THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 28, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #961 of 3,411
with this you have now shared a lot of information for everyonešŸ‘šŸ™ˆ
At least it seems he knows what heā€™s talking about and doesnā€™t need to ask a thousand unnecessary questionsā€¦

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #962 of 3,411
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #963 of 3,411
For those who are very sensitive to microphonic headphone cables:
Almost every cable becomes very microphonic when it is under tension, even by its own weight (eg. when the listener is standing). When the cable is left curvy and untensed the microphonic effect can almost disappear. One can find many simple ways to create/retain curves on the cable relatively near the earcups, almost eliminating this kind of noise coming from friction at lower parts of it. Try it and you'll be surprised by the difference. Especially impressive when testing by holding a small curve/circle of the cable in your hand, tapping/rubbing at a lower part of it.
This also explains some very different reports by users on the same cable/headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #964 of 3,411
So far I have not noticed any microphonic effects with the Composer cables, which are very well designed in this direction!

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #965 of 3,411
Powerful and Ultra-low Noise! Full Score One Amplifier by Austrian Audio

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #966 of 3,411
Addendum - from beginning

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #967 of 3,411
I listened to the Composer at an audio show in Tokyo yesterday.
Impressions from several short demonstrations under noisy conditions.
To be honest, I didn't fall in love with it at first listen. I may have expected too much. But, the more I listened to it, the more I started to like it.
At first, I was confused by the unique presentation.
Somehow, it makes a loud sound. It is exactly the same size as a driver, and plays in a vertical oval shape. (it might be nonsense impression.)
The sound is certainly like STAX. No distortion. In a word, clean sound.
I got the impression that it had the same pedigree as the Hi-X65, which had a dynamic driver and sounded extremely clean.
However, the Composer allows you to play much louder than the Hi-X65.
In terms of character, it sounds like an open DCA Stealth with improved drivability.
It can perform in any genre, from symphony to chamber music to opera.
Utopia reproduces the tones of instruments with realistic impact and texture, making them sound vivid. It doesn't sound like that with the Composer.
In that respect, it's more like Stealth. Clean bass like Stealth. More accurate and visible sound than making it sound real.
The fit, build, and lightness are great.
I'd like to listen in a calm environment.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #968 of 3,411
In terms of character, it sounds like an open DCA Stealth with improved drivability.
Utopia reproduces the tones of instruments with realistic impact and texture, making them sound vivid. It doesn't sound like that with the Composer.
In that respect, it's more like Stealth. Clean bass like Stealth. More accurate and visible sound than making it sound real.
I couldn't ask for more.

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #970 of 3,411
I love all the chit chat about this headphone. I'm really enjoying the conjecture, the reviews of those who have listened. I'm going to revisit this thread in 2 - 3 years to compare and contrast today's conversations with those in 2025-26.... LOL! :beerchug:

Leo

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #971 of 3,411
I love all the chit chat about this headphone. I'm really enjoying the conjecture, the reviews of those who have listened. I'm going to revisit this thread in 2 - 3 years to compare and contrast today's conversations with those in 2025-26.... LOL! :beerchug:

Leo
I see you have a lot of free timešŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #972 of 3,411

Leo
I may have already missed the mark by a huge amount.... hahaha
Sound impressions based on current headphones on the market will eventually become outdated.
I could have been cautious and said that I still don't understand the new sounds I've heard, but I've tried to be frank.
Go easy on me!

As for the Composer, I'm not sure I'd buy it outright.
The reason is that I have DCA Stealth.
But, I'd like to try listening again.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #973 of 3,411
I listened to the Composer at an audio show in Tokyo yesterday.
Impressions from several short demonstrations under noisy conditions.
To be honest, I didn't fall in love with it at first listen. I may have expected too much. But, the more I listened to it, the more I started to like it.
At first, I was confused by the unique presentation.
Somehow, it makes a loud sound. It is exactly the same size as a driver, and plays in a vertical oval shape. (it might be nonsense impression.)
The sound is certainly like STAX. No distortion. In a word, clean sound.
I got the impression that it had the same pedigree as the Hi-X65, which had a dynamic driver and sounded extremely clean.
However, the Composer allows you to play much louder than the Hi-X65.
The fit, build, and lightness are great.
I'd like to listen in a calm environment.
So I only did a short listen at CanJam and I came to the same conclusion that it reminded me of a more musical Stealth. I see all this talk of it being a better Utopia and just fear a lot of people are going to be let down. I did not find the Composer as exciting or punchy. This punchy sound is something frequency graphs donā€™t see to show. So even though this might look like the Utopia on paper with more sub bass, thatā€™s not the impression I got.

I loved the original Utopia when I owned them and had just heard them at CanJan on a dcs Lina stack and they still sounded great to me. While I was impressed with the Composersā€™s technical abilities, I wasnā€™t moved by them, same way Iā€™m not moved by the Stealth. However I did like them more than the Stealth but definitely less than the Utopia. Itā€™s just a matter of preference.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #974 of 3,411
So I only did a short listen at CanJam and I came to the same conclusion that it reminded me of a more musical Stealth. I see all this talk of it being a better Utopia and just fear a lot of people are going to be let down. I did not find the Composer as exciting or punchy. This punchy sound is something frequency graphs donā€™t see to show. So even though this might look like the Utopia on paper with more sub bass, thatā€™s not the impression I got.

I loved the original Utopia when I owned them and had just heard them at CanJan on a dcs Lina stack and they still sounded great to me. While I was impressed with the Composersā€™s technical abilities, I wasnā€™t moved by them, same way Iā€™m not moved by the Stealth. However I did like them more than the Stealth but definitely less than the Utopia. Itā€™s just a matter of preference.
Frankly I didn't like any of the Utopias. First one had a sharp upper mids, second one has a dull treble. I never cared about the so called "punch", which is apparently what most HeadFi'ers only care about. It was super tiring for me, people who didn't like Stealth's "punch", popping up on the Stealth tread and talking about how bad the punch is for days.

By the way, the more the subbass is audible relative to the rest of the bass, the less is the the so called punch. That is just my observation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back