technical performance 😎

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,794 of 3,434
Nomax just like to overhyped some headphones. 🤣

Everyone has their own preferences and ideas about a performance over headphones .... which do not necessarily coincide with mine 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol 🤪

@minute 30.30

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #1,796 of 3,434
Sound and technical performance of the HD800 is on par with pretty much every out there.

TANO

PS LOL

I am happy for everyone who is still happy with him 👍

NOMAX

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,797 of 3,434
I was just wondering on how this would compare to the following headphones:

a. Meze Empyrean 2
b. Abyss Diana MR
c. Dan Clark E3
d. Modhouse Tungsten
e. ZMF Caldera
f. used Stax 009s
g. used Hifiman Susvara

... or should i just buy speakers with 2000+ grand in cash.
If you have followed the bit heated up discussion here, I think you came into conclusion that your question is wide. And really difficult if not impossible to answer.
It might be a good idea anyhow to check out which you prefer more, headphones or loudspeakers or maybe them both.
It might also be helpfull to scale up your budget vs the whole package you intend to buy. At least Susvara and higher end Staxes are really picky for amps etc. There ain't much sense to buy headphones with great potential if the rest of pack doesn't support it.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,798 of 3,434
Nice discussions going on, I've been listening to the composer a lot since I got it. Brought it to a shoot out with Susvara recently at a friend's place, on a true hi-end system (100k USD+), the Susvara is in a different league in all the technicalities, but I still prefer the mids/vocal of the composer. For me personally, the sonic signature is just something irreplaceable, and the composer's technicality is still in the top dynamic driver league.

I can dig out my OG Utopia from the dust for a comparison if ppl are interested, I am lacking the drive to do that at the moment and am focusing on my next system upgrade which is going to be surrounding the composer.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,799 of 3,434
Nice discussions going on, I've been listening to the composer a lot since I got it. Brought it to a shoot out with Susvara recently at a friend's place, on a true hi-end system (100k USD+), the Susvara is in a different league in all the technicalities, but I still prefer the mids/vocal of the composer. For me personally, the sonic signature is just something irreplaceable, and the composer's technicality is still in the top dynamic driver league.

I can dig out my OG Utopia from the dust for a comparison if ppl are interested, I am lacking the drive to do that at the moment and am focusing on my next system upgrade which is going to be surrounding the composer.
Which system (surrounding the Composer) are you eyeing?

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,800 of 3,434
Which system (surrounding the Composer) are you eyeing?
I think the AIC-10 will stay, it compliments the composer pretty well and is very transparent for the source to make a difference. My source (Meridian 808v5 CDP) is going to be replaced, eyeing Esoteric and Weiss streamer DACs at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back