THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jan 20, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #1,756 of 3,209
Some rock-solid Swiss and Austrian design, because @musicday wants more photos. It's a great reason for me to procrastinate even more by taking them. :upside_down:

Austrian Audio The Composer x Revox B77.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,757 of 3,209
I had a chance to demo the Composer this week. Some brief thoughts:

1. Aesthetics: while its a bit utilitarian in nature, I liked it. Very sleek.
  2. Build: this feels like top notch, rock solid Build. Very lightweight but not in a "plastic-y" type of way (see Yamaha YH-5000SE or A-T ADX5000). Easily one of the more perceivably well-built cans on the market. Also very easy to drive.
  3. Comfort: light-weight, thoughtful cable jack placement, and ergonomic; instantly seems to be one of the most comfortable on the market. Alas, comfort was actually one of my only problems with it, which I'll reference at the end.
  4. Sound/Performance: in my brief, 10 minute demo, can't say too much, other than this; I liked what I heard and this is a headphone that really hits my FR preferences (leans neutral). Dynamics were OK, not class-leading but also not flat like some Planars tend to be. Imaging seemed above-average, soundstage was a bit intimate for my taste. Tonality and timbre was definitely a hit for me, seemed quite natural. Bass wasn't as tight as some other options in the high-end, but it also wasn't boosted or overly bloated. Highs seems smooth. Not much to fault here, for me.
I was close to instantly buying it, but I had one annoyance that made me have to think of it; my ears hit the inside of the cups, which made the comfort go from A+ to C for me. The culprit here is a combo of an angled foam used over the driver + the depth of the pads being a little shallow. The angled foam part is where my ears hit. My ears are average size, so it might not be a problem for everybody.

Overall, this is a very solid headphone and competes very well in the crowded USD $1K-3K market. I suspect I will purchase a pair, ideally if AA releases another pad option that might be less shallow/compresses less on the head.
Thanks for this- helpful. I'm particularly interested in how the Composer compares with the ADX5000, which I like very much. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,758 of 3,209
Thanks for this- helpful. I'm particularly interested in how the Composer compares with the ADX5000, which I like very much. Any thoughts?

I definitely need more time to really ascertain this, because I've owned ADX5000 for years so I'm much more familiar.

At a first glance, Composer shares similarities (neutral-leaning, a little bass-light), but Composer definitely has smoother treble than ADX5000. ADX5000 wins on technicalities (resolution/detail retrieval, imaging). Composer has more bass-quantity but ADX5000 bass is a bit tighter.

Composer likely a better option for longer listening sessions, smoother and less fatiguing. Also better for Rock music. ADX5000 a better option for critical listening, as well as jazz/classical music.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I demoed 5 songs on the Composer only!

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #1,760 of 3,209
IMG_20240121_205926.jpg

Yup, decided to keep it as soon as it made sound. Remember what I said earlier about an AKG classic sound with modern technicality? That's exactly what the composer is, and I'm too excited right now and gonna listen through my collection tonight...

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,762 of 3,209
Everything comes with its time😎
As next up are the Alcantara pads and the 2 meter Pentaconn cable 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #1,764 of 3,209
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #1,765 of 3,209
Just got a pair in along with the full score one.
These are excellent thus far
20240124_161107.jpg

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #1,766 of 3,209
Some rock-solid Swiss and Austrian design, because @musicday wants more photos. It's a great reason for me to procrastinate even more by taking them. :upside_down:

Austrian Audio The Composer x Revox B77.jpg

You have some good music on original analog tapes!? :relaxed::heart_eyes:

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,768 of 3,209
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,770 of 3,209
@Minute 10.35.....a closer look to the inside 😎

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back