THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,291 of 3,411
Today I did spend some time with the Composer and still like it. It's impressively detailed, yet not in my face like so many other TOTLs: everything's there and easy to notice/follow, but its not splitting music into its parts and forgetting the overall picture. The bass is still very impressive in its reach down below. Bass is also immensely detailed... which is quite an accomplishment and most welcome.
to me the space it projects is not missing anything. There are wider presentations, but it feels completely natural and, even more important, completely stable.

IMG_2373.jpegIMG_2378.jpeg

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,292 of 3,411
@plakat I think that you have owned the AA HIX60... It seems that the Composer's frequency response is very similar to the AA HI X65. Do you find similarities between them? I don't know what are the differences between HIX60 and HIX65...

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #1,293 of 3,411
Tuned to be like if a Hi-X65 and Hi-X60 had a baby? :thinking:
@plakat I think that you have owned the AA HIX60... It seems that the Composer's frequency response is very similar to the AA HI X65. Do you find similarities between them? I don't know what are the differences between HIX60 and HIX65...
Want to know too but refined in the Composer.
Today I did spend some time with the Composer and still like it. It's impressively detailed, yet not in my face like so many other TOTLs: everything's there and easy to notice/follow, but its not splitting music into its parts and forgetting the overall picture. The bass is still very impressive in its reach down below. Bass is also immensely detailed... which is quite an accomplishment and most welcome.
to me the space it projects is not missing anything. There are wider presentations, but it feels completely natural and, even more important, completely stable.

IMG_2373.jpegIMG_2378.jpeg
Now the Composer has even peaked my interest more as I could somewhat apply your impression to the NDH 30 except the bass bass which more neutral in that region and lesser energy on the treble.

Any ETA on the Composer in the US?

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,294 of 3,411
Yes, I used to own the X60, but its more than 1 year since I sold it... so sonic differences are unreliable. From memory I'd say the Composer goes much deeper into subbass territory and makes more details available there, while the X60 had a decent amount of bass (a bit less overall) but did not like the lowest frequencies as much. I'd also say that the Composer represents voices more realistically while the X60 at times was a bit thin in that regard.

Buildwise the Composer is a large step ahead and feels much more premium in hand. The pads are also much larger (inner as well as outer dimensions) though maybe a bit less deep. Much easier to change as well. The headband is a completely different construction, with the split into the metal and the suspended soft part that actually touches the head. To me the X60 is a very comfortable headphone, yet the Composer is so much better... even though it is quite a bit heavier.

I've never heard the X65 since I'm not that interested in open back headphones (OK, OK... my Grados are all open... I know) and the X60 was a readily available closed alternative. I've heard the X65 is rather basslight, and while my basshead inner self could well live with 3dB more bass on the Composer, the quality and especially extension makes its bass very satisfying.

I do prefer single-side cable entry as with the X60... plus that one included a short 3.5mm cable in the package. Personally I'd like it if the Composer came with something like that instead of the XL4 terminated cable.

The X60 was not inefficient, bit the Composer seems much more sensitive. On my old Hugo I'm mostly in that "light red" lowest volume segment.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,295 of 3,411
Arrived a bit late today, listening will have to wait...
But I already know that I like the ca. 2m cables of my GH2 better: the only single ended cable is 3m, thats just too much for my use case. Will get a 3.5mm -> Pentacon adapter to be able to use the shorter Pentacon cable

IMG_2368.jpegIMG_2363.jpeg

@plakat
The 3 standard cable is to long for me too. An XLR4 to Pentacon adapter needed! Or a shorter cable with 6.35 mm jack.
For my DT1990 I bought a additional 1.8m cable too. There is the original cable 3m long.
Which adapters will you get? I am asking because I had a DDhifi adapter in the past and a very slight sound degradation was noticeable.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,296 of 3,411
I think Composer is the HP to accompany me as I slowly phase out of this so called hobby. I pretty much feel that I am done. I wanted a great HP that's easy to drive. And here it is. I don't even feel the slightest interest to check other threads.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,297 of 3,411
Which adapters will you get? I am asking because I had a DDhifi adapter in the past and a very slight sound degradation was noticeable.
I ordered one from that big online shop made by Geekria... the connectors in the product photos look OK although the cable looks a bit flimsy. Should have arrived today but did not... so unfortunately I can't yet tell if this was a good choice.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,298 of 3,411
I think Composer is the HP to accompany me as I slowly phase out of this so called hobby. I pretty much feel that I am done. I wanted a great HP that's something easy to drive. And here it is. I don't even feel the slightest interest to check other threads.
While I fully understand how playing around with gear can be nice, overall its about the music for me, so I toned down my new acquisitions some years ago and engage much less here (other reasons I stated a few pages back).
I do like those Grados I bought the last few months, but those are also following a slower timeline. The Composer is a headphone one can live for a long time with I think. I also don't expect AA to supersede it with a new version 6 months from now, like some other companies do again and again.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,299 of 3,411
While I fully understand how playing around with gear can be nice, overall its about the music for me, so I toned down my new acquisitions some years ago and engage much less here (other reasons I stated a few pages back).
I do like those Grados I bought the last few months, but those are also following a slower timeline. The Composer is a headphone one can live for a long time with I think. I also don't expect AA to supersede it with a new version 6 months from now, like some other companies do again and again.
The beauty of it all is not with what many call "end-game" (end game is such a boring and meaningless thing to me) but with what and how a particular phone presents the music to you regardless of your preference. Having phones with it's own particular character, be it closed/open back, neutral, balanced, tilted or in any shape/form, that settle well with you is really where the enjoyment of this crazy hobby is centered on. Like beauty, music and sound can be beautiful only to one's ear.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,300 of 3,411
While I appreciate reviews, I want to hear the downsides of this pair of headphones. What is bad about it? That is what matters to me, in terms of potentially making a purchase. I have way too many headphones, but this pair has been on my radar. To be honest, I expect it to be mid, but you never know.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #1,301 of 3,411
While I appreciate reviews, I want to hear the downsides of this pair of headphones. What is bad about it? That is what matters to me, in terms of potentially making a purchase. I have way too many headphones, but this pair has been on my radar. To be honest, I expect it to be mid, but you never know.
The smart play is to always wait and see after the hype dies down and see what the general consensus would be. We always see these after the honeymoon phase is over.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #1,302 of 3,411
I think Composer is the HP to accompany me as I slowly phase out of this so called hobby. I pretty much feel that I am done. I wanted a great HP that's easy to drive. And here it is. I don't even feel the slightest interest to check other threads.
I promised you....😉
A headphone that fits very well, one that is not too bulky, a headphone that you take in your hand and immediately know aha someone has thought about it
(Industrialdesign...No double-sided adhesive tapes,or any cross screws that were used 20 years ago 🤣 etc etc)
And the best...you no longer need to worry..... can be powered from anywhere 👍

NOMAX

PS.If there is something similar again, I'll let you know 😎

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #1,304 of 3,411
There's always a latest and greatest for it is how the wheel works :beyersmile:
Then I ask myself why no one or only a few create a very good industrial design?
Doesn't have much to do with something new and great, but rather with whether you are prepared to make the effort as a manufacturer? 😎

NOMAX

PS.Some still think they can score points in the high-price segment with some ill-conceived contructs...that will be difficult in the future
Because I'm getting more stricter in 2024😉

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,305 of 3,411
For you it might lack some Bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

• TRHH
Back