THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,336 of 3,215
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,339 of 3,215
Well, that's a great name for a japanese jazz label, don't you think. This is anyhow new info for me. Thanks!
Welcome to Head-Fi!
Well, what/who is this "three blind mice" that bought the Composer if not the recording label? A person or a company/dealer or you maybe? Your comment is not saying anything up to now...

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,341 of 3,215
IMG_20231202_125452.jpg

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,342 of 3,215
A short comparison, without any EQ. The ADI-2 Pro allows two headphones with different volume levels, so I was able to adjust them to a similar volume level.

- For the tuning, I sometimes prefer the Expanse, sometimes the Composer. The mids are still a bit clearer sounding 9n the Expanse, which helps in some busy passages like one below, the vibraphone to pop up slightly better. The treble is with the normal position, Expanse is a bit darker but if you place it a little bit up and back, Expanse sounds very fun without sounding sharp. Composer has a bit stronger lower treble and with some badly made recording you might feel the edginess. But it has a more spacious tuning, which is I think related to the cup design. The Expanse image is closer, with closer driver structure and smaller in cup space. Composer is more like HifiMan, but more controlled treble than the HE1000 series. I guess it is similar to Susvara.

- For the comfort, I prefer the Expanse. The shape of the earpads and their softness is just amazing. It might be (I haven't checked) a bit heavier but you don't feel it. Again, a plus for the Expanse.

- The build is again a plus for the Expanse. Composer feels a bit more fragile in hand. Also Expanse can be folded easily and carried or stored in the provided case. I think Expanse has the best design and build in the market.

- The huge win for the composer is the sensitivity. It can be driven out of pretty much anything, and your portable amp will consume less battery power.

I thought about it again, involved my wife for a decision (she preferred the Expanse) and couldn't decide. I know, I can use the EQ, but I still like the comfort of the Expanse over anything else. It is a genius design. So, for now I am keeping both.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #1,343 of 3,215
The ADI-2 Pro allows two headphones with different volume levels, so I was able to adjust them to a similar volume level.
That's very interesting!
I wish more devices would support that for AB Tests

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,344 of 3,215
A short comparison, without any EQ. The ADI-2 Pro allows two headphones with different volume levels, so I was able to adjust them to a similar volume level.

- For the tuning, I sometimes prefer the Expanse, sometimes the Composer. The mids are still a bit clearer sounding 9n the Expanse, which helps in some busy passages like one below, the vibraphone to pop up slightly better. The treble is with the normal position, Expanse is a bit darker but if you place it a little bit up and back, Expanse sounds very fun without sounding sharp. Composer has a bit stronger lower treble and with some badly made recording you might feel the edginess. But it has a more spacious tuning, which is I think related to the cup design. The Expanse image is closer, with closer driver structure and smaller in cup space. Composer is more like HifiMan, but more controlled treble than the HE1000 series. I guess it is similar to Susvara.

- For the comfort, I prefer the Expanse. The shape of the earpads and their softness is just amazing. It might be (I haven't checked) a bit heavier but you don't feel it. Again, a plus for the Expanse.

- The build is again a plus for the Expanse. Composer feels a bit more fragile in hand. Also Expanse can be folded easily and carried or stored in the provided case. I think Expanse has the best design and build in the market.

- The huge win for the composer is the sensitivity. It can be driven out of pretty much anything, and your portable amp will consume less battery power.

I thought about it again, involved my wife for a decision (she preferred the Expanse) and couldn't decide. I know, I can use the EQ, but I still like the comfort of the Expanse over anything else. It is a genius design. So, for now I am keeping both.

keep the one your wife likes better. Women generally have better hearing than men. Plus wife is always right.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,345 of 3,215
keep the one your wife likes better. Women generally have better hearing than men. Plus wife is always right.
Better hearing -- I don't know. but most definitely less impressed with technicalities, price and critical listening, keeping a more open mind I think.
So yes, its always a good idea to let women have a listen and think about their assessment.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,346 of 3,215
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,348 of 3,215
How do you measure that both headphones have exactly the same volume level?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #1,350 of 3,215
Any comparisions Composer with T+A Solitaire P or P-SE?
Composer is a lot brighter than both T+As.
Unfortunately I don't know more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back