THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
May 1, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #3,181 of 3,195
The Sennheiser HD 800 S, is selling for $1,699 USD (now discounted to $1,355 USD) which is excellent with the SAEQ amplifier btw, is a faster and lighter sounding headphone than The Composer. It also has a higher energy level with more explicit upper mids and livelier top end. The Composer in returns sounds a tad slower, but fuller, with bigger body and bass impact (sub bass). The mid punch is far more present in The Composer and the vocals are more forward placed. The clarity and control are good in The Composer but the HD 800 S does take this a serious step further. We could also say that the HD 800 S is the more typical reference audiophile tuned headphone, where The Composer is the more fun, musical and engaging one with more body but with an excellent resolution.

Resolve is right. Composer is one tier below HD800S. Maybe you guys still don't find best amp for HD800S. Try SAEQ PDA-1b like on Headfonia review

Every thing you wrote above your last statement is exactly why I like composer better.

That part actually just is a "copy/paste" out of my review :thinking:

May 1, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #3,182 of 3,195
Ye
That part actually just is a "copy/paste" out of my review :thinking:
Yes I kind of thought it was pasted. I’m liking the composer more and more. I don’t think I’d like more clarity than the composer gives using my portable gear. It’s just perfect and any more clarity I think would sound clinical. But I will try a HD800s at high end just to compare.

May 1, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #3,183 of 3,195
Does anyone know if there’s any plan to make a closed back version of the composer? I think that would be an awesome headphone on the go!

May 1, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #3,184 of 3,195
Does anyone know if there’s any plan to make a closed back version of the composer? I think that would be an awesome headphone on the go!
As I am also interested in this, I will forward the question to AustrianAudio.

May 1, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #3,185 of 3,195
As far as I know their answer was „no way, we can’t do that“.
That may relate to a similarly detailed closed version, not simply a better closed back than the X60 with similar tonality to the Composer, but I don’t have high hopes…

May 1, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #3,187 of 3,195
As far as I know their answer was „no way, we can’t do that“.
That may relate to a similarly detailed closed version, not simply a better closed back than the X60 with similar tonality to the Composer, but I don’t have high hopes…

So far, there has been an open and a closed version in every Austrian.Audio headphone model series.
Would also be desirable for the Composer. Especially in studios, closed headphones are needed for recording and open ones for recording control and mixing.
Composer is also a supplement to studio monitors to recognise subtleties (any errors) in the mix. Headphones are more analytical than monitors when it comes to subtleties.

May 1, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #3,188 of 3,195
The VERY sad thing is that the standard ear pads are getting VERY warm as we are entering spring/summer and there is NO sign of new ear pads.

Torben
Yes they do even in a cooled room. Nomax hinted something towards the end of the year. Hopefully there will be genuine earpads, velour for who likes them and shorter cables as options. Maybe at CanJam London will be something or before.

May 1, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #3,189 of 3,195
Yes they do even in a cooled room. Nomax hinted something towards the end of the year. Hopefully there will be genuine earpads, velour for who likes them and shorter cables as options. Maybe at CanJam London will be something or before.

It is like buying a new car in winter time with winter tires and when spring/summer comes: "No we don't have any summer tires".

Torben

May 1, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #3,190 of 3,195
Even I get too warm during longer listening sessions. I reported this to the developers right at the start of the test.
I know velour pads from AKG and Beyerdynamic, they also get warm but you don't sweat as much.

Velours/Alcantara pads are apparently still a little delayed. The pads also have to be of high quality, so the number of suppliers producing them is getting noticeably smaller.

May 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #3,191 of 3,195
So far, there has been an open and a closed version in every Austrian.Audio headphone model series.
Would also be desirable for the Composer. Especially in studios, closed headphones are needed for recording and open ones for recording control and mixing.
Composer is also a supplement to studio monitors to recognise subtleties (any errors) in the mix. Headphones are more analytical than monitors when it comes to subtleties.
I sure would love to have a closed back Composer, no question about that. For me it doesn’t even have to be 1:1… simply a new TOTL closed back from AA would do.

May 1, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #3,192 of 3,195
It is like buying a new car in winter time with winter tires and when spring/summer comes: "No we don't have any summer tires".

Torben
I know Germans like to think in cars, but your comparison is flawed. How many companies to sell summer- and winterversions of their headphones?
I only know Meze who offers two versions of pads right from the beginning, but not for different seasons but different sound. All other pads are aftermarket products.
So maybe we have to wait for Deconi and others to develope new pads .

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #3,193 of 3,195
I’m hoping hoping.. even if it’s 75% as good I’m in!

May 1, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #3,194 of 3,195
I am glad that we have the Composer 😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back